Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Amp selection

  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24

    Default Amp selection

    I have purchased the LSiM705, LSiM704c and the LSiM703 along with the Onkyo TX NR 828. Great sound but I would like to bring them to a higher level! Many say that the Onkyo NRTX 828 will not provide enough juice for the LSIM series and are suggesting I should get an exteral power amp to do the job. The Onkyo TX NR 828 is rate @ 130W, 8ohm and i am looking for a amp to top that. I looked into serval brands and the price tag on those is way out of my led!!!! (After getting the full series of LSIM i m petty much broke). I went to the onkyo wed site and see they have the PA-MC5501 9ch rated @ 150W per -Channel Power 8 ohm @ a reasonable price. I am planing to use the PA-MC5501 to push the 2 fronts and center LSIM and leave the surround to the Onkyo NR TX 828. My question is that is it worth to buy this PA-MC5501 rated @150w to go along with my existing TX NR 828 with the difference of +20W?

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Posts
    1,450

    Default

    Personally I would look at a better higher power 2 channel amp to drive the 705's and let the AVR power the center and surrounds. Lots of these around on Ebay and Craigslist. You don't have enough posts yet to check the FM but look around. You can also check Audiogon and Audiomart to see what they have
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    16,065

    Default

    If an amp isn't rated at 4 ohms, that's usually an indication of a weak power supply. Look for a used amp to push the front pair. Adcom, Carver, B&K, can all be had for a couple hundies, maybe 400 tops. B&k would be my preference or Parasound.

    In answer to your question, I would pass.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    137

    Default

    If you only want to power your 2 front channels why you pick a PA-MC5501 which is 9 channels. If you don't mind get a used 2 channels there are a lot you could pick like Adcom, Carver... for lot less.
    I don't have Onkyo 828 but I have a older version of 809. Yes 130 watts power on paper but even a 100 watts extenal amp will easily beat that. I have 809 with lsi setup before added power amps. yes they sound ok. But after I added Adcom GFA 555II to my front they over power the rest of channels. I ended up get a 5 channels Emo XPA5 (200wX5). night and day different. Check the Emotiva. I know I don't want to start the Emo fight here but if you in the tight budget and want something new Emo is a good option. Get all extenal amp to power your lovely lsiM if you have 828 (guess same rate power as 809).
    MAIN:
    Front- Lsi 15,
    Center- lsiC,
    Surrounds- lsi F/X,
    Front wide - LsiM 703,
    Power sub PSW1000,
    Receiver- Onkyo 809,
    Emotiva XPA-5.
    --------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24

    Default

    thx guys, any 2 channel amp i can find in around under $2000 bucks? I am really new to this and i need some pro advice!!!

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Posts
    1,450

    Default

    For 2k you have a LOT of options, check Audiogon for used and you can get something really nice, Bryston, Classe, BAT, look at the options and come back. Para sound Halo series would be nice too and cheaper.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    16,065

    Default

    Wait a second....you said the price tags on Audiogon were way out of your league ? 2 grand ? Your options are unlimited at that price point. Sure you didn't mean 200.00 ?

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    I would get a used Bryston amplifier. They are the most reliable amplifiers and they sound very good, Quality all over and they have a warranty of....20 years!!!!. I had a few of them and I loved them!!! Now I build my own amps
    Make it simple...Make it better!

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    609

    Default

    Been said already, $2k will buy a LOT of amp, especially if you go older models, and/or gently used.

    Stuff like this is all over:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Parasoun...61221761327%26

    That would be plenty. And per my conversation with the Parasound people at CES this year, they couldn't honestly tell me I would notice a difference between the older HCA/New Classic stuff and the Halo series. They said they're all damn fine amps. ;)
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

    Up
    LSi9 LSiC - RX-V3000

    RT5000p Waiting in the Wings...

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 24 View Post
    Been said already, $2k will buy a LOT of amp, especially if you go older models, and/or gently used.

    Stuff like this is all over:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Parasoun...61221761327%26

    That would be plenty. And per my conversation with the Parasound people at CES this year, they couldn't honestly tell me I would notice a difference between the older HCA/New Classic stuff and the Halo series. They said they're all damn fine amps. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by airlung View Post
    thx guys, any 2 channel amp i can find in around under $2000 bucks? I am really new to this and i need some pro advice!!!
    No, he is looking for a 2 channels amp.
    MAIN:
    Front- Lsi 15,
    Center- lsiC,
    Surrounds- lsi F/X,
    Front wide - LsiM 703,
    Power sub PSW1000,
    Receiver- Onkyo 809,
    Emotiva XPA-5.
    --------------------------------------------------------

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    291

    Default

    What happened to the Onkyo 609 from 2 weeks ago and the cost issue? I'm confused.
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airlung View Post
    thx guys, any 2 channel amp i can find in around under $2000 bucks? I am really new to this and i need some pro advice!!!
    Hey airlung,,,, great set of speakers you purchased! I have a beast of a 2 channel amp that I may be selling. A Rotel RB 1090 amp. 380 watts @ 8 ohms and 700 watts @ 4 ohms. It will power your speaks with plenty headroom to spare!!!
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xftman View Post
    No, he is looking for a 2 channels amp.
    Do'h! Reading comprehension fail! Then options are limitless!
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

    Up
    LSi9 LSiC - RX-V3000

    RT5000p Waiting in the Wings...

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Posts
    11,638

    Default

    I would get at minimum a 3 channel 200wpc or more amp for the front three speakers. Or better still a 5 channel amp and be done. For brand new look at Outlaw Audio or Emotiva XPA amps. Or go onto Audiogon and look for Parasound, Sunfire, Rotel, Nad, Adcom etc.

    Don't cheat the rest of your speakers of power since all will sound better with more of it and it will place less strain on your receiver.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xftman View Post
    If you only want to power your 2 front channels why you pick a PA-MC5501 which is 9 channels. If you don't mind get a used 2 channels there are a lot you could pick like Adcom, Carver... for lot less.
    I don't have Onkyo 828 but I have a older version of 809. Yes 130 watts power on paper but even a 100 watts extenal amp will easily beat that. I have 809 with lsi setup before added power amps. yes they sound ok. But after I added Adcom GFA 555II to my front they over power the rest of channels. I ended up get a 5 channels Emo XPA5 (200wX5). night and day different. Check the Emotiva. I know I don't want to start the Emo fight here but if you in the tight budget and want something new Emo is a good option. Get all extenal amp to power your lovely lsiM if you have 828 (guess same rate power as 809).



    Many thx Xftman, just got my Emo XPA3 today, hooked it up, and Wow!! You ar right, night and day different!!! I do not care what others are saying for the EMOs but @ this price, what else to compliant about!!! I live in Hong Kong and even though I have to pay a fortune for shipping, I still think is well worth it!! I will spread my words around in Hong Kong about this gear and I hope more people can enjoy it. Thx again for your great recommendations!!!

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    I would get at minimum a 3 channel 200wpc or more amp for the front three speakers. Or better still a 5 channel amp and be done. For brand new look at Outlaw Audio or Emotiva XPA amps. Or go onto Audiogon and look for Parasound, Sunfire, Rotel, Nad, Adcom etc.

    Don't cheat the rest of your speakers of power since all will sound better with more of it and it will place less strain on your receiver.


    And thx for yr advice as well cfrizz!!!

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Get all the power that you can!
    LSI 15
    LSI C
    LSI FX
    Velodyne SPL-10
    Integra 9.9
    Sunfire TGA-5200
    XA2-HDDVD
    Sony 550 Blu-Ray

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. amp selection
    By Lego1 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 05:35 PM
  2. Amp Selection for RTi A9's
    By Drenis in forum Electronics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 11:09 PM
  3. Help me with my TV selection!
    By themuskr in forum Electronics
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 02:38 PM
  4. Need Help Help with Amp Selection, please
    By barneyrubble in forum Electronics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 01:44 AM
  5. sub selection
    By jablonep in forum Car Subwoofer Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts