Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Surround Sound placement, need confirmation before I route my wires...

Okay my speaker setup is Polk RTI A5 mains, CSI A6 center, and FXI A6 surround sound, my sub will probably end up being a SVS PB1000...trying to figure out the FXI A6 placement as I am about to finish my floors and need to route my wires before doing so...

This panoramic picture shows the setup, the couch will go to the right of the patio door and you can see approximately where the TV will be with the tape on the wall. It is approximately 9 feet from the "TV" to the door so the seating position will be approximatley 7.5 to 8 feet from the TV.

The FXI A6 won't fit between the door and the window, only 10.5 inches so I can mount it above the door however that is approximately 6.75 feet tall, is that fine? There is a pillar on the other side so I can easily meet match it's height on that side.

I also have the option of mounting them at whatever height I want if I mount them on the back wall however the back wall is almost 15 feet away from the location I discussed above, so it will be just a little less than 15 feet from the back of the listening position.

The other side, you can see the column I could mount the other side on (right of the blue broom with the dark sticks leaning on it), as you can see I cannot mount it to the left of the patio door as straight across from that location it opens up into the kitchen

So what do you guys think, mount them at 6.75 feet off the floor or 15 feet behind seating position?

Quote Originally Posted by PolishDude View Post
    Okay my speaker setup is Polk RTI A5 mains, CSI A6 center, and FXI A6 surround sound, my sub will probably end up being a SVS PB1000...trying to figure out the FXI A6 placement as I am about to finish my floors and need to route my wires before doing so...
    The FXI A6 won't fit between the door and the window, only 10.5 inches so I can mount it above the door however that is approximately 6.75 feet tall, is that fine? There is a pillar on the other side so I can easily meet match it's height on that side.
    I also have the option of mounting them at whatever height I want if I mount them on the back wall however the back wall is almost 15 feet away from the location I discussed above, so it will be just a little less than 15 feet from the back of the listening position.
    The other side, you can see the column I could mount the other side on (right of the blue broom with the dark sticks leaning on it), as you can see I cannot mount it to the left of the patio door as straight across from that location it opens up into the kitchen
    So what do you guys think, mount them at 6.75 feet off the floor or 15 feet behind seating position?
    Well for starters, I wouldn't have gotten the FXiA6's........................................... ..................................

JUST KIDDING

According to the Polk Technologies, The FX's offer great flexibility when it comes to mounting locations. So, that said, either position should work for you.

My question for you is; can you wire for both locations??

It would require some effort, but in the long run would be the best thing to do. It will eliminate the what-if's for you to wire for both.

Naturally, the benefit of wiring for both will allow you to run Audyssey in both positions, enabling you the luxury of listening to your new surrounds in both positions in question, giving you the best answer to your question of "which one".
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Only issue with wiring for both locations is that I have to start with putting the wire in from the top and lowering it down, since I am running it in the floor not through the ceiling, so I would have two holes in some wall with wires hanging out that I would not be using.

Then if it were me, I'd make some mock cable runs, making cable lengths from the AVR to both of the "would be" locations, just straight from Points A to B. Then make some mock speaker stands to have them as close to the "would be" locations as possible. Run Audyssey at one location, do some sound tests. Then do the same for the other location.

Sure, there's going to be some work involved, but you're planning on making a decision here that's not going to be very forgiving if you decide to change your mind, so, that's what I would do.
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Quote Originally Posted by PolishDude View Post
    Only issue with wiring for both locations is that I have to start with putting the wire in from the top and lowering it down, since I am running it in the floor not through the ceiling, so I would have two holes in some wall with wires hanging out that I would not be using.
    Leave the wire (with enough extension-length for different final locations) in the wall at both locations and hide the hole with non-functioning outlet covers (you could use speaker outlet, cable TV, etc.). That way when you finish the room you can still test both locations to see what location is best.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Thorton View Post
    Leave the wire (with enough extension-length for different final locations) in the wall at both locations and hide the hole with non-functioning outlet covers (you could use speaker outlet, cable TV, etc.). That way when you finish the room you can still test both locations to see what location is best.
    The problem with that is I would have random covers about 7 feet in the air on either the back wall or the side walls depending on which location I would choose and I don't think that would look too nice. I think I am just going to go with above the door and on the pillar, that way all my stereo, tv, etc are on one half of the room and the other can be a nice sitting area.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff4rfc View Post
    Then if it were me, I'd make some mock cable runs, making cable lengths from the AVR to both of the "would be" locations, just straight from Points A to B. Then make some mock speaker stands to have them as close to the "would be" locations as possible. Run Audyssey at one location, do some sound tests. Then do the same for the other location.

Sure, there's going to be some work involved, but you're planning on making a decision here that's not going to be very forgiving if you decide to change your mind, so, that's what I would do.
    As you can see, my place is nowhere near ready to have a TV setup with mock locations, unfortunately I won't have furniture and the rest of my stuff until after the floors are done so that isn't a possibility either. I am sure both locations will work, I just have to decide which one will probably be better!

Thread Information