Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Why not Emotiva?

There seems to be a big divide on this brand. I'm considering what I want for a HT and am not sure what the reasons are for not liking Emotiva amps.

Why do people either love them or hate them?

Name:  3qplbj.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  36.8 KB
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

LOL--too funny!

Some like Fords some like Chevy....it is what it is
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Quote Originally Posted by darkling View Post
    There seems to be a big divide on this brand. I'm considering what I want for a HT and am not sure what the reasons are for not liking Emotiva amps.

For HT it's a great amp. I'd say go ahead and give it a try and let your ears be the deciding factor. I wouldn't call it a divide amongst forum members because of the 10 or so members here that don't like it there's 100x's that number of members on here, avs, and the emotiva forum that are very happy.
    Last edited by leroyjr1; 05-12-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Name:  bored-boy.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  16.1 KB
    Do you hear that buzzing noise?

Member Sales Rating: (12)

nobody really dislikes Emo here. Many of us believe there are better choices to be made if one is open to considering used options. What we dislike here are the lunatic fringe of Emo owners that turn suggesting anything else BUT Emotiva as bashing the brand. It is not bashing to believe there are better alternatives and to offer those suggestions, but the Emoette believes otherwise.

I am surprised it has not happened yet(maybe they are still asleep) but several will jump into this thread and do their very best to tout the brand and force-feed their opinion down your throat, in an unrelenting fashion until you post that you have an Emo on the way... then they will praise you for your wise decision and applaud the way you stood up to the anti Emo bashers here at CP, as if doing so were some badge of honor.

What is hated here is the behavior I have outlined, NOT the brand itself.

Prsonally, I would absolutely consider used before a new Emo, but if that is not your cup of tea, Enjoy! They build a solid product and it works well for many people. It is just not the flavor Kool-Aid I would choose for my rig.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (13)

nobody really dislikes Emo here.
    That's not true. I dislike them for their in your face, unrefined bright sound.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I think they are perfectly adequate for HT use. Just don't fall for all the advertising hype. It's rather over the top and sensational. I just spent the past 3-4 days reading the Emo boards.....lots and lots of hype and a lot of plainly wrong advice and assumptions as well a some pretty green audio people with little experience (I'm talking about the posters, not nec the admins, etc). As with anything, trying it is the best way to answer your question.

Good luck, I'm sure this will get ugly and the thread will be locked very soon.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

For home theater i'd say go for it. 5 year warranty and 30 day trial with no hassel returns. XPR-5/XPA-5 would be a no brainer. Cheap to boot!
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)

Member Sales Rating: (10)

You're best bet is to pony up & place an order for the amp you have in mind. They have a nice 30 day in home policy for you to give it a listen. Worst case scenerio is return shipping if you decide against keeping it. Now bear in mind every opinion (+/-) you hear about Emo is said about all other amps (really all audio gear) from all manufactures. No piece of gear escapes the wrath of opinions! The hardest part is to have a clear mind void of bias towards the product when you conduct your listening. Go for it & have some fun. After all your opinion is the only one that matters.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Most people who love them are less picky but there are people who have a very refined taste who do no not like them. If you are not into upmarket accessories and such then just buy one and if you don't like it send it back.

I say go with with your gut and what your funds allow. One things for sure.It will be an upgrade no matter what you choose. Go for it and enjoy!

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Good or bad Emotiva has built a pretty solid name for themselves and so many are on the bandwagon. I for one have not heard one yet.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Emotiva is decent gear for the money per watt you pay, it just doesn't hold up against the more expensive gear out there (nor should it). It's fine for what it is, it's when people make it out to be something it's not where the problem arises.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (4)

If it's in the budget and makes you happy, go nuts.
    I just wish some people could do the same with some
    of the $$$ gear. It's only a waste of money if you don't like it.
    That is the only caveat in any price range.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    You're best bet is to pony up & place an order for the amp you have in mind. They have a nice 30 day in home policy for you to give it a listen. Worst case scenerio is return shipping if you decide against keeping it. Now bear in mind every opinion (+/-) you hear about Emo is said about all other amps (really all audio gear) from all manufactures. No piece of gear escapes the wrath of opinions! The hardest part is to have a clear mind void of bias towards the product when you conduct your listening. Go for it & have some fun. After all your opinion is the only one that matters.
    That's like the best speech I've like ever read on the internet! I've been around since the beginning of the internet.

Very damn true well put!
    Full 5 channel set of Polk Audio
    Fronts - LSiM 705
    Center - LSiM 706c
    Sides - LSiM 703
    Mits WD-82842 82" DLP 3DTV
    Denon AVR-3313CI Receiver
    Emotiva stealth DC-1
    Emotiva XPA-2/Fronts XPA-3 Center-surrounds
    Oppo 103

Loving the new Family! :)

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I wouldn't recommend them for 2 channel, but I agree with Brock that they may be fine for HT.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks for all the great replies! I was expecting to hear horror stories about the Emo, and I really appreciate having my perception corrected.

Wow this is the most civilized emo thread i've seen on here yet haha, +1 on everything already said.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Thanks for all the great replies! I was expecting to hear horror stories about the Emo, and I really appreciate having my perception corrected.
    That's the bias I alluded to in my previous post. Once a notion becomes inbedded in your mind it's one tough cookie to crack. Hence a lot of negative press can sway one's opinion even if they never listened to it. They're called bandwagon jumpers. The funny part is that companies like McIntosh, Krell, Pass Labs, Adcom, Rotel, NAD & you can insert any companies name here you want but they all get slammed with both (+/-) opinions regardless of their selling price. No one has cornered the market yet with having "The Best" of anything. Audio is purely a subjective listening preference regardless how much a product costs. Don't ever bite on the notion that just because a product carries an absurd price tag that it automatically translates into sounding better then lower priced gear. That's what the companies marketing departments are for, to sway one into thinking their product is well worth the $$$$$. Get out there & get your ears on different things & come to your own conclusions.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

I likened this debate w/ one of my favorite bands and their fanatical fan base called Dead Heads. Now as I said I do like them but to say every show was a winner is nuts . A very little thesis I gave to my friends at the Dozin site . When they were good they were the best at what they did and great time was had by all.But .when they were bad they are freaking horrible. Some say oh wasn't that Slow show so tasty No it sucked the life out of you.So here it seems w/ the EMO brand you either like or you don't and each to his/her own.
    2chl- Adcom 555- NAD 1020a pre- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson - 9 outlet- Niles - 6 zone spkr selector- DCM TF 350s- ADC 303ax- KLH 331- Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs w/ ic cable (Dynamat extreme, black hole-5- Mills 0.5 resistor, liquid nails, RDO- 194 tweeters, Larry's rings, Armaflex gaskets, stained walnut tops )

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #500HD Speaker set- Sony ce 375 5 disc carosel cdp-

Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL J2060

The Emotiva's work pretty good I think for my home theater, but they are not what I use for music.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

From the lower to the upper eds of the spectrum amps are described as sounding "Bright" , "Warm", "Sterile", etc. Amps are supposed to amplify the signal and not add any character to the sound.

As already stated...The best way to get an answer is to take Emo up on the 30 day test and see for yourself. Maybe even compare the amp to some others in your collection or a friend's rig or maybe a high end audio store will be willing to let you bring it in to compare, or maybe a local audio club meeting, etc....

Talk is cheap....let YOUR ears decide. Maybe a more expensive amp will sound better ...but its more expensive! ..and as stated...even the expensive amps sound different to some.
    Last edited by WLDock; 05-13-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Amps are supposed to amplify the signal and not add any character to the sound.
    The major problem with your thought is that every piece in the chain has its own sound signature, period.

Maybe a more expensive amp will sound better ...but its more expensive!
    So what!?!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I guess the question needs some adjusting. Instead of asking yourself "why not", maybe you should ask yourself "why".

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I guess the question needs some adjusting. Instead of asking yourself "why not", maybe you should ask yourself "why".
    When asked this way, the first answer that pops up is because they are cheap, new and have a five year warranty. Sound quality is not even in the top five...

If I am building a system, Sound quality is at the top of my list. From there, I look to what I can afford, listen to everything I can in that class, and make a decision. If I am still not pleased with my choices, I look to used or just build my own.

I love that last option, because I learned more about this hobby through the process.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

And if you ask yourself why, possible reasons are:
    1) That it suits your budget for external amplification.
    2) That a lot of people have them and are pretty happy with the way they sound with their particular gear.
    3) 30-day no questions return policy, so all you risk trying one is the cost of shipping it back if you hate it.
    4) 5 year warranty.
    5) That although you can find amps that are considered better for the same price used, you run the risk of getting gear that you will have to invest money repairing. Or end up with three really nice half-working used amps in your closet like I did. (My situation is admittedly not the norm, but it's worth considering.)
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    . Amps are supposed to amplify the signal and not add any character to the sound.
    Better designs which generally are more expensive are usually much more neutral. I can assure you Emo amps are NOT neutral in and of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    Maybe even compare the amp to some others in your collection or a friend's rig or maybe a high end audio store will be willing to let you bring it in to compare, or maybe a local audio club meeting, etc....
    No "maybe" about it. How do you know what the Emo sounds like unless you compare it to other amps in and above it's price range? Many Emo owners go from an anemic AVR to separates and then crown the Emo gear as the best there is. That's a piss poor way of determining anything, except that it might be better than an anemic AVR. See where I'm going with this and why I stated earlier that many (not all) Emo owners are a little green in that they haven't listened to a lot of gear to get experience. Sure there are some owners who are experienced and still prefer Emo gear, and that's fantastic. It's the other larger percentage that claim it's the best when they have nothing in their experience to compare it to. At that point is when the arguing seems to begin.

Just some food for thought.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by heartystatue View Post
    One things for sure.It will be an upgrade no matter what you choose. Go for it and enjoy!
    How do you know? He hasn't stated what he has or what he wants to use the Emo gear for. See, it's these kind of statements, innocuous or not, that start down the road to arguments. You have NO IDEA if it's going to be an upgrade, but you state it emphatically like it's a foregone conclusion because it's Emo. You've bought into the marketing hype of just regurgitating the mantra. Irritating and why people get rubbed the wrong way with Emo-ettes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not stating it won't be an upgrade. I have no idea since I don't have a basis to make such an opinion.

H9

Thread Information