Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default SDA SRS 2 or SDA SRS 3.1 TL

I have an opportunity to purchase either a pair of Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (blade/blade) speakers or a pair of SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers. Both are in good shape. Sellers are both asking around $500 for either set. If I buy one of these, they will primarily be used with a 2 channel stereo setup. Given that the price and condition of both are equal, which version of the SDA SRS would you recommend? I've never owned a pair. These would be replacing either my Polk R.T.A. 12 or Polk Model 11 speakers.

IMHO, the 3.1TLs.
    But then they are pretty much the SDA version of my RTA-15TLs and I might be biased. hehe.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Hard choice. Both are pretty nice sounding SDA's. I would probably take the 3.1's because I miss mine, but if they are equal in price and conditions, I would suggest you decide based on the size of your room.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

3.1 would be my choice.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (6)

If they were pin-blade SRS 2s I would lean towards those. Since they are blade/blade I would probably lean towards the 3.1s.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

get'em both you know you want to......

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I have not heard either of them, but I have owned quite a few SDA's. My understanding is that the SRS2's are a bit like a 1C on steroids, and would be my choice if the room is big enough to accommodate them. The SDA effect should also be a bit more pronounced with the extra dimensional driver. You will need to have a pretty good wall to place them on however(at least 15 ft)

The 3.1TL's on the other hand, may be a bit easier to live with in terms of placement and upgrades if you decide to mod them, as many of us have done to our SDA's. Either speaker is a great choice.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I currently have both pair, I prefer the 3.1's just slightly over the SRS 2's. The (blade/blade) 2's are a 4 ohm load and the 3.1's are a 6 ohm load, the 3.1's are a little easier to drive and a better match for my tube amp.

The 2's have great sound, with a deep low end "if" you can feed them with some high current and have the room for them to breathe. The blade/blade version can also be modded to accept the RDO-198 tweeter upgrade.

I have my SRS 2's for sale, but I know I will miss them one day if they sell.
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's

Member Sales Rating: (4)

What's the room size you will put these into? If a bigger room, SRS 2's would be good. If a "smaller" room the 3,1TL's would be better. Unless you want to upgrade the SRS 2's to accept the RD0-198 tweeter, the 3.1TL's will have a better high end. Bass will be slightly more pronunced the the SRS 2's however, but only slightly. I would say the 3.1TL's would be the better choice overall. I own a pair and they are great speakers.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

I agree with most the people here the 3.1TLs would be my choice. Newer model easier to do the crossover boards. 6 ohm so a little more amp friendly. Besides they look cool.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I would go with the 3.1tl's. I have owned the SRS 2 b/b version. You are going to need a beefy amp that can drive those bad boys. If you have the gear and want more bass than I would seriously consider the SRS 2's. If you go in that direction the first thing that goes are the SL2000 tweets. Bottom line is it will cost you more to modify, plus use correct gear and you will need a larger room to open up the SRS 2's. It depends on what you are looking for. Both speakers are very good.
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Sunfire grand 5 channel, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: ,Polk CS1000 center, Polk cs400rear center, Polk RT800 mains stacked with RT55's, Polk F/X 1000 rears running on a Yamaha RX-V2200

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 12 series 2, 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl, LS90

Thread Information