Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Help with new RTIA9's

Hi all, I just got an incredible deal on 2 RTiA9's, a CsiA6, and 2 RtiA3's. The sub I purchases is the PSW125, though I am disappointing with the cherry finish. The sub might be going back. What I really need help on is a new receiver. I currently have a Sony STR-DH510 and it's terrible with these speakers. I don't know really how to describe how these speakers sounded when first hooked up to the Sony, but it was awful. I was almost getting a ringing of sorts in my ears. Also when the volume was turned up a little, they would distort. I really need help finding a new receiver, one that has pre-outs for eventually getting an amp. What I was looking at is a Pioneer VSX-42 for $250 at my local best buy. The only thing about the Pioneer is that the pre-outs seem to be for zone 2? Not sure what that means. Could someone shed light on this? If this isn't a good receiver, what would you recommend? I have a budget of around $500 for a receiver, new or used, sorry guys I am still young and don't have the money to shell out for a nicer one. Also will these speakers sound way better with a more capable receiver? I really didn't like the ringing in my ears. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am very new to this, I came from crappy Sony speakers that were a 5.1 set.

You will ne an AVR with pre-outs and an amplifier to get the A9's to work for you. An amp with a minimum of 200 watts per channel. I don't think you will find an AVR alone that will power them adequately.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Some of the best AVR's on the market are the Pioneer SC series and even those will not drive the A9's properly, but would be a lot better than what you have now.

You might be able to find the older SC-07 in your price range.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Couple things, that receiver isn't going to cut it with those speakers. Next, what kind of cables are you using and did you check your connections ? Also, did you set up the receiver....setup the inputs, crossover, set to large or small, etc. You also bought the wrong subwoofer for those speakers, I would send it back.

500 bucks will be hard to get a new receiver with preouts or enough power on it's own to properly power those speakers. Used however is possible. Check your local craigslist or Audiogon.com but I would advise you to stay clear of EBAY. Subwoofer will depend on budget but if you can't afford a better one right now, don't use any then until you save enough. Look for a used SVS, HSU, Polk micro pro sub which will better compliment your speakers.

Thanks for all the advice. I knew going into this that my receiver wasn't going to cut it. I have to say though, these speakers are sounding better and better the more I play them. I will keep my eye out for an older SC07. I am using monster cable that I got cheap with monster banana connectors. I know monster is just all hype, but hey I got this stuff for a great price so I might as well use it. I have also played around with the settings of my receiver and gotten it to play a little bit better with my speakers. Also if I'm if I'm looking for an amp in the future, what should I be looking for? Anyone have any models that I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Bill

Great sounding speakers.
    LSI 15
    LSI C
    LSI FX
    Velodyne SPL-10
    Integra 9.9
    Sunfire TGA-5200
    XA2-HDDVD
    Sony 550 Blu-Ray