Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Default Cd player having issues playing songs at the end of a long disc

Have a Denon DCd-1500II that i am using as a transport and i notice more often then not that if a cd is longer then say 12-13 songs it will not play them...what kind of an internal issue is this and/or is it time to switch transports?
    Computer room

Rega RP1 w/Performance Pack
    Vienna Acoustics Bach Classic
    Magnavox CDB650 transport
    Modded MSB DAC
    Pioneer F-91 Tuner
    Lounge Audio MM phono preamp w/LCR RIAA Correction
    Jolida JD1501 Integrated Amp

H/T

Samsung Plasma
    Outlaw 950 pre/pro
    Tannoy Saturn 8's
    Hsu sub
    Emotiva UPA-500 5-channel amp
    Adcom GCD-600
    Philips Turntable
    Battery powered phono pre

Garage

Jennings Research Square
    Custom tube preamp
    Yamaha M-65
    Philips 935
    Modded MSB Link DAC

Member Sales Rating: (0)

So the CD player does register that there are 13 songs on the disc, so it is reading the TOC, but when you try to skip to a track at the end of the disc it won't play? I guess we would need more info on what exactly happens.

I had an issue like the one I describe with a Sony player. I lifted the hood, checked the mechanical tracks that the lens travels on, and ended up putting new lithium grease on the tracks. It worked for me, but I did some research on how to do some of that stuff.

I don't know exactly what the issues with your player may be, but I would look to see if the lens can travel to the furthest part of the disc. If it can't I would say you have a mechanical issue that you may be able to fix. If it's not working, no harm in trying to see what's going in inside if you are comfortable doing that. If you don't want to do that, then I would say time to look for a new transport.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by GospelTruth View Post
    So the CD player does register that there are 13 songs on the disc, so it is reading the TOC, but when you try to skip to a track at the end of the disc it won't play? I guess we would need more info on what exactly happens.

I had an issue like the one I describe with a Sony player. I lifted the hood, checked the mechanical tracks that the lens travels on, and ended up putting new lithium grease on the tracks. It worked for me, but I did some research on how to do some of that stuff.

I don't know exactly what the issues with your player may be, but I would look to see if the lens can travel to the furthest part of the disc. If it can't I would say you have a mechanical issue that you may be able to fix. If it's not working, no harm in trying to see what's going in inside if you are comfortable doing that. If you don't want to do that, then I would say time to look for a new transport.
    I think this is good advice. I am guessing it is a problem with the laser tracking on the metal rod. There is probably dirt, hair, etc. on the rod. This will cause mechanical issues with the laser not being able to travel to the furthest reading point of the disc. Or, there is not enough grease on the rod. As GT said, pop the top and look inside at the metal rail the laser tracks on and look for hair, dirt, etc. that can be interfering with it's movement. Lithium grease being put onto the metal rod will also help.
    Last edited by headrott; 06-13-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (0)

part of the instructions on my cd cleaning disk is to program tracks 1 and 14 the first and last on the play list so the movement will run the full length of the metal rods, cleaning and lubing is another option if you want to take it apart

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Try to clean/lube the rails. If that doesn't help, its likely that its out of adjustment. Many of those older CD players had servo tracking that had to be adjusted (you can usually see the trim pots on the mechanism). Thankfully, newer players are self adjusting. If that Denon is not self adjusting, you'd have to get the service manual, find the test points, have the right instruments, etc. If that's the case, its probably time to switch to something newer.
    Last edited by billbillw; 06-28-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I had the exact same issue with my cd player. It would stop playing once it reached the 12+ songs, the first 11 played just fine. I opened her up and noticed that the cd would spin but had a very slight wobble to it. As the laser went further out from the center of the cd, the wobble was most pronounced and thats where it would fault out. In my case, I noticed that there was a small piece of debris stuck to the outer diameter of the small wheel the cd rests on. How that small piece of junk got there is beyond me, but all I had to do was clean it and my problem went away. So open her up and see how true the cd spins..you never know what you will find.

Thread Information