Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Why does Polk seem to not want to upgrade their subs?

Why does it seem that Polk does not want to upgrade their subs to compete in the higher end market?

With all the technology out there and the availability of higher end sub such as HSU, SVS ect that Polk would not use some of the same technology to their advantage.

It is not that Polk does not have the capability or the finances either. And Polk seems more than capable of making it happen also.
    Kenwood KR-V8070
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center
    Energy 10 Sub
    Panamax M4300-PM Power Conditioner

Working on updating my set up

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Yes.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Good answer.... hahaha
    Kenwood KR-V8070
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center
    Energy 10 Sub

I find it really interesting that they don't have a 12"-15" monster to complement the LSiM line...or something crazy to give Polkies something to consider that have jumped over to JL Audio for subs. IMO, their SR car audio subs were targeting the JL W6 subs. I see no reason why they could not step up their research to offer something interesting for the home. I'm sure they have their reasons.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Polk does have some good designs, but every company tends to compete in a market that is in line with their consumer base, and is profitable. Most of Polk's consumers do not buy LSi speakers, and most of their consumers would not buy a subwoofer more expensive or higher performance than their current line. Why enter a market with a product that won't sell well; especially since you can't market a subwoofer as a Flagship/loss-leader product.

Could be just a business decision. Sub design is a little more complicated than cutting a hole in a box, and adding an amplifier.

Perhaps they simply think R&D money is better spent elsewhere. Besides, the sub market is pretty competitive as it is, especially in the sub $1k market, which would be where Polk's target audience would be. The subs just happens to be their weak link, but who knows what lies in the future.

I tend to think that people in business have good reasons for doing or not doing something. However, they do offer and sell the LSi line. A complementary sub, at least from an outside perspective, seems logical. Really, what percent of LSi customers would have to purchase the sub to pay for the R&D and materials?

Quote Originally Posted by rpf65 View Post
    Perhaps they simply think R&D money is better spent elsewhere. Besides, the sub market is pretty competitive as it is, especially in the sub $1k market, which would be where Polk's target audience would be. The subs just happens to be their weak link, but who knows what lies in the future.
    Seems like the most likely answer. Lets be honest...myself I have wanted Polk speakers since the 90's but have wanted Velodyne, M&K, HSU, and now SVS, Rythymik, or DIY for subs in all that time.
    Last edited by WLDock; 05-16-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Why does it seem that Polk does not want to upgrade their subs to compete in the higher end market?
    The DSWmicroPro subs are aimed at the higher end 2 channel music crowd and are the best subs Polk has ever made.

I find it really interesting that they don't have a 12"-15" monster to complement the LSiM line
    The DSWmicroPro subs complement the LSiM line and they had 12" model, the 4000, but it seems not enough sales to warrant keeping it in production.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (20)

As Jesse mentioned, they already have some great music subs in the MicroPro series. As for HT subs, why throw tons of money into that arena when there are already plenty of other great companies out there doing that?
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

The audio market along with many markets are bloated and with Polk having so many products on the line you have to choose the make or breaks.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Thank you for all the remarks. It is nice to hear different opinions. I hear so may people saying to stay away from Polk's but never really any positive reviews. So it was nice to hear about the DSWmicroPro subs.
    Kenwood KR-V8070
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center
    Energy 10 Sub

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    The DSWmicroPro subs are aimed at the higher end 2 channel music crowd and are the best subs Polk has ever made.
    Agreed. Those subs will satisfy almost any consumer or enthusiast.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Polk upgrade the entire sub line a few years ago with extremely good results. My DSW 400 goes deep and is terrific with music and movies.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    Agreed. Those subs will satisfy almost any consumer or enthusiast.
    They don't perform at their asking price. At that price point you can do so much better.
    Last edited by leroyjr1; 05-17-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    They don't perform at their asking price. At that price point you can do so much better.
    and that is why most people dont use them.
    Receiver: Denon 1912
    Speakers:
    Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 70s (x2)
    Rears: Polk Audio Monitor 50 (x2)
    Center: Polk Audio Monitor 70
    KLH Sub GFX-550

Default polk subs

I own a DXi24 12" dvc polk sub , I dont use their cabinet I built my own 1.5cu sealed , that thing goes REAL good !
    maybe their built car subs cost to much or their home units are weak , but they have nice subs maybe you gotta pick carefully or build your own box .I would like to hear my home sub with a polk dx driver .
    Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have had a micropro 4000 in my house to demo from a guy I know. It was the best bass I have ever heard, so smooth so clean. My wife who like most wives is not into audio and she was impressed and mention how good it sounded. Made my dsw600 sound like poo
    HT Rig Sharp LC-52LE810|Panasonic BDP210|Pioneer Elite VSX-32|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15|DSW Pro 600, Micro Pro4000 powered with a Crown XLS1000

2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1|Carver M1.0t|Dual 1257|Acer A500|Pioneer SW8-MKII X2

Thread Information