Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I don't think they offer the upgrade anymore, do they?
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxfj View Post
    Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to post it up. The 105 would be way overkill for me.

I've been toying with the idea of sending my 83 back to Oppo for the SE upgrade. Not that I really need it, but just because I can. Wonder how a 83se would sound in a setup like yours.
    What would make it overkill??
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Me: Wife, I need me an Oppo 105!

Wife: No...we have a Blu-Ray player...and it even does SACD and DVD-A so no.

Me: BUT Assimilated got one and swears by it now!

Wife: If Assimilated jumped off a bridge would...nevermind...I know you would. But still no. If you want one, sell the extra speakers and buy one.

Me: But...
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxfj View Post
    Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to post it up. The 105 would be way overkill for me.

I've been toying with the idea of sending my 83 back to Oppo for the SE upgrade. Not that I really need it, but just because I can. Wonder how a 83se would sound in a setup like yours.
    I've had the 83SE in my system for a few years, and up until now it's been my go to player. It's a very good player for sure, but the 105 is really better in every way, and that's before you take into account all the extra features.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

^^^lol

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post

Wife: If Assimilated jumped off a bridge would...nevermind...I know you would. But still no. If you want one, sell the extra speakers and buy one.

That's an easy one, just sell your current player then you'll have a void that the Oppo will fill
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Oops... that lol was meant for zltful. Cant edit from mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post

Assimilated also approves of the MP2k
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Don't need to sell me on the sub...already got one.
    And my AVR *is* 7.2 afterall...lol
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Nice review!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I did some extensive comparison of the USB input (from a Mac running Amarra) against the network streaming last night, and heard very little difference between the two. I did the comparison on both rigs (the Maggies and the ultra-revealing headphone setup) and the outcome was basically the same. The little bit of difference that I did hear I attribute to the processing done by Amarra, as the difference between the two inputs changed when I swapped Amarra out with JRiver. We're talking VERY subtle differences here, nothing even remotely close to jumping out at you.

I couldn't even say which I preferred, just that when I really strained I could hear some difference. I'm still sticking with the network streaming just because it's more convenient than having a computer in the room with the Oppo, but if the ergonomics work better for you I'd have no hesitation recommending the USB input.
    Thanks for a great review and all of this info. I have a few questions on your experience with the network streaming:

1) Do you know if you're able to stream Hi-Rez files over the network without any downsampling? For example, 24/96 or 24/192 FLAC files?

2) Have you had any buffering issues while streaming over WiFi?

3) How does the JRiver iPad app compare to the Squeezebox apps (e.g., iPeng, the official Logitech one, etc.) for navigating your music library?

The ability to stream Hi-Rez without downsampling would be a major selling point for me since my Squeezebox Duet downsamples everything over 24/48.

Thanks!

2-channel
    Squeezebox Duet | Benchmark DAC1 | Audio Research SP16 | Belles 350A Reference Amplifier | Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System

Home Theater
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Polk Rti70 | Polk CSi40 | Polk Fxi50 | SVS PB12-Plus/2 :D

It streams hi-rez in native resolution, no downsampling unless you have JRiver doing that. I've found that streaming of RBCD is fine over WiFi, but hi-rez can sometimes require buffering over WiFi. I also stream DSD, and ethernet is definitely needed for that so I just use a wired connection.

iPeng is a good interface, but I prefer JRemote a little. Honestly, they're both so good that I could live with either, though I can't compare them side by side at the moment.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Wow, I continue to be impressed the more I find out about this unit. Guess I'll add it to my short list...

Thanks again for the info!

2-channel
    Squeezebox Duet | Benchmark DAC1 | Audio Research SP16 | Belles 350A Reference Amplifier | Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature System

Home Theater
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Polk Rti70 | Polk CSi40 | Polk Fxi50 | SVS PB12-Plus/2 :D

I am a JRiver user. In order to stream hi-rez from JRiver "bit-perfect" to Oppo in this case, you'll need to configure it to "Never Convert" and "Uncompressed Stream".

Depends on which JRiver version you are using, you may find it a little different but try the following:
    Under ‘audio,’ set the ‘Conversion’ (it’s a drop-down menu) to “Never Convert”.
    Under that, set the ‘encoder’ to “Uncompressed Stream” ".
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t
    • Music/HT - Lsi25, Lsi9 (Vr3), Lsi7, LsiC, Pioneer SC-68 & BDP-62FD, PS3

Thread Information