Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Network Music players

I have a Sonos that I like but have started collecting 24/96 & 24/192 music that Sonos won't recognize and it sucks when I forget and put the hi-res music in my playlists.

So I have started pecking around for options. Started inquiring on the following but will entertain other suggestions.

Linn Majik DS
    NAD M50
    Naim ND5 XS
    or just get my Sonos modded to 24/96

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
    Ron
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have both, a regular Sonos and a Cullum modded one for those 24/96 files. I'll tell ya what, if you used the same dac with both units, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Now, being hard pressed doesn't mean there is no difference. The modded unit exhibit's slight more detail and bass control with slightly more extended highs. Is it worth the 5 bones to mod it ? I dunno man, a toss up to me. The Bryston player looks like a winner if you ask me.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I;'ll throw the Oppo 105 into the mix. I didn't even know it was a network player when I bought it, and now that's become my favorite feature! I've posted elsewhere about my love affair with this player so I won't repeat it here, but it's worth a look.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Thanks Tony, will add that to my list.

Danny how is the GUI for the Oppo, curious about how it categorizes music, and does include the regular features such as album art ect.

I will likely control this unit by 'droid or IPAD mini

What I like about the NAD or Oppo options are for example when we are at LSAF, we have the option of a CD player for those with their own music....stream line gear I have to haul around
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables

Ron it all depends on how you set it up. I set up the Oppo as a dlna renderer in jriver and I use jremote on one of the iPads laying around and it's works just like jriver with the library and artwork and all that.

The Oppo also can read directly from a USB drive or network share. In this scenario there is nothing going on in a PC which is nice since the Oppo just plays the file natively and you don't need a computer running. You browse thru the folders just like you do on a PC, but you lose the artwork and tags so its important that you have your media physically sorted in a way that makes sense to you. I'm actually considering switching to this route myself to get a computer completely out of the mix. I already have my music sorted, so just need to decide if I can live without the artwork.

Give me a ring if you have any specific questions.

Ron it all depends on how you set it up. I set up the Oppo as a dlna renderer in jriver and I use jremote on one of the iPads laying around and it's works just like jriver with the library and artwork and all that.

The Oppo also can read directly from a USB drive or network share. In this scenario there is nothing going on in a PC which is nice since the Oppo just plays the file natively and you don't need a computer running. You browse thru the folders just like you do on a PC, but you lose the artwork and tags so its important that you have your media physically sorted in a way that makes sense to you. I'm actually considering switching to this route myself to get a computer completely out of the mix. I already have my music sorted, so just need to decide if I can live without the artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Give me a ring if you have any specific questions.

Steep price just for you to answer some questions.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Steep price just for you to answer some questions.
    Cubic zirconia is all he'll get

I'm actually considering switching to this route myself to get a computer completely out of the mix. I already have my music sorted, so just need to decide if I can live without the artwork.
    This is what I am trying to accomplish but still want a nice user interface.

The Oppo player actually has an ipad app that is an interface for the player. It doesn't have artwork but is a nice clean interface

When I get home tonight I'll do a couple screenshots of the Oppo control app so you can get an idea of what it looks like, though if you know for sure you want artwork I don't think it'll work for you.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Thanks that would be great
    Art work is not so important but creating and setting up playlists is

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Upgrade the Sonos for your hi-rez files. You'll be hard pressed to beat the Sonos with it's capabilities.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

^^^I think that's what I am going to do at this point. I like the Sonos UI and with the development of Dacs and streamers starting to develop and incorporate Hi-res and even DSD compatibility, the Sonos upgrade is the most cost effective route at this time.

If your going to go that route, do some research. There is 2 camps doing the mods, one of which you already know that I mentioned and another ....frack, the name escapes me at the moment but I think they are in Europe or Australia and they have a similar but different approach on the mods. Which is better....I dunno, both camps claim the high ground but reviews are split about 50/50.

Now, just for giggles, also be aware when you mod it, you are given a choice of up to 24/96, or the higher rez. Everyone I talked to said the 24/96 mod was where it's at so I flew with that.
    Last edited by tonyb; 06-01-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Did the latest firmware update solve the gapless play issue?

Member Sales Rating: (14)

It's just such a shame that Logicrap had to go and destroy the Squeezebox like they did, because I absolutely love it as a hi-rez player. And it has a great iDevice app. The software is still downloadable, but with the high prices they fetch on eBay now that Logicrap stopped making them, I can't recommend it like I used to. But I really love my Squeezebox.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    If your going to go that route, do some research. There is 2 camps doing the mods, one of which you already know that I mentioned and another ....frack, the name escapes me.....
    There seems to be more than 2

Dr Gert Volk...See plenty of reviews but can't seem to pin down contact info...have found reviews up till earlier this year so I assume they are still available.

http://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/sonos.html

and of course W4S/Cullen

Would like to have 2 Sonos mods done by 2 different camps to do a comparison as I have 2 systems anyway...you even send one of the units for you to compare Tony.

P.S. Audiocom was a provider but no longer available

I'm sure the interface and ease of use is better on the Sonos than the Oppo. The inferface on the oppo isnt bad, but its secondary to the functionality and theres no artwork or playlist creation or editing. Since you already have a killer DAC the Oppo probably doesn't make much sense.

Here is another streaming option that will play native hi-rez tracks

http://www.bluesound.com/products/node

And then there's the yet to be released Olive player

This stuff makes your head spin...as a lot of hobbies do especially anything tech

Maybe I can get my head around some good demo's at RMAF, maybe even walk out with a cheaper demo unit

....as for now chill and enjoy the music

Still would like to see feed back to go along with the search

Thanks...will keep updating

And then there's the yet to be released Olive player
    Olive has been around for awhile now. The newer 4h model I think it's called is supposed to be coming out.

No shortage of network players, Bryston, Cary, MF, everyone and their brother has one these days. The originals like Soolos and Q-sonic are suppose to be top notch not only in SQ but their software is to die for....supposedly. Expensive though. That's why I think players from the likes of Bryston may offer up some better SQ seeing it's what they put the emphasis on. Players from Sonos, Soolos, Q-sonic put the emphasis on functionality, ease of use. Worth some digging into anyway.

Thread Information