Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

This Work fine, takes a minute it's a big pdf file.

http://vr3mods.com/uploads/SDA_Handbook_2011_Rev2.pdf

Your receiver does not have Pre-Amps out for an external amp.

http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/...et_AVR1912.pdf

So yes if you must play very loud or full bass
    ( I never use tone controls don't need them)
    then you are looking at another receiver and a separate amp.
    or separates period.
    Do you have a large room like 20 x 20?
    You have 90 wpc for normal listening.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/...roducts/umc200
    http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/.../products/xpa5

Quote Originally Posted by custopper30 View Post
    Polkieman, the link for the handbook doesn't work. Pulls up that the URL is invalid.

Everyone, thank you for the great and fast replies. I haven't fully taken a look at the speakers to see what exactly I will have to spend to repair, but I do want to make this a project to rebuild something great.

As for the grills, I know I will get them very very soon. It is just a matter of time when him and I cross paths again. He is looking for the interconnect cable, but I bet my money he doesn't even know what it is suppose to look like.

My next question for everyone is this.... If I wanted to run these speakers correctly with the rest of my HT, what options do I have? Do I need to buy an amp just for those speakers, if so which one is a good one and a lower price if possible? Or do I just have to buy a whole new receiver to be able to run these?

Look what I picked up today

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1062.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	86116

He had the grills. There is no cuts in the fabric but there is some type of stain on the edge and they are also peeling off. So I am just going to say heck with those black ones and replace them (color in the paragraph below)

And so the rebuild starts.... Being a poor college student, I don't have the funds for buying new drivers from polk or from ebay currently. However, in the mean time I thought I could start repairing the cabinets. I started off with rough sanding with a heavy grit paper so get through the vinyl of the speaker. Then I followed it up with 240 grit to smooth it out and give it a nice finish before I go out and buy some bondo to reshape the edges and fill in the gap. Before you all start to freak out about me sanding through the woodgrain vinyl, it was so heavily chipped that it wasn't even worth trying to say it. As for my "modification" of the speakers, I really want to make these special and stand out so I have the idea of purchasing some white carbon fiber vinyl to wrap the cabinets in, rebuilding the base around the existing base with brushed aluminum, and then finally getting white speaker cloth for the grills as those also need to be replaced. It will be a really cool looking pair of SDAs or so my imagine is telling me so haha. If anyone wants to help out a bud and send me drivers they may have extras of or helping upgrading the tweeters, it will be greatly appreciated! If not, I'll just have to wait and see what I can do down the road since this college funding is ridiculously expensive considering I want to go into medicine too. I am also missing the interconnect cable, but am hoping to either make one on my own and order the connectors, or buy one down the road... Well I know you all are waiting for pictures at the start of this rebuild, so here you go!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1058.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	521.1 KB
ID:	86117Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1059.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	86118Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1060.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	511.4 KB
ID:	86119Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1061.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	513.0 KB
ID:	86120
    Receiver: Denon 1912
    Speakers:
    Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 70s (x2)
    Rears: Polk Audio Monitor 50 (x2)
    Center: Polk Audio Monitor 70
    KLH Sub GFX-550

It'd be a lot quicker and easier to remove the vinyl veneer using a heat gun. If you search the forum there are some "how to" threads.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

White carbon fiber, brushed aluminum and white grille cloth? I guess to each their own.

Personally, I think exotic hardwoods with classic black will make them stand out more than making them look like the Honda Civic of the speaker world.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    .....making them look like the Honda Civic of the speaker world.

Unpimp de SDA
    Attachment 86129
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

White carbon fiber, brushed aluminum and white grille cloth? I guess to each their own.

Personally, I think exotic hardwoods with classic black will make them stand out more than making them look like the Honda Civic of the speaker world.
    Not everyone can afford exotic hardwood veneer. Maybe that's what his other gear looks like. Maybe that's the theme of his apartment. They're his babies, if he wants to paint them purple with pink elephant decals, so be it.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ished...Almost
    Center: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, H-Nuts, BH5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

I never said he could or couldn't do whatever the eff he wants to do with his speakers.

In fact, using the quantifier "personally", I was pretty sure I made it abundantly clear that I was expressing my opinion.

But let's try it again so that your feathers are less ruffled.

PERSONALLY *I* find the combination of white carbon fiber look vinyl, brushed aluminum and white grille cloth to be reminiscent of the Honda Civics you see the local high school drop outs "pimping out" and even though THEY think it looks cool and all that, it is not my tastes and therefore, I find it visually offensive.

But then I also look at every mod, update or change to anything as how it is going to effect the resale value of said item. And I am pretty sure, judging from what I have read from the various SDA owners on this forum that my opinion is shared as most seem to either get back to their original look or a similar variation of the same.

As an aside, a roll of white carbon fiber look vinyl from a quality manufacturer such as 3M actually costs 2 to 3 times as much as a common real wood paper back or self adhesive veneer such as maple, cherry, oak or walnut.

(Also, not to get all technical but carbon fiber...real carbon fiber is by nature, black. There is no such thing as white carbon fiber.)
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Member Sales Rating: (13)

He had the grills.
    Great, I'm pleased to have been wrong about that one.

They're his babies, if he wants to paint them purple with pink elephant decals, so be it.
    On the other hand, you can't beat a classic.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I never said he could or couldn't do whatever the eff he wants to do with his speakers.

In fact, using the quantifier "personally", I was pretty sure I made it abundantly clear that I was expressing my opinion.

But let's try it again so that your feathers are less ruffled.

PERSONALLY *I* find the combination of white carbon fiber look vinyl, brushed aluminum and white grille cloth to be reminiscent of the Honda Civics you see the local high school drop outs "pimping out" and even though THEY think it looks cool and all that, it is not my tastes and therefore, I find it visually offensive.

But then I also look at every mod, update or change to anything as how it is going to effect the resale value of said item. And I am pretty sure, judging from what I have read from the various SDA owners on this forum that my opinion is shared as most seem to either get back to their original look or a similar variation of the same.

As an aside, a roll of white carbon fiber look vinyl from a quality manufacturer such as 3M actually costs 2 to 3 times as much as a common real wood paper back or self adhesive veneer such as maple, cherry, oak or walnut.

(Also, not to get all technical but carbon fiber...real carbon fiber is by nature, black. There is no such thing as white carbon fiber.)
    I can assure you my feathers weren't ruffled in the slightest, but apparently yours eff'n were. Shouting with all caps, and psuedo cursing.
    I was simply expressing my opinion as well
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have an after market interconnect cable if you want it. It's 13' long.
    your call

Quote Originally Posted by westmassguy View Post
    I can assure you my feathers weren't ruffled in the slightest, but apparently yours eff'n were. Shouting with all caps, and psuedo cursing.
    I was simply expressing my opinion as well
    *shrug* You felt the need to sh!t on my opinion. Turnabout is fair play.

Bear in mind, I only hold this opinion for the white carbon "faux"ber idea. Done right, a white finish can look well done. But in a smaller speaker that isn't going to be the dominant feature of a room.

you two take it outside

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    you two take it outside
    Oh I'm done, no worries there.
    To the OP, feel free to continue PMing me. I'll help you as much as I can
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

OP
    MW6510's are on Ebay all the time you just need patients to get a good price. Last week there was passive radiators for a good price just keep looking and be patient. I've got some SDA2a's with all mods done very good but you'll need a good amp to get all you can out of them. They ate up my Yamaha 992 so i do not recommend any receiver except maybe a newer pioneer elite ice amp.
    YMMV

A RCA cable will work for the interconnect cable. That's what I use, and it works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    A RCA cable will work for the interconnect cable. That's what I use, and it works just fine.
    He doesn't have the pin/blade plug, in which case, you would be correct. He has the blade/blade plug.

No worries I don't hate all of your opinions!! That is what I asked for. I want everyone's opinions because I want to do a good job modding these.
    Speakers:
    KLH Sub GFX-550

Thank you ZLTFUL, I stand corrected.

CU, before you go throwing a nontraditional finish on those cabs, consider how appreciative of the look you will be in 5 years. Tastes change and I'd be willing to bet that look would go south quick. There are a multitude of wood grain veneers and I'm sure there is at least a handful of them that tickle your fancy. If I were doing a bigger job like that, I'd want to know my work would last longer than the 'new' of the finish. Given the size of those pups, it makes it even more probable that their looks will eventually sour, since that's a large piece of furniture to showcase. Smaller speakers wouldn't concern me as much: less cost, less visibility, and less work. I'd still venture on the safe side though.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

How much is the wood grain veneer would be to redo both of the speakers? I would do black if anything. That was my other choice
    Speakers:
    KLH Sub GFX-550

How much is the wood grain veneer would be to redo both of the speakers? I would do black if anything. That was my other choice
    http://www.parts-express.com/term/veneers?c=310,630
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R

Just did, what price would you say go for them if I was able to buy two of them?
    Speakers:
    KLH Sub GFX-550

Also, I noticed that when I was turning knobs on the receiver to increase the bass/treble balance, the speakers produced a crackling noise. Does anyone know what that is?
    Speakers:
    KLH Sub GFX-550

Dirty Pots. Its the amp, not the speakers. Get some Deoxit, unplug the amp, and spray into the pots as best you can (you will likely need to remove the top and possibly the faceplate to get it good). Work the knobs around until it starts to loosen up. Let it dry and then you should be good to go. It might take a few applications to get it good and clean.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

ports you mean? I was hoping it was the amp not going to lie.... It is a super old technics from my parents and it was just there to use with these speakers till I get a better receiver that I can power it up with and use for my HT.
    Speakers:
    KLH Sub GFX-550

ports you mean? I was hoping it was the amp not going to lie.... It is a super old technics from my parents and it was just there to use with these speakers till I get a better receiver that I can power it up with and use for my HT.
    POTentiometers
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp
    Adcom GFA-555 amp Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ Hidden away in the closet

I do apologize for my comparison to a Honda Civic. It was a bit harsh.

But, I do stand by my opinion that it isn't a great combo to go with.
    PSB Image towers are available in white and look good. But still sport a black grille.
    A lot of Audioengines are available in white and look decent.
    But those are all solid white. It's the carbon look vinyl that I think would kill the overall look. Not to mention, these are huge speakers comparatively that would immediately draw the eye and not necessarily in a good way.

Maybe do a maple veneer if you want a lighter color. I am a big fan of maple speakers.

Like Skip said (and me as well...albeit a in far more rude manner), think about how they are going to look to you in 5 years...or even to a potential buyer a few years down the road when you decide to upgrade.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Maybe do a maple veneer if you want a lighter color. I am a big fan of maple speakers.
    I did maple on my sda's and they're beautiful. I agree with the notion that it's your money, and you can do whatever you want with it. But my advice when doing these big refurb jobs is always that you shouldn't wander too far off the reservation. These are classic speakers, I personally like them looking that way. As DSkip said, you don't want to do something here that you'll grow tired of in a few years, and you don't want to hurt your potential resale value. Have a look at how my 4.1TL's came out in maple:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...s-are-complete!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

I have taken that into account. I thought the white look would be really cool but looking at it with the rest of my speakers, it just isn't right to do. Nspindel, where did you find the veener? I really am thinking about doing a black stained wood as I like the black aspect. I wanted to keep the grills black too but then what I am sticking with is the idea of shaping aluminum to the bottom portion of the speaker cabinet where it sits on the ground (the smaller box it sits on). From there, I am going to fabricate my own speaker spikes/legs to mount on the bottom to finish off the speakers.
    Speakers:
    KLH Sub GFX-550

Thread Information