Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Default Dodd Audio Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes

About 15 minutes ago, I finally hooked up the Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes to my rig.

The grin on my face has not stopped since the first note. This pre is by far the best pre I have yet had the pleasure to own. it absolutely blows the doors off everything else I have tried by a VERY wide margin! The soundstage is immense, powerful and engaging in ways I have yet to find words for. I feel like that dude in the old Maxell tape poster right about now.

The backround is deep black and clean, with zero hiss or other coloration that takes away from the sound. Bass is lightning fast, deeply layered and tightly controlled with no unnatural bloat or boominess. while the highs smply sparkle without any harshnes. Midrange and in particular vocals are deeply textured and rich, drawing you into the recording and placing you directly front and center for the experience. I hate writing reviews because it is so hard to convey what the ears hear to words that make any sense, especially when the sound is better than words can describe.

I was hesitant to pull the trigger on this one, but no more. Thanks to all that talked up how good these are, because with just 70 or so in existence, I doubt I would ever have had a chance to grab another one.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (47)

I knew that you would become attached.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (26)

I purposely waited to hear your thoughts on this before I talked to you about it......didn't want to color your observations. Yes, this is a great pre. No doubt about that. The MLP responds extremely well to any type of cable changes or tubes/tube dampers and isolation devices. You should also experience a profound deepness of the bass when the music calls for it. I know you have not experienced this yet but you will.

Trust me, you will hear low tight bass [recorded well] like you haven't heard before. Congrat's John.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    I knew that you would become attached.

Back off man. it's NOT for sale!!!!
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    I purposely waited to hear your thoughts on this before I talked to you about it......didn't want to color your observations. Yes, this is a great pre. No doubt about that. The MLP responds extremely well to any type of cable changes or tubes/tube dampers and isolation devices. You should also experience a profound deepness of the bass when the music calls for it. I know you have not experienced this yet but you will.

Trust me, you will hear low tight bass [recorded well] like you haven't heard before. Congrat's John.

Tom
    I loaded up the Carverfest 2011 Carverfest disc... track 4

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Ah, Flight of the Cosmic Hippo by Bela Fleck. Enjoy my friend. Enjoy.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Ah, Flight of the Cosmic Hippo by Bela Fleck. Enjoy my friend. Enjoy.

Tom
    Yeah... that's the one. My smile is starting to take on Smilin' Jack Nicholson "Joker" proportions about now.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

John, glad you pulled the trigger after we talked.

P.S. DIBS IF YOU EVER SELL IT!!!!!!!
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

P.S. DIBS IF YOU EVER SELL IT!!!!!!!
    Don't hold your breath man.

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Don't hold your breath man.
    LOL, not planning on it, but give it a couple years . I am VERY patient

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

I just placed my MG-20's back in the rig for a while to test them before they go to their new home tomorrow. The combination sounds superb, but I fing that the modded 1.2TL's sound in many ways superior to the Maggies, with exception to pinpoint imaging. This is likely due to the huge ribbon tweeter the Magnepan possesses. All in all, I think this preamp does so much right that it's hard to find fault anywhere with it's presentation, but man does it pair well with Tube amps and big Polks.

I think I have locked in my setup for some time to come.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    I think I have locked in my setup for some time to come.

Now why on earth would you make silly talk like that? That gear is entry level you're just getting started

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Congrats nooshinjohn.. George is still regretting selling his to Tom.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Congrats big guy, I also knew you had a winner there. Heck, when that puppy came up for sale I was still counting my penny's in the jar when you snagged it. You can be pretty fast for an old timer.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Congrats big guy, I also knew you had a winner there. Heck, when that puppy came up for sale I was still counting my penny's in the jar when you snagged it. You can be pretty fast for an old timer.
    LOL, he had some encouragement/got pushed off the ledge.

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Quote Originally Posted by engtaz View Post
    Congrats nooshinjohn.. George is still regretting selling his to Tom.
    you got that right Roy! I'll live thru the event I suppose!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Thread Information