Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Did I get a good deal on a Thorens TD 160 tt?

I have been looking for a decent turntable for some time now and just stopped by my local vinatge record shop a few blocks from where I live and purchased a used Thorens TD 160 turntable for $80.

I knew Thorens turntable were excellent tts but I did not know much about the different models so I made an impulse buy. Heck, for $80, I figured I could not go wrong. It seems to work fine as I tested it out at the store.

Is the TD 160 a good model?

Other than a new cartridge for it, is there anything else I should do in order to get it set it up properly? Should I take it to a local vintage audio tech to clean it and set it up for me?

What would be a good cartridge for it? Would the Shure M97 XE be a good fit for it? I have heard good things about that cartridge and it is reasonably priced so that would be my cartridge preference if it is is a good match for the TD 160.

I guess I can put another $100-$150 into it but I cannot break the bank tweaking it and modifying it so please keep that in mind with any suggestions and recommendations..

Thanks. Vinyl here I come!
    Last edited by pglbook; 05-28-2013 at 05:38 PM.

If the belt has not been changed?, thats a place to start. Basic lube and cleaning, motor speed adjustment , clean and set up the tonearm ect. If you have a shop as stated they should be able to do all that and more.the sure cart. Comes with a (paper) cart. mounting gage so thats not a big deal.also you could add a pair of rca connectors from the tonearm and than you could use any grade cable you want amd can upgrade at will ( as the budget allows.)
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a
    McIntosh MC 2120 bi-amped
    Into JBL L123 drivers
    Rane external crossover.
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    ADCOM GDA 700 DAC ( MODDED)
    YAMMY CDC-665
    Marantz 6100 tt w/pickering XV-15/625E cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    POLK RTA-12C'S W/ RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills risistors (full mod)
    MIT exps2 speaker cable

Member Sales Rating: (12)

If this is the one, I would say you did alright for yourself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorens-TD-1...item43bc333a9a
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

The 160 is a great TT. I have the 145 which is the same unit except has the automatic lift at the end of the record. You got a steal for $80. Congrats!!!

The sure you mentioned is a great Cart. I have an Ortofon Red on mine which is a pretty nice cart for the money.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

You got a steal. That's a really good table and there are boat loads of upgrades for them that you can do when time and money permits. Do a search on the net and see for yourself. The Sure would be a great match for that table. Congrats!

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I have a 126, I think you got a very good deal.

That there is a beautiful TT..hope it sounds great and what a great price....randy

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Talk to UpstateMax. He lives in the Albany area, he is the person I bought my Thorens TD-166 (since sold) from. I know he had it serviced, so he must know someone you can use.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

TD-160's go for between $250 - $450 on Canuck Audio Mart all the time in stock condition. Higher with mods. You got a great deal and the Shure is a really good fit. Congrats!!!
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Eico ST-70 Integrated Tube Amp fully rebuilt and modded
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Thanks everyone. I am very happy with the tt. I knew Thorens made great turntables and also knew that $80 for any Thorens model would be a great deal and that is why I went ahead and bought it without knowing anything specific about that particular model. But, from the comments here, and from what I have been reading online about the TD 160, it seems like the TD 160 is one of the better Thorens models. I am really happy to get such a great tt at a fantastic price. I want to jump right into vinyl but I want to be patient so I will first buy a new cartridge for it (Shure M97 XE) and then I will have it serviced and cleaned and set up correctly by a local audio repair shop here. It seems to work fine but I want to have the belt checked, the tone arm balanced, the speed checked, etc, as I have no idea how long it has been since it was serviced or even if it has been serviced at all since it was new. Also, I do not know how old the cartridge/stylus is so I want to get a new cartridge/stylus before playing the few records I have; better safe than sorry. I tested the tt at the shop prior to buying it and it sounded great. I had forgotten how much better vinyl sounds than CDs. I cannot wait to get it all set up...but I will be patient and do it properly..so hopefully in a month or so I can have it all ready to go. Thanks again for all of your feedback. It is much appreciated.

Thread Information