Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Adcom GFP 710 worth fixing?

I recently purchased a Adcom GFP-710 preamp. The pre itself if in great condition cosmetically and came in the original packaging with remote. However the phono section is not working. I bought it off of that large auction site for a reasonable price, that being a working price. I have been in communication with the seller for quite a while and he claims it was working when he sent it and that anything wrong, must of occurred during transit. I have talked to a few techs and they both said that my problem was not done during shipping but by somebody hooking up a source other then a turntable to the phono input. I have informed the seller of this and he still claims it was working when sent. My question is this, do I file a complaint and possibly get my money back and send the pre back to the seller OR do I just forget about it and have the pre completely serviced and add it to my collection? I dont really know where this pre falls into place compared to other pre amps.
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.
    Amplifiers: Carver TFM-25 (x2), Adcom GFA 555 and a Dynaco ST-70
    Pre: Carver C-1, Adcom GFP 710, Adcom GFP 555

Member Sales Rating: (49)

There is only 3 Adcom pre's worth owning, and fixing if needed (depending on the severity of work that is) and that is one of them..

That is my opinion of course..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Thanks...I will probably just keep it and have it fixed. I am just ticked the seller is being so stubborn.

I would certainly leave feedback to warn other buyers. I just bought a Yamaha off the same site & it has a flakey left channel. I think its related to the rca jack. Flaky connection does not = "excellent" to me. Just contacted seller - trust he will be more reasonable than yours.

Does the GFP 710 have the passthru feature that the GFP 750 has? Thanks. D

Quote Originally Posted by bored184 View Post
    Thanks...I will probably just keep it and have it fixed. I am just ticked the seller is being so stubborn.
    IMO, the money you would spend on fixing it could go towards a decent entry-level outboard phono stage like the Cambridge Azur 551P for example, that will probably give the Adcom internal phono stage a good run.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Cambridg...P-Phono-Preamp
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

IMO, the money you would spend on fixing it could go towards a decent entry-level outboard phono stage like the Cambridge Azur 551P for example, that will probably give the Adcom internal phono stage a good run.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Cambridg...P-Phono-Preamp
    Glen has a point but so do you about getting what you paid for , don't let the time expire for a ebay claim. If you have tried to work it out with the seller, then go to ebay and get them involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabutcher View Post
    Does the GFP 710 have the passthru feature that the GFP 750 has? Thanks. D
    It has a bypass out which bypasses the tone controls if that is what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by telemetry View Post
    Glen has a point but so do you about getting what you paid for , don't let the time expire for a ebay claim. If you have tried to work it out with the seller, then go to ebay and get them involved.
    I think its been to long to file a claim, I already decided to keep the pre and have it serviced. I was hoping to get it out today but it looks like it will go out tomorrow.
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA 1C, SDA SRS-2 (fully modded), Monitor 4A, Infinity RS-6b and Infinity Kappa 8.
    Amplifiers: Carver TFM-25 (x2), Adcom GFA 555 and a Dynaco ST-70
    Pre: Carver C-1, Adcom GFP 710, Adcom GFP 555

Thread Information