Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I remember when "Lost in Space" and "The Outer Limits" aired in black and white. I remember watching the original, black & white version of "The Day the Earth Stood Still", starring Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Billy Gray, and Hugh Marlowe, when I was under ten years old.

I remember going to the store across the street from my elementary school and getting coconut bar cookies two for a penny. I remember the cookie treat called a "Rock & Roll", which was two gingerbread cookies, about 4" by 6" with scalloped edges, covered in hard, pink icing, for a nickel. (some may remember a "rock & roll" as a "stage plank". I remember getting Bazooka bubble gum two for a penny.

I remember oil cans which had paper sides and metal tops and bottoms. I remember when $2 would buy you FOUR gallons of gas.

I remember when the Intel 8080 was THE microprocessor. And, I remember playing PONG and thinking,"Wow!! This is really cool!!"

I remember when a verbal agreement used to be all that was needed to do business.

I remember when you had to ask the pharmacist for rubbers.

Member Sales Rating: (55)

"PF Flyers to run your fastest and jump your highest!"

Heckyll & Jeckyll for the record. If you want to know whatever BECAME of them, I'm living with them.

On the sports side of things: I remember the 1976 Philadelphia Flyers-Red Army Game. The game was notable for an incident where, after a body check delivered by the Flyers' Ed Van Impe, CSKA's top player, Valeri Kharlamov, was prone on the ice for a minute. When officials did not call a penalty, the Red Army coach, Konstantin Loktev, pulled his team off the ice in protest. Flyers' Chairman Ed Snider told CSKA to return to the ice and finish the game, which was being broadcast to an international audience, or the Soviet Hockey Federation would not get paid the fee to which they were entitled. They eventually complied and lost 4-1. Hard to imagine that its been 37 years since that game.

I remember being my dad's television remote control. Dad would say, " Try channel 10, but you will need to rotate the antenna and adjust the fine tuning knob to get it in clear." I remember Saturday morning cartoons like Bugs Bunny and the great Hiawatha (totally racist by todays standards, but still funny as hell)! I remember watching Kung Foo theater after doing Saturday chores, and Abbot and Costello after Sunday Mass. I remember getting dressed up in my church clothes to go to the movies.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

How about that "Miracle on Ice"... I remember this as a moment when a nation started to believe in herself again.

Herb Brooks used to run a summer hockey skills program at Aldrich Arena on the east side of St. Paul, and I was fortunate enough to be able to skate with quite a few of those players that showed up to help Herbie coach us kids in the summer of 1980.

RIP Herb, and thanks for the memories.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

I remember being allowed to stay up and watch Ed Sullivan on Sunday nights (east coast of Canada, on Atlantic time) at 9 pm but I wasn't allowed to watch Bonanza unless Monday was a holiday because 10 pm was just too late...

Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post

Heckyll & Jeckyll for the record. If you want to know whatever BECAME of them, I'm living with them.
    I saw some PF flyers the other day. Didn't know they still made them.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post

I saw some PF flyers the other day. Didn't know they still made them.

I remember when gas was 19.9 cents per gallon
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I remember when lawn darts were considered safe fun for the whole family.

Edit: Looks like I was beat to the punch.....multiple times. Still......

I also remember my first year of college, when cigs were sold in the school bookstore and cost a $1.10 a pack. I also remember when cigs were sold in convenience stores as looseys, 10 cents each, or 3 for a quarter.

When I first got my car, I remember being able to gas up (maybe not quite all the way), get a soda, and still spending less than a 10 spot.

I also remember checking albums out of the library on base, spending 99 cents on a blank cassette, and walla, a new tape in my collection, complete with the hiss/pop from my parents' cheap turn table.
    Last edited by jflail2; 05-29-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I remember when video games were played on cartridges, and music was played on tapes =P
    My System Showcase!

Media Room
    Paradigm Studio 60 - Paradigm CC-690 - Paradigm ADP-390 - Epik Empire - Anthem MRX300 - Emotiva XPA-5

Living-room
    Paradigm MilleniaOne - Rythmik F12GSE - Onkyo TX-SR805 - Adcom 5400

Headphones
    Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear - Shure SE215 - Fiio E18 Kunlun

remember this..
    Monitor and Mouse NOT included....
    Name:  Tandy 5000 1989.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  84.0 KB

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

How many of you remember this: Commodore PET

One of my roommates' father was the CEO of the company. He had one, of course.

cnh
    Attached Images  
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I remember when kids actually wanted to work to earn money. Now I can't even find a kid to mow my lawn because they get everything for free from their parents.

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Stores were closed on Sunday
    ,8,1 return (for those who had C64 or C128)
    video games on cassettes
    making my own sound effects for toys
    being able to buy cigarettes for a family member as long as I had a note signed by them
    people serving me on rollerskates at A&W
    HT- HK 335, Rotel 1075, Miova PC, AQ Indigo speaker cable, XLO jumpers, AQ Diamondback Ics, AQ HDMI x2, AQ component, Signal cable analog II Ics, Signal cable digcoax, Signal cable Toslink, Rti8, Csi5, Rti6, Energy s10.2, Panny 42" Plasma, PS3, Harmony 1100 (on the way, thanks Sal) and Harmony PS3 Adapter(picking it up tonight) LG dvdp(for the kids) , Monster 3600MKII all on a dedicated circuit.

Oh ya my Junior High had 20 of them.
    I had a Commodore Vic20 and. C64 with tape drive and then got a 5 1/2" floppy very cool in those days..

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Quote Originally Posted by jflail2 View Post
    They are still considered safe for everyone except the soft-skulled, and they're a bunch of geeks anyhow.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I remember sending these offsite (and overnight) for computer programming

Name:  IBM_Punch_Card.png
Views: 114
Size:  48.4 KB
    Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw 7500 Amp
    Parasond 2100 Pre - HT Bypass
    Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD
    Polk Audio Speakers: LSi15 Fronts, LC65FX Surround, LSiC Center
    Oppo BDP-103

Member Sales Rating: (18)

I also remember being able to play with toy guns without people calling the cops on us or playing in the streets or neighbourhood with out the fear of pervs snatching us up.

We also had one of these pcs along with our C64

http://oldcomputers.net/kayproii.html
    HT- HK 335, Rotel 1075, Miova PC, AQ Indigo speaker cable, XLO jumpers, AQ Diamondback Ics, AQ HDMI x2, AQ component, Signal cable analog II Ics, Signal cable digcoax, Signal cable Toslink, Rti8, Csi5, Rti6, Energy s10.2, Panny 42" Plasma, PS3, Harmony 1100 (on the way, thanks Sal) and Harmony PS3 Adapter(picking it up tonight) LG dvdp(for the kids) , Monster 3600MKII all on a dedicated circuit.

Dforeman, I actually had a job punching those cards out on a stand-alone machine and then we fed stacks of those cards into a GIANT computer.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Quote Originally Posted by dromunds View Post
    Dforeman, I actually had a job punching those cards out on a stand-alone machine and then we fed stacks of those cards into a GIANT computer.
    dromunds - we sure have come a long way since then. :) It took weeks by this method to get any simple programming done. One little mistake -i.e shading in a wrong bubble - wouldn't be discovered until the printout of the program was returned 24 hrs later.
    Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw 7500 Amp
    Parasond 2100 Pre - HT Bypass
    Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD
    Polk Audio Speakers: LSi15 Fronts, LC65FX Surround, LSiC Center
    Oppo BDP-103

Quote Originally Posted by jflail2 View Post

Edit: Looks like I was beat to the punch.....multiple times. Still......

I also remember my first year of college, when cigs were sold in the school bookstore and cost a $1.10 a pack. I also remember when cigs were sold in convenience stores as looseys, 10 cents each, or 3 for a quarter.

When I first got my car, I remember being able to gas up (maybe not quite all the way), get a soda, and still spending less than a 10 spot.

I also remember checking albums out of the library on base, spending 99 cents on a blank cassette, and walla, a new tape in my collection, complete with the hiss/pop from my parents' cheap turn table.

Speaking of cigs. I remember going to the store for my aunt to buy some for her when I was under 10 yrs old. My mother would get mad if she heard about it.

Had an old Commodore 64 'puter in the crawl space for years, just threw it out about 2 years ago. Didn't realize those suckers are worth some money now, go figure.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by monepolk View Post
    Speaking of cigs. I remember going to the store for my aunt to buy some for her when I was under 10 yrs old. My mother would get mad if she heard about it.
    Yea, it was a different attitude back when. I remember my parents never, ever smoked, and still kept ashtrays in the living room in case we had guests over who did. I also remember smoking on airlines, and just about anywhere else for that matter.

Not that cigs are a good thing, but it is interesting to see the 180 in attitude.

And no cassette player was complete without a pencil handy nearby, just in case.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    Stores were closed on Sunday
    And we should return to those days when only groceries were available on Sunday.
    One day where everyone slows down for R&R and spends time with the family....just think how much energy we would save.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Spend time with the wife....the kids ? What are you nuts ?

Yeah man, I sure do remember those days. Grocery stores and movie theatres used to be the only things open. Funny how one certain chicken chain still adheres to that and gets knocked around pretty good for it.

We used to spend Sundays with the family, the extended family too. Was nice.....while it lasted. They say change is good, well...maybe so but not always.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    remember this..
    Monitor and Mouse NOT included....
    Attachment 85670
    Hell, I remember the 80086. And, the Commodor PET:

Name:  pet4032.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  316.9 KB

And the Atari 800........
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post

cnh

Sorry! Didn't see your post until after I posted mine! I remember it though.

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    people serving me on rollerskates at A&W
    There is an A&W in Stayton, Oregon (about 15 minutes from me) that is a real A&W with people who serve you on roller skates. Also, if you are in the restaurant, they still have the phones at the tables you can pick up and contact the server to order your food. Unfortunately, they do not have the "fill up the bear" straws though. There are so few of these real A&W's left now.
    Last edited by headrott; 05-30-2013 at 06:46 PM.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!"

Sharight!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Thread Information