Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default RTA-12B Crossover Recap

Hello,

Just completed my first speaker modification, a full recap of my RTA-12B's. I decided to go with ERSE Pulse X metallized polypropylene caps after reading some favorable reviews on them, and I didn't have an unlimited budget. Total cost was just over $100 with shipping, only took me one night of installing them because I was so excited to get them in. So far, I've only got about 15 hours of power ran through them so I know I have more burn time to go but I can already tell a clarity difference and a stronger, tighter low end sound. I hope it continues to get better, which I'm sure it will.
    I've been debating doing other mods, I've read many people dampening the inside of the cabinets, and using dynamat on the driver baskets. I've also heard that getting rid of the fuse will also help with extra clarity in the tweeters. We'll see what happens down the line but for now, I'm very pleased with the sound of these newly capped 12B's! Here's a few pictures of them. Hopefully that link works, if not I guess just copy paste it. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zu70rydipa1180f/6N4fxWg3qz

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Congratulations.I hope it burns it very nicely for you.I have 2 pair and i have been thinking about digging them out and fixing them up.They are great speakers.

Congrats! I have RTA 12C's that I did the full monty on. Other mods to consider are installing hurricane nuts or Larry's Rings to tightly couple the MW's to the front baffle, and installing a strip of Black Hole 5 on the interior cabinet wall directly opposite the MW's.

These are all pretty easy to do and make a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Not too expensive either.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Looks pretty cool! Too bad ya gotta solder though...a skill i sure don't have and never did actually
    Computer room

Rega RP1 w/Performance Pack
    Vienna Acoustics Bach Classic
    Magnavox CDB650 transport
    Modded MSB DAC
    Pioneer F-91 Tuner
    Lounge Audio MM phono preamp w/LCR RIAA Correction
    Jolida JD1501 Integrated Amp

H/T

Samsung Plasma
    Outlaw 950 pre/pro
    Tannoy Saturn 8's
    Hsu sub
    Emotiva UPA-500 5-channel amp
    Adcom GCD-600
    Philips Turntable
    Battery powered phono pre

Garage

Jennings Research Square
    Custom tube preamp
    Yamaha M-65
    Philips 935
    Modded MSB Link DAC

Haha yea soldering is just a small part of it... I'm definitely not the best, but I can get the job done. The toughest part was probably just fitting the new caps on the board. The new 55 uF cap is a TANK compared to the old one so that was a little tough. Overall I think this is a really good mod to improve the sound, and a pretty quick one as well. Next I'll be looking into the other mods that I mentioned before. Making great speakers sound even better, gotta love it!

I think removing/replacing the polyswitch with a .5 Ohm resistor was a pleasant surprise for me on the high end (I just did my 10B's last weekend). I share your feelings about improvement to the mids/lows; I'm very happy overall!
    Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
    B&O TX2 Turntable
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
    Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
    LG LST-3410a OTA DVR
    Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
    Optoma HD65 Projector

Thread Information