Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Polk speakers/sub for PC sound via A/V receiver

Good afternoon. I have a pair of Polk 30s, and I just received my Polk Audio PSW505 sub. (I also have a pair of Bose 301s for later, perhaps.)

I want to use my new Sony 7.1 A/V receiver, and use it as a sound system for my PC. Is there a recommended method for this? I have SPDIF (optical) option, and HDMI in/out. In fact, I guess I have whatever connection would be optimal.

I just saw that someone else had asked about something similar, but didn't come back for answers. I'd rather get suggestions to connect it properly instead of just running around like a crazy person trying out every possibility.

Thanks for any help. Oh, and the receiver is the Sony STR-DH520

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

I would suggest SPDIF/optical from the PC as it will not conduct the electrical noise. I presume you have an SPDIF output on your computer?

PC -> SPDIF -> Sony Receiver -> speakers cables -> Polk 30s

Thank you for the suggestion. For some reason, the spdif connector does not fit into the spdif input on the receiver. The one I have is one of those hard plastic cables, and it seems that the connector end is too large for the receiver's input. I didn't know there were different sizes, or am I not pushing hard enough? (Yes, I really am that ignorant when it comes to these types of connections.)

In the meantime, I'm trying to dig up one of my HDMI cables I know I have around here somewhere, until I can determine what the snag is via spdif.

Again, thank you for your time.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

SPDIF is keyed so it will only fit in with one side up, but there is only one size connector. Sometimes it's a little tricky to get it secure based on how the cable twists from one component to the other.

Sorry for answering so late. I have everything up and running via HDMI. Yes, I was confused and didn't know there are a couple of different types of SPDIF ends, and I had the one used for mobile devices, with a long male plug. I now have a new, standard sized SPDIF cable to use as signal to the receiver while I use HDMI to run the on-screen controls on my monitor. I'm also testing SPDIF vs HDMI for sound quality, but so far I've been told that HDMI will provide better multi-speaker set systems.

The sound is incredible. Games, music came alive. The upgrade from my Klipsch 4.1 speaker system to this is similar to when I upgraded from a HD5770 to a gtx580 card, though I think that the PSW505 is the engine driving the awesome. heh.

I am using an Onkyo 809 via HDMI with my PC hooked up to a PSW111 and 2x TSI100's.

It sounds great!

Thread Information