Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by marvda1 View Post
    i can't get an invite, guess he thinks i'll drink all his beer
    But you did, July 20. Paul wasn't going to be able to make it so he came over earlier. Don't worry, they'll sound better for you, I promise.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I do love mono blocks! I'm thinking about getting back into tubes but can't stretch the budget enough. Now this thread has me thinking about the Shuguang S8MK integrated as a possible solution. I've been considering a Yaqin but like the point to point wiring in the Shuguangs. Any additional observations on your mono blocks DSkip?

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    Robert Grodinsky RGR Model 5
    Emotiva XDA-1
    A/D/S L710

I enjoy these things more and more as time goes on. I compare the improvement over the jolida to adding a high end dac to the system. I have no qualms about the build quality and love the remote cut from a solid piece of metal. These are a definite step up in quality from almost anything at the $2k mark. I was scared to drop that much (my previous biggest purchase was well under $1k and I was familiar with the product. No regrets to speak of here in any regard.

Keep in mind this was their flagship product. I'd expect similar quality from their other products but won't guarantee it. Zingo has owned a piece or two and seemed to enjoy his as well. I will also share that their company was sourced to build jolida amps in the past.
    Attached Images  
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Set up the system a bit differently after digging through ikea's as is and finding a board that matches my stand. Got room now to add some vinyl and a phono pre:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  508.6 KB

I'm going to have to get with Doug and order some cables to better accommodate the setup.

Lookin good. Nice setup.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Very nice! I like how clean everything looks, and the squared look of that preamp.

Thanks for the update DSkip. I did order the Shuguang S8MK yesterday. I should receive it around July 10th.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    Robert Grodinsky RGR Model 5
    Emotiva XDA-1
    A/D/S L710

Congrats on the purchase! Keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by cubdog View Post
    Thanks for the update DSkip. I did order the Shuguang S8MK yesterday. I should receive it around July 10th.

cubdog
    How did this purchase work out for you?

I ended up buying some new tubes today. I got a NOS matched pair of RCA long plate 12ax7's, a single NOS RCA clear-top 12au7, and a pair of 1950's NOS 6sn7's. I'm hoping these make a big impact on the SQ these amps offer.

Came home from the game to find a box waiting for me to open. Turns out the clear top already made it in, so I threw it in for a short session tonight. Already noticing big dividends. More holographic sound, better definition, tighter, more controlled bass... Massive differences that put the cherry on top of a great night.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

What's the clear top?
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by megasat16 View Post
    What's the clear top?
    See previous post. Guy has them for $8 shipped, well worth it if you need some.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    See previous post. Guy has them for $8 shipped, well worth it if you need some.
    Which post? I read up a few more posts and I don't see anything that said clear top? You meant u bought some tubes for $8 shipped?

Whatever it is, I want some for $8 shipped?
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    How did this purchase work out for you?

I ended up buying some new tubes today. I got a NOS matched pair of RCA long plate 12ax7's, a single NOS RCA clear-top 12au7, and a pair of 1950's NOS 6sn7's. I'm hoping these make a big impact on the SQ these amps offer.
    This post. Guy on eBay has some that are conn branded, nos for $8 per. Thinking of snagging a few myself now.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Very pretty
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Got the 6sn7 pair in today and giving them a listen. Seems like I'm getting better separation, but that could just be the clear top. What I can tell is that the amps seem to have better control and not distort in some areas like they used to. The 6sn7 is the multiplier in my monoblocks, so didn't expect as big of a change there as I'm getting from the preamp. The long plates come in tomorrow and I'm VERY excited to get my ears on those.

Skip,

Nice to hear things are getting sweeter and sweeter!

Hello,

I just picked up the s200mk preamp and was wondering if you could share your tube rolling preferences so far.

Trying to figure out which tubes have the most effect on the sound the, ax-7's/au7/ or the el-84 or is it a combo of these tubes?

Thanks and how are you liking your set-up now that its been a few months?

I really enjoy the setup and the preamp is probably my favorite over the amps. For what they're selling for now, they're damn nice preamps. I'm currently using RCA long plate 12ax7's, an RCA clear top 12au7, and the stock el84 and 6z4. You won't find a replacement for the 6z4.

I tried several different 12ax7's and the long plates were the hands down winner. They take away the cold sound of the stock, maintains the details, and widened the soundstage. This is the area that's going to make the biggest impact on tonality.

I highly recommend the clear top as your first and maybe only roll in that slot. For what they sell for, it's a no brainer given their massive improvement. It cleared up the smear that I didn't know I really had without changing the sonic signature much, if at all.

I only had two other el84, both vintage holland made and I'm not sure how much life is on them. I rolled those and got strong sibilance and a decrease in clarity. I'm thinking the tubes are on their last leg, but I dont know for sure without a tester. I've wanted to try some nos, but it was hard to find a single at a cost I was willing to pay at the time.

I'd sell my amps before I sold the preamp. Every combination of gear I try always sounds significantly better when the preamp is in the loop. I'm looking at possible source/speaker upgrades right now, but once those get taken care of, I plan on upgrading all components in the preamp. I will also probably switch the pins on the 6z4 to convert it to a 6x4. I've already put dynamat in it and noticed even greater clarity.

I do have one complaint about it though. I hate that the only way to get the top cover off is to take off the bottom plate. Absolutely stupid design IMO. I leave the top off permanently.

Thanks for the info.

I have a pair of rca blackplate ax-7 that i will try in it.
    also going to order a cleartop per your recomendation.
    This pre has a power button on the faceplate and an on/off button on the remote, the manual is not clear how to go about using these.
    The remote on/off wont really turn the unit on until you press the on button on the face plate. My question is do you just turn off the pre with the remote's on/off or do you also shut it off with the faceplate power button? I noticed that the tubes still glow when using the remotes off button but they go out when shutting the pre off with the button thats on the faceplate.
    thanks
    John.

Thread Information