Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Can one have to many speakers?

My wife is starting to get mad because I keep bringing home speakers. It's not might fault SDA's are big. I have tried telling her that I am getting great deals on them but it doesn't help. So here is my question, can one actually have to many speakers?
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.
    Amplifiers: Carver TFM-25 (x2), Adcom GFA 555 and a Dynaco ST-70
    Pre: Carver C-1, Adcom GFP 710, Adcom GFP 555

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Yep, you can have too many. I like to think of it as anything else of value. If you aren't using it, don't plan on giving it away to a fellow family member, etc..., you can't take it with you.

Only my opinion, obviously...

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Lol! I have too many. What I do though is also collect vintage receivers and integrated amps, amps and preamps, and turntables and tape players, etc., so that I'm able to use most of the speakers.

Well, if you ever need to sell any speakers and they are the monitor line, I am looking to purchase some =)

and to answer to your question, no one can own too many speakers
    Receiver: Denon 1912
    Speakers:
    Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 70s (x2)
    Rears: Polk Audio Monitor 50 (x2)
    Center: Polk Audio Monitor 70
    KLH Sub GFX-550

i have four sets, so i have three sets too many.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I am the wrong person to deign to offer advice on this topic.
    all the best,
    mrh

What happened is I picked up a pair of SDA 2As with the original interconnect cable and brochure for $150.00. These were in great shape and for the price plus a 30 minute drive I could not pass them up. I think once I get the basement finished and everything moved down there she wont complain. In all fairness, having a pair of SDA 1Cs, SDA 2As, and a pair of RTA 12s is a little much for living room.
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by bored184 View Post
    What happened is I picked up a pair of SDA 2As with the original interconnect cable and brochure for $150.00. These were in great shape and for the price plus a 30 minute drive I could not pass them up. I think once I get the basement finished and everything moved down there she wont complain. In all fairness, having a pair of SDA 1Cs, SDA 2As, and a pair of RTA 12s is a little much for living room.
    LOL, your not even close. I believe Audio_Alan has a almost complete collection of every vintage speaker from the Monitor, SDA, and RTA lines IIRC, he's even got some duplicates I believe. Not sure if he's got any of the LS models.

In all I think he's got like 15 pairs of polks or so. And I know George Grand has a bunch of stuff stored speaker wise. Would be interested in someday seeing his massive stockpile of speakers and gear. Same with Mhardy and onebadchad
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (24)

I'm at 4 pairs currently in the home with another set on their way and then possibly another pair to round out at 6 and thats between 3 system, 2 bedroom and one main 2 channel room.

Its only a problem if someone thinks it is, which in that case just replace said person with speakers and no more complaining.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Nah! You just need a bigger house! There is another member here who also has every Monitor and SDA ever made sitting in his downstairs family room. He doesn't just have ONE of each, in some cases he has different versions of the same model SDAs. It is a SIGHT to behold and you can't even move in that room, which is VERY LARGE. The guy's wife must be a saint!

I think he should just turn his stash into a Polk Museum and charge a small entry fee to view this "history". He also has an LSi full surround system, maybe two HTs of LSis?

So, I'd say you're not even in the same league as some here!

Enjoy!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

You have reached the point of too many speakers when your wife starts making good on her threats.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade)
    Parasound: C/PT-600, HCA-800II; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RM7, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DRA-825R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz PM5004, CD5004

Depends on the context but for the most part no, you cannot have too many speakers. I mean come on....some time in the future you may need an extra set for some purpose you don't know about then the extra speakers then become needed and you no longer have extra....

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Can one have to many speakers?
    Yes.

Two ears, two speakers. Great gear, stellar recording.....what else can one ask for? That's bliss in my book. Sell all of them and take the funds to get a great set of speakers......just my 2cents. YMMV.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by cstmar01 View Post
    Its only a problem if someone thinks it is, which in that case just replace said person with speakers and no more complaining.
    My thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by cstmar01 View Post
    I'm at 4 pairs currently in the home with another set on their way and then possibly another pair to round out at 6 and thats between 3 system, 2 bedroom and one main 2 channel room.

Haha, I dont quite see that going over well!

Quote Originally Posted by skrol View Post
    You have reached the point of too many speakers when your wife starts making good on her threats.
    Exactly! I am pretty sure I am getting pretty close to that point now.

Exactly! I am pretty sure I am getting pretty close to that point now.
    I would be glad to take some off your hands for free . I will even show up whenever is convenient to you and load them all by myself hehehe....

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

Sitting idle as of today are a pair of SDA-2, pair of LSi15s, one LSiC, pair of LSi7, another center channel, and two other pair of Polks that I forgot the model number. Show up with a 12 pack of good beer and you can have the SDA2s. I will throw in a home entertainment center rack with glass doors, drawers, and a cabinet for free.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Sitting idle as of today are a pair of SDA-2, pair of LSi15s, one LSiC, pair of LSi7, another center channel, and two other pair of Polks that I forgot the model number. Show up with a 12 pack of good beer and you can have the SDA2s. I will throw in a home entertainment center rack with glass doors, drawers, and a cabinet for free.
    Wow, somebody better take Fox up on this offer. I dont think it gets much better!

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Good beer AND SDA's, sounds like a nice evening to me!

Member Sales Rating: (10)

joe857 reported

A few varibles to consider. if WAF is hapening then yeah you have to many after one set. Room enough for them. Do you use them or are they trailer queens like so many muscle cars that people invest in and never drive. Personally if you can afford it w/o any worries whatsoever then go for it. You can have multiple sets and use them .I do but then again I haven't really found my absolute go to speakers either. There is that other extreme under the pretense of variety and collecting but it's really a form of hoarding.
    2chl- Adcom 555- NAD 1020a pre- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson - 9 outlet- Niles - 6 zone spkr selector- DCM TF 350s- ADC 303ax- KLH 331- Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs w/ ic cable (Dynamat extreme, black hole-5- Mills 0.5 resistor, liquid nails, RDO- 194 tweeters, Larry's rings, Armaflex gaskets, stained walnut tops )

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #500HD Speaker set- Sony ce 375 5 disc carosel cdp-

Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL J2060

Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    You can have multiple sets and use them .I do but then again I haven't really found my absolute go to speakers either. There is that other extreme under the pretense of variety and collecting but it's really a form of hoarding.
    Both aspects in this case are quite true for me. I haven't really found my go to speaker set. I like the SDA 1C's because they started me down this rabbit hole but the RTA-12 with the peerless is also a great sounding speaker. The highs on the RTA's are far superior to the SDA's IMHO. That may change when I eventually get around to modding the SDA's. The hoarding comes into play with the recently acquired SDA 2A's. Those were just to good a deal to pass up and as of yet i have not had any time to swap them in and give them a listen.

Well, if I had to pare down* I think I could live with three pairs.
    Quad ESLs
    Altec 604E Duplexes

both of these get the midrange oh-so-right... but the Quads are polite and the Duplexes are capable of real "they are here" dynamics. They fulfill different needs.

The third pair, of course, are the Monitor 7As that I bought in 1978. They're with me 'til the end (barring calamity, of course).

* Yeah, I should, but that's another story...
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Yes. I was thinking of thinning down this past weekend. Fired up the SDA 2.3 that I hadn't listened to in a while and they take a lot of space...had some beers and lost a few hours...nope keepers for a bit. Also in rotation, RTA15TL, LSI9, 52" soundbar, MicroPro3000 sub.

Thought I should clean out the closet and my wife actually says I should keep the stuff until house remodelling is done. Out of rotation.... RT5000p, MicroPro3000 sub, CS400, fortress modded LSI9, sonocap LSI7, LSIfx,PSW150, RT8, 52" soundbar...not sure what else.

But I have sold some...Monitor 7b (still miss them once in a while really enjoyed them), SDA 2B, RT800, RT55, and some CSi40s to avoid horder status...

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    I would be glad to take some off your hands for free . I will even show up whenever is convenient to you and load them all by myself hehehe....
    You sure they will; fit in your car? You may need to borrow my truck.

My wife is starting to get mad because I keep bringing home speakers. It's not might fault SDA's are big. I have tried telling her that I am getting great deals on them but it doesn't help. So here is my question, can one actually have to many speakers?
    ....you have to hide them. Your basement idea is a fine idea. I have a 4 bedroom house with lots of closets. Basement. Garage w/upstairs. My wife just got back from NC and i purchased 2 other systems n hide them before she even saw them.LOL. I have alot of spare sets just in case. Too each its own. When she ask's me i tell her she doesnt need to know'in a good way..But there comes a time where you have to draw the line as you better your selection/choices....

Quote Originally Posted by indyhawg View Post
    You sure they will; fit in your car? You may need to borrow my truck.
    As long as they end up at my house and dont somehow find their ways to yours instead lol...

Sales Rating
    Gear

Tell your wife, this - do you want me bring more speakers home or women?

Quote Originally Posted by nypapaya View Post
    Tell your wife, this - do you want me bring more speakers home or women?
    hmm - I guess the answer could be a win-win proposition. I guess...
    all the best,
    mrh

Thread Information