Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default After seeing the awesome systems here, this one is kinda pathetic. hehe

I recently purchased a Klipsch promedia 2.1 system. A fellow retiree/PC gamer acquaintance sent me his promedia 4.1 system, and I replaced the subwoofers in the 4.1, and replaced the front Klipsch satellites with a set of Polk monitor 30s. It sounds incredible to me, especially for gaming. Since my sound card is not very good, and doesn't have a very good crossover, the Polks are much better sounding, because more bass is sent to them than the Klipschs could handle.

Anyway. for the price of two replacement subs and the Polks on sale, I just love this setup. Now I need to find a good digital receiver to better control the sound, as my friend has 4 more satellites he's sending me. So I'll have TEN Klipsch satellites and the two Polks to play around with.

EDIT: Of course, I'll certainly need a decent sub to go with that type of setup.
    Last edited by trog69; 05-19-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

We all start somewhere.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (2)

The previous post is spot on; and - if you like it, it's good. Full stop. You don't have to defend, or explain, yourself to anyone.

Here, post a photo of this over your hifi; it will make both of you feel superior :-)

all the best,
    mrh

Trog, keep expanding man. The more you listen and fool around with a system is when you will find the one you love.
    Receiver: Denon 1912
    Speakers:
    Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 70s (x2)
    Rears: Polk Audio Monitor 50 (x2)
    Center: Polk Audio Monitor 70
    KLH Sub GFX-550

Member Sales Rating: (55)

The rig that I've had for basically the last twenty years is probably the most accurate and revealing system I've owned. It isn't the one that I had the most fun with though. Audio is a better journey taken step by step, not in one great leap. One great leap leaves little appreciation for the road traveled.

Step by step till your hooked.

George got it right, it's way more fun to make incremental steps to get to your final goal, whatever that mat be
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

As long as you have what you love........Who cares.
    Kenwood KR-V8070
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center
    Energy 10 Sub
    Panamax M4300-PM Power Conditioner

Working on updating my set up

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Enjoy the changes you have already performed and between games contemplate the affordable changes you may what to try. That is where the fun is.
    pre VAC Standard LE, power VAC PA100/100 phi upgrade, analog Origin Live Aurora Mk2, Origin Live Encounter Mk3c, Benz Ebony H, digital Lector 0.6t, speakers Thiel CS2.4, Rel Strata III, cables Audience AU24 e IC, Audience AU24 e SC, power Audience aR1p, Audience aR2p, Audience PowerCord e

I agree with everyone else. It is always fun having new things to try out, and in the end you can just sell them if you don't like them! Heck, go look at the topic of speaker hoarding and some people have 30+ speakers laying around not being used, it is all part of the fun in this
    Receiver: Denon 1912
    Speakers:
    Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 70s (x2)
    Rears: Polk Audio Monitor 50 (x2)
    Center: Polk Audio Monitor 70
    KLH Sub GFX-550

You will quickly learn that there is always something better than what you have, and it costs a lot of $ to run with the big boys. Many times, ignorance is bliss when it comes to audio equipment!
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio LSi15 x 2
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio LSiC
    Rear Speakers: Polk Audio LSiF/X x 2
    Subwoofers: Polk Audio PSW505 x 2
    AVR: Denon AVR-3313CI
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    The previous post is spot on; and - if you like it, it's good. Full stop. You don't have to defend, or explain, yourself to anyone.

Here, post a photo of this over your hifi; it will make both of you feel superior :-)

OMG a good friend had one of those at the time I thought it was the shiznit...

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    We all start somewhere.
    Absolutely. As long as your system sounds good to you for your budget, you're set!

I'm sorry for resurrecting the dead, but just a note to say thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I have found a nice little starter Sony 7.1ch dig. receiver I got on sale, and a Polk Audio PSW505 I somehow landed for $150 @ Newegg! After break in and finally figuring out how to work the receiver, I've ditched the Klipsch sub units-though I'd love to be able to use them as a solid mid-bass-and have my old journeyman Bose 301s I dusted off and now have as mains. For a PC on-board sound replacement, the sound is phenominal!
    As for addicting hobbies, I've caught the jones, I think. I'd love to have another PSW505 and a better set of main speakers, plus for right now, I'm hunting for a wabb...I mean, a good low-priced center channel speaker. I will likely go with a Polk Audio model, and upgrade the mains with better Polks to match, with the Monitor 30s as main surrounds, and the Klipschs as front or rear surrounds.

EDIT: I meant, using the Klipsch satellites as front/rear surrounds. Also, I might just grab a Polk Audio center channel and then save up for a really nice pair of bookshelves that can be bi-amped, thus I'll also need a stereo/ dual-output mono amp as well. Lots of options, not enough life left!
    Last edited by trog69; 07-13-2013 at 07:43 AM.

my journey started in very much the same way... tired of crappy computer audio, though I went in the direction of 2 channel as I don't need a surround system for gaming. It still amazes me how I went from just buying a DAC and hooking up gear I had laying around to where I am now.
    The second I hooked up my dusty old NAD stuff and my old Polk RTA 11T's via a Matrix DAC, it sounded better than anything ever hooked up to my computer, but the speakers were a bit muddy. I knew things could sound better, but didn't know where to start. I had never before thought I could actually work on my own speakers... what was inside the enclosure was a mystery to me.
    This place has been a godsend of knowledge, motivation, and encouragement.
    You are correct about endless options, but you are in the right place if you need help narrowing the field. The best part is that it sounds like you are already having a lot of fun, and the journey should always be that... fun.
    Just curious.... why are you wanting bookies that can be bi-amped?
    Polk RTA 11T ....new Xovers( Gen1 + Mundorf MOX), rewired, damped, Armacell, rings, spikes, RDO-194....
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Peachtree DAC-IT
    Morrow, Huffman cables
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

A friend of mine showed me the difference when he disconnected the amp from his tweets and used wires to jump the connectors-as a standard speaker would be connected, and played some music. When he set back to bi-amped, the difference was night and day. Just incredible separation and stage. I was blown away. heh.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    The rig that I've had for basically the last twenty years is probably the most accurate and revealing system I've owned. It isn't the one that I had the most fun with though. Audio is a better journey taken step by step, not in one great leap. One great leap leaves little appreciation for the road traveled.

Well said!!
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...