Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34

    Default Definitive Technology Mythos - How are they?

    Hi all,

    Just found out about the Mythos and wanted to know if any of you have nay experience with them.

    I don't know which model to look for. WAF, so no worries there, infact that's how I found them. Now the room is 22X20 with 9 foot ceiling and one side opens to the kitchen and foyer.

    Any inputs greatly appreciated.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    13,546

    Default

    I own them Install them and love them. I have a good write up on them on here from a few years ago. I'll look for the link and post it here.
    Basically ask me anything about Def Tech.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    13,546
    Last edited by mantis; 05-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lincolnton, GA.
    Posts
    3,905

    Default

    My only experience with DefTech are my Dad's BP3000's and my brothers BP2001TL....think those are the models. I have always very impressed with them. I know that is not part of your question though.
    --Gary--

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,714

    Default

    I was going to say you need to ask Dan, he can tell you more than you'll ever need to know about them.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

    Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

    Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

    Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34

    Default


    I think I have your pics on AVS mythos thread. I went to the store to listen to them but they didn't have them, so I listened to the 8040ST and though they were good, but when I A/B them with the B&W 684 the B&W sounded more
    clear to me.

    My question is how do the STS compare to the B&W and I also plan to add a sub not not entirely depending on the
    speaker woofers.

    Its also for a room 22X20 with 9 feet ceiling and one side completely open to kitchen and foyer, so want something
    that has a wide soundstage and fill the room. and can play nice music for house parties.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    9,670

    Default

    Leroyjr1 also ran these for a spell IIRC. Trey (VR3) as well I think. Search their posts to get some thoughts as well

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    13,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
    I think I have your pics on AVS mythos thread. I went to the store to listen to them but they didn't have them, so I listened to the 8040ST and though they were good, but when I A/B them with the B&W 684 the B&W sounded more
    clear to me.

    My question is how do the STS compare to the B&W and I also plan to add a sub not not entirely depending on the
    speaker woofers.

    Its also for a room 22X20 with 9 feet ceiling and one side completely open to kitchen and foyer, so want something
    that has a wide soundstage and fill the room. and can play nice music for house parties.
    For a room of that size , you might want to consider a full BP series system. The 8080 series would be ideal. You will not need an external woofer as these monsters really crank out the low end

    Compared to B&K of the same price or close to , B&W offers a lot. They are very difficult to beat or even match. They are remarkable music first speakers and very good theater speakers. I for one have thought of moving to a full B&W system in the CM series or moving up to Diamond. IMO they are a better overall speaker. But the BP's from Def Tech are no slouch and for theater they excel. Musically they are wonderful and very pleasing to listen to. Depending on your taste , the Def Tech's could be a better choice.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (41)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,745

    Default

    I didn't see where you stated if they were for music or HT? For HT the Definitives are very hard to beat. Klipsch is a better theater experience IMO. I've had the mythos st towers and the B&W cm9's in house and really liked them both. IMO the cM9's were my favorite in the B&W line, they're not as bright. I currently run the LSIm series and they should be considered also. If you go with the Mythos ST or STS towers look into the 8080cs as the center channel instead of the Mythos nine or ten, its much better.
    Last edited by leroyjr1; 05-22-2013 at 11:46 AM.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    I didn't see where you stated if they were for music or HT? For HT the Definitives are very hard to beat. Klipsch is a better theater experience IMO. I've had the mythos st towers and the B&W cm9's in house and really liked them both. IMO the cM9's were my favorite in the B&W line, they're not as bright. I currently run the LSIm series and they should be considered also. If you go with the Mythos ST or STS towers look into the 8080cs as the center channel instead of the Mythos nine or ten, its much better.
    Thanks I will consider the 8080cs center that you recommended. I will be using this for movies/tv almost 90% but 10 willbe music or for parties where the volume needs to be cranked up.

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
    Thanks I will consider the 8080cs center that you recommended. I will be using this for movies/tv almost 90% but 10 willbe music or for parties where the volume needs to be cranked up.
    If its 90% HT I'd either go with the full 8080 setup or check out some Klipsch RF7's and RC64. They both still sound great for music but really excel at HT.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Would the Mythos STS not be a good fit?

    I think what I have noticed is if I did not A/B speakers I would probably have bought the first speaker that I listened to. but A/B ad helped me determine what kind of sound I like.

    So far this is what I have listened and liked

    B&W 684 - (problem is that center channel is not great)
    Paradigm studio 60 (good sound, great center channel)
    DT - 8040/60 ST - (don't know about the center)
    DT Mythos STS (great center channel from what I have read the mythos 10 etc.)
    Focal Chorus 716v (great sound and price, don't know about the center)

    Any suggestions

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,092

    Default

    I'll throw my .02 in.....

    First, in order to suggest a speaker package we need to know what you will be driving them with. Will you also have a subwoofer ? Your room is pretty big, so you can't go too small on any of it. Your listening habits, HT/MUSIC, kind of music.

    Always good advice to go listen with your ears to get a feel of different speakers and how they sound. Pay attention to the associated gear too. Most big box stores are horrible at properly powering or setting up speakers.

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34

    Default

    The receiver will be pioneer sc-1522k and I may add a sub( svs, rhythmic, I don't know which one) if I go with the mythos.
    If I go with the BP8060ST, then depending on how they sound in my room I may or may not add a sub.

    Mostly for movies/tv -90% and 10% music (spotify streaming) I listen to everything from pop to rock. Would like the speakers to be able to fill the space and house every once in while when there is a party.

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,092

    Default

    The BP8060's may be your best choice then imho. Still, you'll need a subwoofer for movie watching and heavy rock music. SVS, HSU are very good places to look.

  16. #16
    Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    11,183

    Default

    What is your price range? There are many levels of Definitive Technology speakers, and depending on what you want to spend will decide where you land on that spectrum.

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    13,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    The BP8060's may be your best choice then imho. Still, you'll need a subwoofer for movie watching and heavy rock music. SVS, HSU are very good places to look.
    I'm gonna assume you never heard the 8060's perform , they fill a room with powerful earth shaking bass. I just did a pretty large room around 18 x 25 and it shook everything in it.
    NO external SUB required.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    I'm gonna assume you never heard the 8060's perform , they fill a room with powerful earth shaking bass. I just did a pretty large room around 18 x 25 and it shook everything in it.
    NO external SUB required.
    Hi Dan,

    I saw one of your earlier post that you work for audiolab. Although a little far, I can actually make the trip. I would be great if I can demo them with you and buy them if I like em..

    Audiolab also has a few other speakers that I am interested in. I can come by tomorrow if you are working, if you don't work there anymore maybe you could recommend one of your colleagues who still works there.

    Thanks so much for all you help.

    Sid

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I own Mythos ST's, and I think they perform extremely well. In my opinion, well worth it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 10:38 AM
  2. For Sale Definitive Technology Mythos Five Speakers - pair
    By dee1949 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 08:28 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM
  4. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 08-30-2009, 01:06 PM
  5. Definitive Technology Mythos Nine
    By PA-Ryu in forum Speakers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 09:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts