Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I remember when you could actually work on your own car. When appliances lasted 30 years and not clunk out a week after the warranty expires. I remember when being an entertainer required some talent, and kids were allowed to fail.

I remember Tom and Jerry, Heckle and Jeckle, Clutch Cargo, Frazier Thomas, Mighty mouse, Mr. Green Jeans. I remember when you could insult your worst enemy and not have it become a national security issue. I remember when clothes were hand me downs and designer duds were only for the well to do. I remember when having a curfew ment just that, not 10 minutes later, not call me if you'll be late. I remember when doing choirs around the house was a given, not negotiable. I remember when musical groups had some talent either singing or song writing. I remember when playing dodge ball or other school yard games didn't involve lawyers.

Bears.....superbowl ? About as much chance as the Cubs winning the world series.
    Last edited by tonyb; 05-27-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I'm not as old as some of you but I'll pitch in.

I remember two of my closest friends in 1st grade were girls and the 3 of us would hang out and I'd kiss one and run away and no one labeled me a sexual predator.
    I remember dad using a safety razor and I've finally tossed my 5 blade Gillette for a set.
    I remember summer meant kids riding bikes all over the neighborhood and the school year meant kids walking or riding bikes to school.
    I remember mom soaking my new jeans in the bathtub before the start of the school year.
    I remember McDonald's fries were the greatest treat my parents could buy along with 1 Coke before the days of free refills.
    I remember stumbling upon MTV and seeing my first music video, "Centerfold", by the J Geils Band.
    I remember thinking Alan Hunter, Martha Quinn, Mark Goodman, JJ Jackson, and Nina Blackwood were the bomb.
    I remember playing soccer on the Atari 2600 and the players were squares and rectangles.
    I remember typing...

10 PRINT "HELLO"
    20 GOTO 10

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I didn't see it yet...

I remember life before Facebook.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I remember when doing choirs around the house was a given, not negotiable.
    Had to serenade dad while he sat on the throne for three hours?
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Had to serenade dad while he sat on the throne for three hours?
    Ok...now that ones weird.

Also, doesn't say much for mom's cooking.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I remember farting and NOT seeing dust come out.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Lighting farts on fire.....boys will be boys eh ?

[QUOTE=nooshinjohn;1923345]Anyone up for a game of Lawn Darts?QUOTE]

I still have some I break them out when the kids come over....you can never be TOO safe

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    I'm old enough to remember that I'm lucky the nonsense of my youth didn't kill me or someone else.
    Very true and god there was a lot of that...nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Swauger View Post
    I remember when zip codes were introduced and TV stations didn't start broadcasting until 4:30pm. "Hey boys and girls, what time is it?"
    It's Howdy Doody time.....

I remember when Lawn Darts could kill you, before the newer safety tips came out..
    Fatchowmein I actually had a computer program published in the magazine Compute back in the 80's in high school, using the old Basic language 10" Hello"...............
    I most certainly did not Serenade my father while he was in the crapper..lol

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Opening a can of PBR with a church key
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    I remember when Lawn Darts could kill you, before the newer safety tips came out..

Safety tips killed Lawn Darts. The only reason why we need safety police these days is because the latter-day flower children out there were too lazy to discipline their kids.

The one thing I will never forget is being able to take a knife to school or a shotgun even, so long as you were going deer hunting after school. Back when I was a kid, my life was only impacted by my parents and my teachers, often times with a nice piece of oak for screwing up. Today, the mere threat of that piece of oak would have been enough to get me declared an "emancipated minor" and my parents jailed for a felony.

The good ol' days aren't coming back until we decide to change things for the better.
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

I remember when the entire city shut down at 1:00 PM on Wednesday.
    Grocery stores had blank counter checks beside the register. Just pick your bank, fill it out and sign your name. No account number, nothing.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Spending the night listening to the fm radio....stoner vinyl spun by stoner disc jockeys...it was always an inside joke amongst the cool

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Even I am old enough to remember when the TV stations would sign off after playing the national anthem.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Oh oh, I remember getting my first car stereo on credit at Majestic Sound Warehouse when I was 16 using only my Name and phone number for reference..even I thought that was really weird but Cooool, lol

Even back then, small town USA was way different than major metro areas. Some resemblance of those differences still remain today. In small town, you could leave the keys in your car with the engine running anywhere you went. Even parked out on the street over night. You had a tab, at the grocery store and even more importantly....the tavern. Everyone knew everyone, and their kids and got into each others business. That worked out for the good and sometimes the bad. The local police knew you, your kids, and where everyone lived. Minor incidents were taken care of off the books, between neighbors and community. Most worked in the same handful of places, prayed at the same church, shopped at the same stores, drank at the same bars, fished the same lakes. Teachers all lived in the community and were well known. Fought like cats and dogs too, but god help anyone do any harm. Didn't matter if you didn't like so and so, neighbors had your back, regardless, when crap hit the fan.

Those days obviously are gone and small town USA isn't so small anymore or oblivious to the outside world. While most of those qualities of small town life have disappeared, many of the same principles carry on or at least try to in some communities. Neighbors helping neighbors, the elderly, trust in your fellow man, a general concern for those around you. Which, those are more human traits than geographical ones.

I have a small liquor/convenience store about 2 blocks away from my house I've been going to for about 8 years. The owner's name is Jack, and he's from India.....go figure. Anyway, I go in there to pick up a couple cartons of smokes. Here in la la land, that amounts to 151.00 clams. I forgot my wallet and tell Jack I'll be right back. Jack says to me, " forget it, hit me up tomorrow or the next time you stop in." Restored my faith in my fellow man....because he had faith in me. The wife will pick up some wine and be short and he will tell her pay him later. I'm sure many of you have a guy like Jack in your towns, It's just nice to know these people still exist and makes you a better person for it.

It's nice to reminisce of times gone by, but in the end the world is what we make of it. Be it our own little corner of the world in our small towns, or on a global scale. With that said, and in mind, have to say the old times are looking pretty darn good about now.

BTW- if I ever see another Lawrence Welk bubble, I'm gonna shoot my brains out. Back then you had local channels that was it. Channel 32 was like the forbidden channel with more leeway on their programming.

I remember when you could give the guys on the garbage truck a few shots of booze to take that old washing machine away.
    When you called the cops.....and they actually came.
    When stealing a candy bar ment your parents were called, not like today when it goes on your permanent record.
    When the Big Mac was .....well, big.
    I remember when a teacher could wack you upside your head and parents stood behind the teacher's actions.

pepster

I remember when you could buy banana's for $.09/lb.
    I remember Nixon telling me he was not a crook!
    I remember when skateboards just came into "popularity" (I lived in San Diego) '73'ish.

I remember shopping in the S&H GreenStamp "showroom" with my mom and sister.
    I remember when I hired in with Whirlpool ('83) and there was not a computer in that "GINORMOUS" plant.
    Nothing but file cabinets..............
    I had to actually do a search through files, by hand!
    I had several 8 tracks in my vehicles!

Living in California, Gordon Lightfoot "Sundown" will NEVER forget that, living in Ocean Beach, eating pizza after a long day at the beach, and the restaurant had a VERY GOOD SYSTEM (R2R)!

It was a magical time I wish I had back!
    Last edited by pepster; 05-28-2013 at 09:41 PM.

I remember when Trey was a snot nosed kid.
    When Jesse didn't have grey hair.
    When Phil was an audiophile......lol, just bustin' balls bro.
    When Brock was warm and fuzzy.....hard to believe eh ?
    When RT1 wasn't on mushrooms
    When Russman was funny
    When George Grand was somewhat young. Heck George, was Jersey even a state back then yet ?
    When Serpico pretty much defined how we all looked then.

I remember all the absolutely stellar people over the years who worked for Polk, and yes Ken, that includes you.

Hells bells Paul, when did California get any Pizza worth a mention ?

pepster

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Hells bells Paul, when did California get any Pizza worth a mention ?
    First "Square" pizza I have ever saw!

Killer seafood as you can imagine.
    Killer seafood "pizza" also!
    Shrimp, crab pizza (scallops).

SD knows how to make food, regardless!

I can remember going to "Anthony's" and they had Crab meat raw, no bones nothing, stacked over your head.
    Plastic snow shovel sitting there waiting to shovel the weight you wanted to buy.

I have been in other counties, and multiple states, but I have never seen better eating than San Diego!

Do a search for "Old Town San Diego" for the Mexican food.
    Nothing has even come close in my travels.........
    Last edited by pepster; 05-28-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by pepster View Post
    Living in California, Gordon Lightfoot "Sundown" will NEVER forget that, living in Ocean Beach, eating pizza after a long day at the beach, and the restaurant had a VERY GOOD SYSTEM (R2R)!
    Both Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" and R2R's are phenominal! You would be crazy for not wanting them back.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Casey Kasem...AM radio before FM
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by pepster View Post
    First "Square" pizza I have ever saw!
    You must have been to Barone's... I go there twice a month, and it is excellent.

The best Pizza I ever had was in Indiana in a little town called Auburn.

I remember when the expression "it's a Doozy" was still being used every day and will never forget my time spent hangin out in the very place that the legends came to life.

pepster

I remember when I hired in with Whirlpool ('83) and there was not a computer in that "GINORMOUS" plant.
    I did 20 Years there, we finally got computers ('86-'88?)!
    Last edited by pepster; 05-29-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Oh man...Pep, seafood....and I love seafood, has no business being on a pizza in my book. Barone's huh ? Wonder if their related to me.

Johnny West, Sam Cobra. This thread is great.
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R

Pf flyers.....Slow poks......rubbing grease in your hair, though now seems to be the norm. I remember when it took at least a foot and a half of snow to close school for the day. Now it only takes a few inches. I remember when I could run like the wind, now I have no wind. I remember when half the airplane was for smokers....really. Like the smoke in an enclosed plane wasn't going to bother anyone else. I remember baseball cards in the spokes of my bike....well, it was mine after I stole it. I remember prying the pin on shotgun shells, then throwing it against a wall.....and running like hell. Which makes me also remember what buckshot from a farmers barrel feels like.

I remember when.....I could remember half the stuff I wanted to remember.

Thread Information