Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,627

    Default H/k AVR 254 -> Outlaw 975

    Ok folks... I haven't been here in..... I don't know...... Forever!! (7 years?)

    Anyway, I've been using a H/K AVR 254 as a processor for my great room. I don't have surround sound connected right now but will again eventually. For right now I'm using the Preouts going to an Adcom 555 to my lsi15s. So, I'm frustrated as hell with the hk's hdmi sync issues and thought the outlaw 975 looked sweet as a processor. I don't need all of the extra crap in receivers now as most of it is duplication of other capabilities I have in my system

    What I'm interested in is 2 channel sound quality of the 975. Thoughts?
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

    2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,032

    Default

    Well, the Outlaw always gets good reviews for SQ. If you can live with the limited HDMI inputs and lack of bass management, then go for it.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,627

    Default

    Thanks. On paper it fits with my minimalist desires. Most if the electronics that are in an AVR lately are totally redundant to features already in my source equipment and I've never been a big fan of room eq etc. makes me concerned that True sound quality is being sacrificed to make way for fancy sounding features.

    If the Outlaw gets me closer to the sound I had with my nakamichi preamp in my 2ch setup for now I'd be a happy dude.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    central Jersey,08859
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    You are so right .With my Yammy RX-V665 they have these settings that are suppossed to transform you into that room's enviornment. This is a bunch of b.s all it does is add either echo or delay and whithout a doubt declearify sound. An opera hall, The Roxy, Chamber Hall, Vienna Theater, Bottom Line yes all famous places if your in the real place all this does is take away from what a recording should be and adds nothing .A total waste of time ,space for better circuits or more power and if you buy into those scenes your nuts......

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    I was just researching this unit and outlaw amps in general. It seems you are looking at a unit that matches your needs. The specs look really nice...It really seems like they hit their target and made a clean minimalist unit that offers just the right amout of features at an affordable price. I have yet to read anything bad about the unit so it sounds like a good choice.

    I want to try some of their products myself.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

    2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,032

    Default

    Lowell,

    Just curious my friend. Looking at your signature and all the speakers you have, are you going to be keeping 2 separate HT/music systems ? If so, then I would forgo the receiver and focus more on a dedicated 2 channel pre amp.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Lowell,

    Just curious my friend. Looking at your signature and all the speakers you have, are you going to be keeping 2 separate HT/music systems ? If so, then I would forgo the receiver and focus more on a dedicated 2 channel pre amp.
    I just don't have the space for everything right now, so my system is a bit of a hybrid between my purist 2 ch system and my HT. I may integrate an ADCOM GFP-750, using the HT passthrough, and some form of DAC, but for right now my system is as follows...

    Sources:

    Media Server PC with HDMI video and Toslink Audio
    Apple TV - HDMI
    Dish Network - HDMI
    Playstation 3 - HDMI
    Rotel RCD-1072 CDP

    AVR -> H/K AVR-254 (this is a replacement to the 247 in my signature that just decided not to power on one day)
    Amp -> ADCOM GFA-555
    Speakers -> Lsi15's
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

    2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,032

    Default

    Gotcha man, don't think the Outlaw has enough HDMI inputs for all that though unless you plan on using an HDMI switch box. Also, if your into music by way of the computer, a dedicated dac may be up your alley.

    Another option for you is a dedicated HT processor. Of course budget is of concern but the processors from Cary, Arcam, Anthem, Classe, Bryston are also stellar in the music department. Used they can be had for real world prices, new is a stretch for most budget minded folks.
    Last edited by tonyb; 05-22-2013 at 08:45 AM.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Gotcha man, don't think the Outlaw has enough HDMI inputs for all that though unless you plan on using an HDMI switch box. Also, if your into music by way of the computer, a dedicated dac may be up your alley.

    Another option for you is a dedicated HT processor. Of course budget is of concern but the processors from Cary, Arcam, Anthem, Classe, Bryston are also stellar in the music department. Used they can be had for real world prices, new is a stretch for most budget minded folks.
    Thanks Tony. I have 3 inputs in the HK right now, so for the Apple TV (I forgot this detail) I have a toslink to the AVR for audio and HDMI going direct to INput 2 on the TV. That is how I handle 4 HDMI inputs at the moment.

    I thought about a more full featured processor, but staying budget minded at the moment. The Outlaw seems like a good option for me that, I hope, gives me some sonic improvement over using the HK as a processor. The HK keeps losing audio sync from the HDMI inputs and I have to turn it off and back on. stupid annoyance.

    Right now I plan 99% of my music from the media server and 1% on CD's through the Rotel. (to the point that I've considered selling the Rotel.) What would you recommend for a budget DAC?
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

    2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    585

    Default

    What I find interesting about Outlaw is they do not manufacture their products, They design/engineer and find someone to build it for them. I don't know if this is a bad thing or not perhaps it only keeps the cost down for the consumer, but I think moving from one builder to the next could cause some inconsistency in quality.
    Sources-Pro-ject Debut Carbon,Sony Bdp-s5100,Toshiba HD-a3(cd transport)
    Processing and Power-Onkyo TX-NR717, ATI AT1202
    Mains-Polk Audio RTi12's
    Display- LG 60PA6500
    Misc. Panamax m4300 conditioner, Blue Jeans Ten White, Blue Jeans LC1 ICs.

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Posts
    11,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremymarcinko View Post
    What I find interesting about Outlaw is they do not manufacture their products, They design/engineer and find someone to build it for them. I don't know if this is a bad thing or not perhaps it only keeps the cost down for the consumer, but I think moving from one builder to the next could cause some inconsistency in quality.
    Polk does the same thing and we haven't had any consistency of quality problems that I know of.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Polk does the same thing and we haven't had any consistency of quality problems that I know of.
    Really, what company does actually assemble their own electronics.... Not many

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell_M View Post
    Thanks Tony. I have 3 inputs in the HK right now, so for the Apple TV (I forgot this detail) I have a toslink to the AVR for audio and HDMI going direct to INput 2 on the TV. That is how I handle 4 HDMI inputs at the moment.

    What would you recommend for a budget DAC?
    None....until you see how you like the sound first with the Outlaw.

    You using the PS3 as your music server ?

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    None....until you see how you like the sound first with the Outlaw.

    You using the PS3 as your music server ?
    No. I'm using a pc with apple lossless iTunes and a digital out to my avr.

    I know I would like the adcom dac... 600 is the one I've heard. That and a gfp-750 and I be golden. I like the dac in the rotel Cdp 1073 also.

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell_M View Post
    No. I'm using a pc with apple lossless iTunes and a digital out to my avr.

    I know I would like the adcom dac... 600 is the one I've heard. That and a gfp-750 and I be golden. I like the dac in the rotel Cdp 1073 also.
    1072

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. SOLD Outlaw 950 Pre-amp.....
    By shawn474 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 06:54 PM
  2. Review Outlaw LFM-1 Plus
    By codyc1ark in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 07:03 PM
  3. For Sale Outlaw 7500 & Outlaw 990
    By Ender in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-26-2010, 10:25 PM
  4. For Sale Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro
    By bobman1235 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 03:11 PM
  5. For Sale Outlaw 990 pre/pro
    By 187CAM in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 09:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts