Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 122
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    141

    Default power cord burn-in question

    Just got my McCormack DNA-1 back, with Silver upgrade and some other stuff. Bought a Shunyata Venom 3 (with extension cord) as a homecoming gift, to show it how much I love it.

    Sounded not-so-good at first blush, as expected (the cords, not the DNA-1). Now I want to burn those cords in. I can't hook the power cord up to my fridge or AC - they don't have removable cords or IEC sockets. So I've stuck them both on my computer, with its super-overkill power supply (1200w), overclocked/over-volted cpu, and seriously over-volted dual GTX 580s. But I don't leave my computer on all the time.

    My question is...I know some things, like caps, need an on-off cycle to burn in properly. But I've seen some info that suggests that a constant current is best for power cords. Is that true? For optimum burn-in, should I try to plug the cords into something that's constantly running?

    That's all. Thanks for help.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,139

    Default

    I just plug them in and let them burn-in while in use. I figure they are adapting to the gear they are running, and at some point reach an equilibrium where they work best with a particular piece of gear.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,481

    Default

    I burn in all my cords with the Plasma tv

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Thanks very much for reply...You know, normally, I actually like hearing the burn-in. It's cool to audibly hear equipment going from ok to great. Unfortunately, in this case, I just don't have the patience to wait for the Shunyata to at least sound as good as the burnt-in cord it's replacing. And I gotta say that the Venom 3 really didn't sound very good for the first few hours. Mid-range presentation really dropped out, or rather, fell back - quite noticeable.

    I'm confident that the cords' sound will improve - I'm hoping it will - but they really don't sound too good right now, and for the first time, I don't want to sacrifice listening pleasure to the burn-in process. The DNA-1 already sounds uh quite good with the burnt-in cord I have. It won't break my heart (or my wallet) if the Venom 3 doesn't end up surpassing the cord I already have; this is my first baby-steps foray into audiophile PCs, and it's a journey and I dig it...but man I love hearing that DNA-1 sing!

    So that's my problem. I hear you...oughta just suck it up...but losing the amazing quality of that remastered Cars Complete Greatest Hits...or Spirit of Eden...even just for a few days (weeks?)...that's a tough one.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Please excuse double post...Unfortunately, I don't have a plasma TV...just an "old" Sony CRT w/out removable cord, and a Samsung LED monitor for the computer. I assume the computer itself will burn the cords in faster than the monitor. I'm actually thinking of leaving the computer on overnight and turning the monitor off.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,481

    Default

    Just get it burned in and don't worry about the process, its not like if you burn a set of speakers in with certain music then they are going to sound best playing that type lol. I have taken the advice of 200 hours burn and find that number works good

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    256

    Default

    I use the fridge for burn-in, just connect the power cord and let it run for a few days. I use an IEC to NEMA-15 adapter on the amp end, to accommodate the fridge plug.

    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
    I use the fridge for burn-in, just connect the power cord and let it run for a few days. I use an IEC to NEMA-15 adapter on the amp end, to accommodate the fridge plug.
    I thought about that, may give it a try. Thanks for tip.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,110

    Default

    Just leave the cord in place and leave the stereo on for a few days, low volume of coarse.

    Aside from the power cable, what I really want to know is how the McCormack sounds.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Just leave the cord in place and leave the stereo on for a few days, low volume of coarse.

    Aside from the power cable, what I really want to know is how the McCormack sounds.
    It sounds great. I mean, really lovely, no matter what I play. Not sure if the LSi9s could sound any better.

    Went from an Adcom GFA-545 to the DNA-1, and learned what these speakers are capable of. Then I got the upgrades...I really like these LSi9s, but I'm extremely excited about the speaker upgrades in my future. I can't wait to hear what this amp is capable of. I'll be building around it for a while.

    I'm thinking of starting a thread just to show off its innards. Mr. McCormack's work is a joy to behold, as well as to listen to.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,110

    Default

    Cool man, I also love their amps. The DNA 500 is a monster.

    If you like the sound of what tubes bring to a midrange, higher frequencies, and still love that bass slam of SS, McCormack amps are a great amp to share some of each camps attributes.
    Don't let some of their lower wattage amps fool you either, they have current to spare.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Just leave the cord in place and leave the stereo on for a few days, low volume of coarse.

    Aside from the power cable, what I really want to know is how the McCormack sounds.
    He could use his stereo as one normally would and at some point the cables will all be burned in. No strenuous measures needed.
    So hot it burns twice

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bthogan View Post
    Just got my McCormack DNA-1 back, with Silver upgrade and some other stuff. Bought a Shunyata Venom 3 (with extension cord) as a homecoming gift, to show it how much I love it.

    Sounded not-so-good at first blush, as expected (the cords, not the DNA-1). Now I want to burn those cords in. I can't hook the power cord up to my fridge or AC - they don't have removable cords or IEC sockets. So I've stuck them both on my computer, with its super-overkill power supply (1200w), overclocked/over-volted cpu, and seriously over-volted dual GTX 580s. But I don't leave my computer on all the time.

    My question is...I know some things, like caps, need an on-off cycle to burn in properly. But I've seen some info that suggests that a constant current is best for power cords. Is that true? For optimum burn-in, should I try to plug the cords into something that's constantly running?

    That's all. Thanks for help.
    Are you kidding? a power cord is not a capacitor!!!! if someone tells you to do the "burnig time"...He or She know $hit!...IT IS JUST A WIRE!!!!
    Make it simple...Make it better!

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Will all this crap of power cord "burning time" change the "reciprocal siemens" in the power cord? Check it and let me know!. Maybe I am wrong like all the time. or maybe my Fluke gears are bad.
    Make it simple...Make it better!

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    715

    Default

    The burn in debate is a bit comical since by definition of any significant use of ones system means the cables are 'burned in'. Now the question begs: Do they un-burn in?
    So hot it burns twice

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    northern iowa
    Posts
    816

    Default

    the OP clearly states he does not wish to listen to the burn in and so is seeking an alternative route.

    He also clearly states he has one burned in cable and the amp sounds great, and one non-burned in cable, which sounds horrible. So I am pretty sure there is no "burn in debate" for him.
    Polk 5jr+
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Keces DA-131
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, AQ King Cobra
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    if ANYONE can hear a difference (if there is one) between "same cables", one used (burned in) and the other one brand new...that person must be out of this world. I wish I find those kind of people around here where I live, that way I can sell them regular power cords and "WASH" their brains (if they have some) with all this non-sense crap and make big money. I can tell them I have special power cables that can only produce True R.M.S power from their amps. I bet you, they will believe me hehehehehehehe

    These people that say they hear a difference in the sound....Have they ever used any kind of equipments to measure and can prove they are right?. I do not think so!...all that is in their WASHED little brains.
    Last edited by lanchile; 06-09-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Make it simple...Make it better!

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    northern iowa
    Posts
    816

    Default

    i believe he clearly states he used his ears, which is the only device possible to measure whether he can "hear" a difference. and i am sure he is the only person who needs proof, since it is his ears, his system, and his audio experience.

    so, really, there is no argument to be had.
    Polk 5jr+
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Keces DA-131
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, AQ King Cobra
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 11tsteve View Post
    i believe he clearly states he used his ears, which is the only device possible to measure whether he can "hear" a difference. and i am sure he is the only person who needs proof, since it is his ears, his system, and his audio experience.

    so, really, there is no argument to be had.
    I guess you are right! if He is happy and "convinced" that a used power cord sounds better. He should just enjoy it!!! in my case I use my ears and then I go for my equipments to confirm if I was right (most the time I am). I would not just believe whatever other people say specially in electronic staff ...unless of course I know it comes from a well "educated" electronic guru.
    Make it simple...Make it better!

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    northern iowa
    Posts
    816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
    I guess you are right! if He is happy and "convinced" that a used power cord sounds better. He should just enjoy it!!! in my case I use my ears and then I go for my equipments to confirm if I was right (most the time I am). I would not just believe whatever other people say specially in electronic staff ...unless of course I know it comes from a well "educated" electronic guru.
    i completely agree. I have read here for quite a while, and I have tried out many pieces of advice given, from cables to speaker mods, to differing pieces of gear. Some have panned out, some not, and some definitely go against the grain of what is said. All of it was worth spending money on, because I am curious, and I love to play and find out things for myself. But none of it is worth a shouting match.... it only comes down to what goes on in my little room.

    of course, as always, this is just my personal opinion.
    Polk 5jr+
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Keces DA-131
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, AQ King Cobra
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Hey 11tsteve! if you really like electronics, you should check Diyaudio.com. You can learn a lot there and have fun at the same time. I am a member there since 2008. all these years I have build many amplifiers and pre-amps. They have a lot of excellent amp's schematics, also Nelson pass is there too. I used to work in an electronic repair shop for many years so I have all the hands on training and know how they work. I have spent crazy money in my Fluke equipments. But I feel good when you can count on a accurate reading all the time. Money well spent!
    Make it simple...Make it better!

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
    Are you kidding? a power cord is not a capacitor!!!! if someone tells you to do the "burnig time"...He or She know $hit!...IT IS JUST A WIRE!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
    Will all this crap of power cord "burning time" change the "reciprocal siemens" in the power cord? Check it and let me know!. Maybe I am wrong like all the time. or maybe my Fluke gears are bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
    if ANYONE can hear a difference (if there is one) between "same cables", one used (burned in) and the other one brand new...that person must be out of this world. I wish I find those kind of people around here where I live, that way I can sell them regular power cords and "WASH" their brains (if they have some) with all this non-sense crap and make big money. I can tell them I have special power cables that can only produce True R.M.S power from their amps. I bet you, they will believe me hehehehehehehe

    These people that say they hear a difference in the sound....Have they ever used any kind of equipments to measure and can prove they are right?. I do not think so!...all that is in their WASHED little brains.
    Any more words of wisdom?

    It always amazes me how the people who know the least then talk the most to reinforce their ignorance.

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Any more words of wisdom?

    It always amazes me how the people who know the least then talk the most to reinforce their ignorance.
    Hehehehe...are you one of those "brain washed" too? and you are right... I do not know anything about electronics!
    Make it simple...Make it better!

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
    I do not know anything about electronics!
    That's obvious from your sig.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    lol...more brain washed on the road?... unbelievable! I guess there will be more coming soon. Let's wait and see!
    Make it simple...Make it better!

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pearland Texas 77584
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Well I think everyone should have a good time and do what they want and or can afford.
    I read these posts with interest and ascertain that in some cases they do make a difference
    they sure do look impressive.
    But with my income I look for something that will work well that I can afford.

  27. #27

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Salem, Oregon (Polk county!)
    Posts
    4,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
    lol...more brain washed on the road?... unbelievable! I guess there will be more coming soon. Let's wait and see!
    The opposite can also be true, correct? That is, people who believe that meters can tell one everything there is to know about a signal can also be brainwashed into believing this is true. A meter can only measure what it's designed to measure. Even then, there is a tolerence that the meter has and cannot measure beyond that threshold. Have you considered that what needs to be measured cannot be measured by a meter? Also, have you considered that the meter cannot measure in a fine enough scale to measure what needs to be measured? Something to think about...........
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

    "Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

    "Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
    lol...more brain washed on the road?... unbelievable! I guess there will be more coming soon. Let's wait and see!
    I had not realized until this thread your level of ignorance on the subject matter. Thanks for exposing yourself.

    These people that say they hear a difference in the sound....Have they ever used any kind of equipments to measure and can prove they are right?. I do not think so!...all that is in their WASHED little brains.
    While I firmly believe there is nothing better than the human ear for determining differences in audio related matters, forum member DarqueKnight has shown time and again that the process of burn in is real by posting scope readings clearly showing the differences.

    In conclusion, take your insults and your ignorance somewhere else, it isn't welcome here.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  29. #29

    Member Sales Rating: (9)

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,531

    Default

    Time for the popcorn and beer.,,.,

  30. #30

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Beautiful Central Oregon Coast
    Posts
    4,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
    lol...more brain washed on the road?... unbelievable! I guess there will be more coming soon. Let's wait and see!
    Please quit trolling. All you are doing is thread-crapping. We all know there are believers and non-believers re: all kinds of audio related issues. To start a war like this every time is worthless and amounts to nothing more than you being a jerk. If you want to start your own thread to re-hash these extremely worn-out arguments feel free, but what's the point other than to stir up a bunch of hate and dissension? Go to some other forum if you want to act like a condescending and superior little punk. We don't go much for that senseless and immature drivel here.
    ____________________________
    2 channel - Parasound A21 amp, PS Audio PWD MKII w/bridge, modded EE Minimax pre, ML Source speakers, Kimber 4TC, Gabriel Gold Rapture V3/Silnote Morpheus Ref. II IC's, Ps Audio AC5, AC3 and Pangea AC14XL power cords
    HT - Pio. Elite VSX21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panny DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk RC85i in-wall speakers
    Computer - Windows 7/JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Power cord question!
    By hamzahsh in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 06:24 PM
  2. Power cord question
    By riglehart in forum DIY, Mods & Tweaks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 02:23 AM
  3. Another power cord question
    By cindy100 in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 11:57 PM
  4. Power cord question
    By cindy100 in forum Electronics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 05:14 PM
  5. Power Cord Burn-in
    By dcarlson in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 01:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts