+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Krell KSA-250

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    let me guess Emotiva...coming out of the closet Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    lol.
    Next time I'm over there I'm gonna have to pop the cover on that Classe to make sure it's a Classe inside.

Fairly sure Carl meant to say couldn't buy a new amp these days that would sound as good as that Krell without dropping 10 large! I'm all in for that and don't have 10 large for an amp.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Next time I'm over there I'm gonna have to pop the cover on that Classe to make sure it's a Classe inside.
    Yeah,we might begin to see a new trend where by folks are velcroing GFA555 face plates to their Emo's for photo's posted on CP.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Yeah I failed English class. Thank goodness for spell check! Back to my Emotiva!
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by schwarcw View Post
    Yeah I failed English class. Thank goodness for spell check! Back to my Emotiva!
    I need help with the classes you didn't fail.....the thermal stuff. I'm thinking of water cooling the KSA! More push lock fittings in the wall, small car radiator and water pump in the basement. I need help with friction loss from wall shear stress caused by turbulent flow in walled tubing.

I should have the room all set up this weekend. I'll use the more powerful Sanders amp to run the bass modules. (Now I need a another level on the amp stand!) Also made some decoupling stands for the speakers.

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Sennheiser HD650
    Dynavector 17D3
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo...again View Post
    I am officially offended. You guys were in Ohio and didn't come over.

I'm a decent host. Just ask Doug & Brock
    He was, fantastic. And he owns a GTI too. Not bad at all.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
    I look forward to hearing how this sounds compared to the sanders
    I had my get together June 22. I didn’t want to influence anyone with my impressions prior to them hearing it. Some folks were running late so I only had 2 or 3 folks here for the amp compare and they shared my impressions after hearing both amps.

There is around a 100 WPC at 4 Ohm advantage to the Sanders and more important a gain difference between the two that created less than ideal circumstances for comparison. With the Krell, panels were a few dB softer and much more laid back compared to the bass amp. When I reduced the bass/mid bass active settings I could get a better balance but lows lacked in dynamics. To make it work I would have to boost the treble relative to the bass. If it were the other way, I could attenuate a hot panel amp down.

In an attempt to make it work prior to the meet, I tried a Behringer DCX2496 UltraDrive Pro digital active crossover. With that I could really get aggressive with slope, 48dB / octave compared to my 24dB / octave analog and also lower the xover point. I could also boost the panel amp independent of the bass amp. That worked great to balance the amps but unfortunately the Behringer introduced a low level hum from the panels that I could not eliminate. I had a dead quiet system before that was really annoying.

I would also get distortion at above 90dB listening levels with the Behringer and I was no where close to clipping on the input or output based on the UltraDrive’s front panel LED’s. Now I don’t listen at those levels all the time but will not be denied it if I choose to and without any distortion.

So in my case with the InnerSound MK II active bass amp, the Sanders amp works out better than the Krell on the panels. I don’t even want to think of having two KSA-250’s in the same room but it would be interesting to try one connected to the active low pass outputs.

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Sennheiser HD650
    Dynavector 17D3
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Well it seems like I need to start putting one of sanders on the horizon as the claims about his amps being good for panels are founded

I don’t even want to think of having two KSA-250’s in the same room but it would be interesting to try one connected to the active low pass outputs.
    Rich, you do that and you wont need to ever use your heater in winter. Heck just put your water heater on it and you wont need to heat your water to keep it hot either...
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Well it seems like I need to start putting one of sanders on the horizon as the claims about his amps being good for panels are founded
    You need to put a pair of my tube amps on your list as well.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    You need to put a pair of my tube amps on your list as well.
    Will you take a kidney as payment John? I got two but only need one ......

And you wanna do a 9 channel set of amps for me for my HT in the house when we buy it

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

I've tried quite a few amps on the panels and the InnerSound ESL MK II and Sanders amps have been the best so far. The difference between them are the Sanders uses larger toroidals with improved transistors. The Sanders has worked well with some conventional speakers too, some not. Roger has a 30 day free trial. His amp was one of the few audio things I ever bought new. He took some gear in on trade; it was priced at $3K then.

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Rich, you do that and you wont need to ever use your heater in winter. Heck just put your water heater on it and you wont need to heat your water to keep it hot either...
    Crazy as it sounds, I had a moment where I thought of water cooling the Krell if I kept it. Large aluminum water blocks bolted to the sides. A little math for water flow, a radiator with cooling fan and water pump in basement, plumbing through wall.

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Sennheiser HD650
    Dynavector 17D3
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Are you selling the Krell?
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Crazy as it sounds, I had a moment where I thought of water cooling the Krell if I kept it. Large aluminum water blocks bolted to the sides. A little math for water flow, a radiator with cooling fan and water pump in basement, plumbing through wall.
    Not Crazy, being a PC guy watercooling is something I am intimately familiar with . You coulda then taken that hot water and used it for "radiant" heat in the rest of your house on the floors.....

That would be crazy right there

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Not Crazy, being a PC guy watercooling is something I am intimately familiar with .
    About 10 years ago I was heavily involved in on line gaming, over-volting, overclocking and water cooling PC's.

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Are you selling the Krell?
    That is on hold right now; it is a kick ass amp and I may keep it. I also have some interest locally but need to get it over to the guys house so he can try it. If it were for sale and needed to be shipped, I'd have to build a wood box for it and attach it to a skid for freight shipping. I have the original box but the internal packing shell was missing.

IIRC Ed Savinon has another stereo KSA-250 for sale.

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Sennheiser HD650
    Dynavector 17D3
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

I love that KSA-250! A nice preamp and the Krell will knock the wind out of your chest. Talk about dynamics!
    Carl

Thread Information