Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Updates and looking for a new bookshelf

Long time no post, well, long story short,I decided to sell my Monitor silver RX2 bookshelfs, looking to improve my sound. I have a budget of 1000 usd for a pair of bookshelfs, preferrably new, for my two channel system, NAD c316 bee i tegrated, and matching cd player. Problem is, i am restricted to buy online, and it is difficult to hear beforehand.

I always wanted to give the lsi series an opportunity, so I can grab a pair of 7's or 9' from polk ebay store. I think the lsim703 are out of my price range.

Ay other suggestions in this price range? I know there are many options, currently i am considering psb imagine b, gallo classico cl2, ascend sierra. Amongst others. By the way, now i am listening to my energy cb5 as a replacement for the monitors, I had them in the office. Actually I think i like them more, they sound warmer, but the highs are really well defined. I also have an epik sub in my two channel rig.

Thanks!
    mains: Energy RC-50
    center: Energy RC-LCR
    surrounds: polkaudio TSi300
    Velodyne DLS-R 4000
    NAD T747
    NAD C515bee
    ADCOM GFA 7605
    PS3 Slim
    Marantz DV4001
    Panasonic TC-P46S1
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Logitech Harmony One

Quote Originally Posted by dfledezma View Post
    Long time no post, well, long story short,I decided to sell my Monitor silver RX2 bookshelfs, looking to improve my sound. I have a budget of 1000 usd for a pair of bookshelfs, preferrably new, for my two channel system, NAD c316 bee i tegrated, and matching cd player. Problem is, i am restricted to buy online, and it is difficult to hear beforehand.

I always wanted to give the lsi series an opportunity, so I can grab a pair of 7's or 9' from polk ebay store. I think the lsim703 are out of my price range.

Ay other suggestions in this price range? I know there are many options, currently i am considering psb imagine b, gallo classico cl2, ascend sierra. Amongst others. By the way, now i am listening to my energy cb5 as a replacement for the monitors, I had them in the office. Actually I think i like them more, they sound warmer, but the highs are really well defined. I also have an epik sub in my two channel rig.

Thanks!
    I owned a pair of Monitor Audio RS6 towers. I haven't spend a lot of time with the RX line but I can speak to the way MA voices their speakers. As you know, they are very FORWARD, bright (good bright), and great with vocals. Having spent a few months with my LSi9's, the dramatic difference between the two might leave you wanting something more. I like the LSi9, but it is just to laid back at times.

The PSB's IMO would be a perfect fit for you. I love the way they voice their speakers. They're more balanced & always presented instruments the way they actually sound. I think the RX's might dig a little deeper in the bass region. Both are rear ported so you can adjust accordingly in your room.

Thanks!

Although I liked the monitors, I always felt there was something missing. They never really caught my ears, I think they miss the wow factor. In fact, at least for me, I believe they lacked good highs, they sounded a bit flat.

Now that I´m using a pair of small Energy CB5, I´m really liking how the high frequencies sound on these little speakers. I had them in the office with a little NuForce desktop amp, now they really sing with the NAD.

The PSB is one of my strong choices now, either the Imagine Mini, or maybe Imagine B. But I´m very curious about TOTEM, either the Mites or the dreamcatcher. I already spoke with two AD in San Antonio, since I have a trip there at the end of may, maybe a could grab a pair! I was a bit afraid because they are rather small speakers, and my living room is open to the kitchen, but if my little Energy´s do a great job, I can imagine Totem will exceed them.

Now the question is, Dreamcatcher or Mites?
    Velodyne DLS-R 4000
    NAD T747
    NAD C515bee
    ADCOM GFA 7605
    PS3 Slim
    Marantz DV4001
    Panasonic TC-P46S1
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Logitech Harmony One

Perhaps Sonus Faber Venere? Also, I was going to mention the Usher Be-718, but the one that was on A'gon for the last two weeks is no longer posted. You could look at the X-718 if you want a new speaker.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I have the chance of get a pair of Rainmakers fro 799, demo/display models, apparently like new. Or new mites for 775, new dreamcatcher for 700.

Only problem is that the rainmakers are mahogany, whilst I can order the ohter in any color.

At the end, sonic quality is most important, of course. Will the rainmakers be a great leap over the smaller models?
    Velodyne DLS-R 4000
    NAD T747
    NAD C515bee
    ADCOM GFA 7605
    PS3 Slim
    Marantz DV4001
    Panasonic TC-P46S1
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Logitech Harmony One

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Zu Omen bookshelves are in your budget. If you want to do away with the stands alltogether, Omen Dirty Weekend floorstanders are in your budget and have a relatively small footprint. They will have no problem filling your room with sound.

Quite frankly if I were in your shoes I would scan the Polk Direct EBay store and would wait till some LSiM 703s show up. The refurbs are in your budget and trust me they will be worth the wait!

I have the Totem Hawks and they are really great speakers for two channel listening, however, they are over your budget. I have heard a lot of people rave about the rainmakers and if you have the space I would get those those. They run a little large for bookshelves. Just search this forum as there are a lot of positive reviews. Another option is the arro line which is their smallest floorstander. Very attractive and slim. Good luck.
    Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
    Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4

Member Sales Rating: (10)

these have been getting rave reviews and they won't break the bank. http://www.highfidelityreview.com/usher-s520.html
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The 703s can be had for a shade over 1k on eBay right now. You might also consider the Wharfedale Jade 1.

Well, I decided to pull the trigger on the Rainmakers! I hope they sound as good as the reviews said!
    Velodyne DLS-R 4000
    NAD T747
    NAD C515bee
    ADCOM GFA 7605
    PS3 Slim
    Marantz DV4001
    Panasonic TC-P46S1
    Belkin PureAV PF60
    Logitech Harmony One

Would love to hear what you think of the Totems. I have a pair of Mites myself and absolutely LOVE them. Fantastic little speaker!
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by dfledezma View Post
    Well, I decided to pull the trigger on the Rainmakers! I hope they sound as good as the reviews said!
    The Rainmakers are fantastic speakers, but you need good gear to run them on. If you try to run them on runt gear your ears will make you pay for it.

I was recommending them to a few guys here locally, and they all said they didn't like them at all. I went up to the shop where they heard them and they had them hooked into some not-so-great NAD integrated and they did sound pretty flat and lifeless. I see you have NAD gear in your sig, hopefully your gear will be a better fit for them, if not then get ready for another upgrade!
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Some of the best speakers out there, come off as a bit lack-luster at first. What you're hearing is accurate tonal linearity, give them time. Lesser speakers tend to accentuate certain tonal characteristics as a way to draw you in, but later become fatiquing.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Thread Information