Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Classe DR8 Power Amp

can anyone tell me if this is a "high current" amp? any info or feedback appreciated. thank you.
    "The symbol is not the reality"

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Although its power output is 70 watts into 8 ohms in stereo, it is a high current design. It doubles output into 4 ohm loads and does the same again into 2 ohm loads.

The DR designs from Classe were superb.

What speakers are you thinking of running with the DR8?

thanks. rta 12b's.

Quote Originally Posted by laotzu61 View Post
    can anyone tell me if this is a "high current" amp? any info or feedback appreciated. thank you.
    Might this be the DR-8 that just sold on eBay yesterday? The DR models don't show up for sale very often.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

From Audiomart:

These DR8 amplifiers were designed by Dave Reich at Classe several years ago, and he'd tell you today that they were one of the best amps he ever designed. Later, he sold Classe and went on to work for McCormack, and now Theta - designing and manufacturing very high priced components.
    The DR8s are very powerful and stable amplifiers that will handle speaker loads that will make most amps cough-up a hairball and turn themselves off! They can handle with ease full range electrostats and planar speakers that go down to 1 ohm. Yet, the DR8s do this gracefully with refined and detailed sound without the harshness often found in powerful solid state amps.

The DR8 can be easily configured to run in either stereo or monobloc mode with the flick of three dip switches on the back panel. They can be used in either balanced or single-ended modes. A single DR8 in stereo produces (approximatley, as I can't say for certain - no specs in the manual) 75 watts at 8 ohms, 150 watts at 4 ohms and 300 watts at 2 ohms and !??!? at 1 ohm! In monobloc mode, it will produce 150 watts at 8 ohms, 300 watts at 4 ohms, etc etc...

Classé product brochure.

Last edited by Glen B; 06-10-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
    Might this be the DR-8 that just sold on eBay yesterday? The DR models don't show up for sale very often.
    yup; I was just looking at it, not knowing much about them. I started following the bidding, and it seems as tho quite a few people jumped in late. must be a good amp. I thought it was a "sleeper" at first.

Thread Information