Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Star Trek - Into Darkness

I have been a Star Trek fan since the first episode aired and really enjoyed the reboot in the last Star Trek movie. This one is even better. They didn't have to spend time introducing the new actors and explaining their new relationships with each other and basically just got down to action.

However, there are still plenty of in-jokes and references to the earlier series and movies. Very enjoyable and highly recommended to even moderate ST fans.
    Modest HT - Pioneer VSX 821K, RT800i, CS400 center, RT25i surrounds, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, Belkin PF30.
    Bedroom - Yamaha RX-V373, Monitor 7C, CS175i center

I heard the last 30 min or so was not very good. What is your opinion?
    Kenwood KR-V8070
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center
    Energy 10 Sub
    Panamax M4300-PM Power Conditioner

Working on updating my set up

Quote Originally Posted by Poolgod69 View Post
    I heard the last 30 min or so was not very good. What is your opinion?
    I enjoyed it all the way through. But there is a break at that point that I can see where some people wouldn't like the direction. Don't want to spoil anything but when you see it, there is definitely a point where things change a bit.
    Modest HT - Pioneer VSX 821K, RT800i, CS400 center, RT25i surrounds, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, Belkin PF30.

And even worse then the apparent change in direction, you were forced to endure Alice Eve in her underwear changing into her special torpedo disarming outfit..... Yuck....
    Kenwood KR-V8070
    Kenwood DR-V5070
    Polk RTi A9- Mains
    CSI A6- Center
    Energy 10 Sub
    Panamax M4300-PM Power Conditioner

Working on updating my set up

Quote Originally Posted by Poolgod69 View Post
    And even worse then the apparent change in direction, you were forced to endure Alice Eve in her underwear changing into her special torpedo disarming outfit..... Yuck....
    True, it was horrible. And didn't last long enough.

I thought it was quite good. Part of the ending change was a spin on parts of Star Trek 2 and I actually liked how it went.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Quote Originally Posted by nguyendot View Post
    I thought it was quite good. Part of the ending change was a spin on parts of Star Trek 2 and I actually liked how it went.
    I agree, but I can see where some people might not like that part. I thought they did a great job of twisting TWoK around a bit, keeping the essential idea without just doing a remake.

I will have to watch this now.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I saw this today and I thought it was excellent!

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I saw it over the weekend and thought it was a very good movie.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I'm a big Trek fan and I loved it. Lots of people complain when their beloved movies are "messed with" in any way, but personally, I love new ideas and new content is always great. I thought the end was really cool, and I was really surprised. The trailer really had me fooled.
    Home Theater
    RTiA5 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - PSW650 - Pioneer Elite SC-55 - Carver AV-505 - Sony 46" 120Hz - Monster HP 2400 - Xbox 360 - Playstation 3
    2 Channel
    Polk RTA 15TL - Harman Kardon HK3485 - HK DVD48 - Signal Cable IC's and speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by domflane View Post
    Lots of people complain when their beloved movies are "messed with" in any way
    Let me quote William Shatner from his now-classic Saturday Night Live skit (co-written by Judd Apatow) which took place at a Star Trek convention....

GET A LIFE, will you people? I mean, for crying out loud, it's just a TV show!
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x93...get-a-life_fun

The big question is this: In which movie will the Borg make an appearance?
    TV: 70" LED Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D
    Fronts: Martin Logan Electromotions --- Center: Martin Logan Motion 8
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Onkyo TX-NR818 --- Emotiva XPA-3 --- Oppo BDP-103 -- 2 Channel: Mapletree Line 2A tube preamp modified

Member Sales Rating: (1)

It was terrific! They did an outstanding job casting these characters. Definitely getting the dvd when it comes out.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by ROHfan View Post
    The big question is this: In which movie will the Borg make an appearance?
    I think we may see the beginnings of the Borg real soon.... perhaps some form of enhanced federation troop capable of fighting the Klingons in close quarters. I have always had my suspicions that the Borg were some form of experiment gone very wrong.

From the WIKI...

The Star Trek Encyclopedia speculates that there could be a connection between the Borg and V'ger, the vessel encountered in Star Trek: The Motion Picture; this is advanced in William Shatner's novel The Return. The connection was also suggested in a letter in Starlog No. 160 (November 1990). The letter writer, Christopher Haviland, also speculated that the original Borg drones were members of a race called "The Preservers", which Spock had suggested in the original series episode "The Paradise Syndrome" might be responsible for why so many humanoids populate the galaxy. It was confirmed in the The Next Generation episode "The Chase" that an ancient species seeded hundreds, if not thousands of planets with their DNA, creating the Humans, Vulcans, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians and many more. Coincidentally, in the novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (written by Gene Roddenberry), the Vejur entity notes that the Ilia probe is resisting the programming given to it because of residual memories and feelings for Captain Decker, from its precise replication of the Deltan lieutenant. When Vejur becomes aware of this, it decides that "the resistance was futile, of course".

The extra section of the game Star Trek: Legacy contains the "Origin of the Borg", which tells the story of V'ger being sucked into a black hole. V'ger was found by a race of living machines which gave it a form suitable to fulfilling its simplistic programming. Unable to determine who its creator could be, the probe declared all carbon-based life an infestation of the creator's universe, leading to assimilation. From this, the Borg were created, as extensions of V'ger's purpose. Drones were made from those assimilated and merged into a collective consciousness. The Borg Queen was created out of the necessity for a single unifying voice. However, with thoughts and desires of her own, she was no longer bound to serve V'ger. This explanation, however, is not canon.

In the graphic novel Star Trek: The Manga, the Borg resulted from an experiment in medical nanotechnology gone wrong. An alien species under threat of extinction by an incurable disease created a repository satellite containing test subjects infused with body parts, organs, and DNA of multiple species along with cybernetic enhancements put in place by advanced medical technology. The satellite was maintained by nanomachines, which also maintained the medical equipment on board. The medical facility is parked in orbit by a black hole, and along with the anomalous states of time around the black hole, allows long-term research to continue at an accelerated time scale rather than in real time speed. The medical facility deteriorates and so too does the programming of the nanomachines. The nanomachines began infusing themselves into the patients, interpreting them as part of the satellite in need of repair. Among the patients is the daughter of the head medical researcher of the satellite. The satellite eventually falls apart in an encounter with an away team from the Enterprise under the command of James T. Kirk. In the final moments of the satellite's destruction and the escape of the crew members of the Enterprise with the patients, the subjects display qualities inherently resembling the Borg; injection of nanomachines in a fashion like assimilation, rapid adaptation to weaponry, and a hive mind consciousness, as all the subjects begin following the whim of the daughter. As succumbing to the disease was inevitable, and the corrupt nanomachine programming infused itself into the bodies, the final image of the page of the manga Borg origin is left with the daughter turned Borg Queen, stating, "Resistance is futile." This origin story shares many similarities with that of the Replicators from Stargate SG-1.
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 06-02-2013 at 02:36 AM.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Just got home from seeing this. One word...OUTSTANDING!

They played this off very well with the whole time line shift created in the first one. For those who did not see Into Darkness, pay special close attention to the conversation between the "person" in the holding cell and Kirk.

No doubt this will be a release day buy and watch on Blu Ray!

On a side note, after seeing this, I'm very encouraged with JJ Abrams taking over the reigns for the next Star Wars!
    I'm not saying she's a slut, but if her vagina had a password...it would be password.

This looks like it will be an awesome movie!

It was action packed.
    LSI 15
    LSI C
    LSI FX
    Velodyne SPL-10
    Integra 9.9
    Sunfire TGA-5200
    XA2-HDDVD
    Sony 550 Blu-Ray

It was very good.
    Favorite part was the space jump with Kirk & Khan over to the Vengeance.
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Sonos Pre-Amp
    Crestron CNAMPX16x60 (Bridge Mode)
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

I just saw it. I would give it a one star. Two thumbs down.
    Panasonic 65" Plasma - Panasonic Blu-ray. Onkyo TX-NR809 RTi A7s fronts - MK CS150s surronds.

Why all the hate people? Perfectly good movie imo.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I just saw it. I would give it a one star. Two thumbs down.
    I didn't see it but... weren't there... lots and lots of stars? Perhaps some trekking as well?
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
    Why all the hate people? Perfectly good movie imo.
    I am glad you liked it. Most reviewers did. The scenarios were all repeats from other episodes and movies. The first time I saw Count Yorga the Vampire the ending surprised me when the hero just rescued the heroine but we did not know that she had been converted into a vampire and she chomped onto the hero's neck ending the movie. That would surprise no one now.

I though the actors were too young to be believable, the dialog was hokey and the logic was absurd.
    Spock speaks to future Spock and asked about Khan. Future Spock tells him he can say anything because it would effect the time line then tells young Spock that he is the most dangerous man he encountered.

I truly was disappointed
    Panasonic 65" Plasma - Panasonic Blu-ray. Onkyo TX-NR809 RTi A7s fronts - MK CS150s surronds.

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    I didn't see it but... weren't there... lots and lots of stars? Perhaps some trekking as well?
    ha ha

alternate answer - nope just one star - Leonard Nimoy

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    ha ha

alternate answer - nope just one star - Leonard Nimoy
    Excellent riposte.
    Is he (Nimoy) in it? I didn't know that...
    all the best,
    mrh

Yep, just a cameo.

Thread Information