Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default What's with the weak MP3 format downloads they give you with records?

It seems that with many new record purchases the company offers you a free MP3 download of the album.

Would it be so difficult to include a CD quality copy either as a disc or a download? I don't mean to be a snob but I do find it rather frustrating to think that after spending a good amount of money to get a vinyl copy of something, a company would insult me by offering only a compressed digital copy as an add-on. Is it not obvious that a person buying vinyl might be somewhat of an audiophile? Would it really cost anything to burn me a CD and shove it in the package, or to offer a choice of formats to download?

There is a reason why I don't buy stuff from iTunes.

And it's the same reason why I buy vinyl, CD, Blu Ray and SACD.

I guess some clarification on the MP3 would help, for some studies have shown that an MP3 ripped at 320Kps can rival original sources, but Itunes offers 160Kps and Amazon has 256Kps so your concern or disappointment is understandable.
    Family Room HT 7.1:
    Pioneer Elite VSX 32 Pioneer Elite BDP 95FD Pioneer Elite DV 47Ai Pioneer Elite MD53 SlimDevice Transporter Panamax M5300-EX
    Living room 2ch:
    Integra ADM 2.1 Teac EQ MKII Squeezebox Touch Fluance SX Speakers
    Upstaris media room:
    Pioneer VSX D510 Sony PS3 Squeezebox Classic 3 Polkaudio speakers Monitor 40 II fronts CSR Center
    Master bedroom:
    Pioneer VSX 520k Pioneer BDP 330 Squeezebox Classic 3 Optimus LX5 fronts & Rears Optimus CS3 center Acoustic Audio sub

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Because they want you to spend more money and buy the lossless CD to.

But Keiko is smarter than the record companies, and just rips his own digital copy from the vinyl. And it sounds better too!

Valid points, though I do feel that even at 320kbps an MP3 is not CD quality. There are certain subtleties and dimensions in a recording that simply can not be reproduced once the data has been thrown away. The MP3 process just throws out huge chunks of data even at its highest bitrate. So sure it might sound like a CD, but it will lack a certain sense of presence and definition.

As for ripping from vinyl, that is a taste thing and a listening environment thing. Personally I like both analog and digital formats so I try to have copies of both. There are things that the digitization process will pick up from the masters that the vinyl will not, and vice-versa. Vinyl definitely gives a more complete sound due to the enormous amount of data it contains, but it also has a higher rate of distortion and is mixed at a lower amplitude than the master in order to prevent the needle from jumping. So in the end I still want a proper digital copy of things...preferably in SACD or Blu Ray, but I am happy enough with the CD. I just refuse to accept an MP3 download after I spent big bucks on a record. Offer me a FLAC download. Show me some respect! :)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

IIRC, the whole purpose of MP3's was related to storage? I don't understand why we still have them? I've got 700+ songs stored on a 32gb sd card, and more than half of those are WAV's.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

It's a free thrown in bonus...

I'm not TOO concerned with bit rates while I drive down the road or mow my lawn.

Besides, lossless formats are not usually universally played. It's a simple way to let people listen on the go.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Probably because record companies still do not really support lossless files that can be copied indefinitely. By giving MP3s, Amazon, and others, do not have to deal with either implied, or real, threats from the record companies. Obviously, the record companies themselves will never give away lossless files.

Posted in another thread, picked up a record yesterday and had mp3/flac download included. Was QOTSA/Matador. Hopefully other record companies pick up on it.

That's great to hear!

Thread Information