Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default RCA repair on Amp

Hi guys, so long story short, I bought a couple of monoblock amps from a gentlemen a couple of days ago. I got home and plugged them in and an extremely loud pop and buzz happened when I powered on the amps. I knew my wiring was correct and that it had to be the amps. Further troubleshooting would have meant risking blowing one of my speakers when powering on so I decided to wait.

The seller agreed to meet at a repair shop and pay for repairs. To my surprise, both amps checked out FINE. The repair shop didn't have time to actually do a real world test and plug them in to a pair of speakers.

So I get home and give them another shot and another furious pop and buzz happened so I powered down. I decided to swap interconnects from the pre-amp to the amp because the ones I was using didn't have the tightest fit. Again to my surprise the problem is fixed BUT the slightest touch to the connection at the amp resulted in the pop and buzz from both amps.

I have some extra RCA's that I ordered for a DIY project years ago and need your advice. Firstly, I'd like to know what could be causing this. Secondly, would replacing the RCA's be the best route at this point, or should I take a stab at resoldering the RCA connections inside the amp?

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Come on by and I will hook you right up. Too many variables to guess at without seeing what's inside the box, but yes, the RCA's should be replaced and maybe a few other things.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

John, you're far to kind. I'll take you up on that and get us a six pack of some nice San Diego craft brew. I would love to hear your setup too. I remember us exchanging numbers awhile back but I cleared out everything in my inbox. What's your schedule looking like?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

You've got a loose connection to/on the board that the RCA(s) are attached to.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I've seen that happen mostly with board mount RCA's on some amps that I owned or fixed for someone. Broken, loose or pulled out pins/traces. I have a Rotel 5 channel amp that was handled roughly where I had to use short wire leads from the board to the RCA.

Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

My schedule is pretty open. You are welcome anytime.

Clear the pm box so I can send you my number.
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 05-11-2013 at 02:08 AM.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Cleared the inbox! I think Monday might work, will need to check with the Mrs.

Thread Information