Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I would suggest that you demo a few sound bars before you consider buying one. I know you're a 2-channel guy, but that is why I'm pretty sure you will not like what you hear.

The timbre matched thing can be a little confusing. The center channel doesn't carry all of the dialogue, but it averages about 80 percent of it. With multi-channel sound, they can direct sound to the speakers, and the amount of sound as they wish. So if somebody is speaking on the left side of the screen, the mix may be 70 center, 20 left, and 10 right. That's why you try to timbre match.

I would suggest you get an entry level AVR, and don't worry about pre-outs right now. Best Buy open box for 300 or less, an a good manufacturer for instance. I would then use the advents for the front mains, and maybe try a Monitor series for the center. It won't be timbre matched, but I think that would still sound better than a sound bar.

There is a really good buy on the CSI A4, at Polk E-Bay,but again it won't be timbre matched. Then again, I think if you hear, and play with an HT set-up a little, small Monitors or RTI A's may be finding a new home. There really isn't much difference trying to get good/great sound quality from 2-channel or HT. Just depends on how far you wish to go. Sounds like you want a little improvement on the HT front, and it's still sound quality you're working on.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallight View Post
    OK the pic that you have is with a 36" tv...the base plate alone on a 60" Panny....is bigger then the box. So how can this work?? How can there be that many speakers in it..unless the box for that size TV is massive???
    the 580 handles up to 120 lbs 65' tv, check out that link in my first post. these things sound damn good. The first link was from Crutchfield here is one from Amazon. You really need to check the 580 out. http://www.amazon.com/ZVOX-580-Low-P.../dp/B0055FZIX4

I wish you well...
    LSI 15
    LSI C
    LSI FX
    Velodyne SPL-10
    Integra 9.9
    Sunfire TGA-5200
    XA2-HDDVD
    Sony 550 Blu-Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rpf65 View Post

I would suggest you get an entry level AVR, and don't worry about pre-outs right now. Best Buy open box for 300 or less, an a good manufacturer for instance.
    For $399 you can get an Onkyo TX-NR709 that will have pre outs.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

rfp65, your probably right. If i went to listen to sound bars.."for music", i would like none of them.

But thats why i have SDA's, big amps, and tube CD player. If i want to listen to the Allman live i go down to the basement. I can spend hours down there.

But movies, on a TV.....ALL i care about is hearing the dialog, with out having to turn the volume up and down, because the music, from some jerk producer who seemed to think the music should overpower the dialog. I don't care. It should be back round stuff and nothing more, as far as i'm concerned.

To be Honest...I'm sure i don't really care if these speakers are timber matched or not. I'm not listening to music....thats why I have a big buck STEREO system down stairs...all i want is decent dialog, and music that i don't have to mess with as far as volume..thats all...nothing more..Period!

If i can get away with a pretty cheap AVR, use the Advents and buy a CSi a4 for the center.

And this solves the Dialog VS Music problem..then i'm a HAPPY camper.

Yeah you are right why let the RTI12s, and the Advents sit Idle? Get a decent AVR and a bigger center than the a4, say an a6 or what ever center is recommended with the 12's.

I'll confess, I've only heard Advents a couple of times for very short periods. The CSI A4 is a fairly bright speaker, so dialogue is very clear and pronounced. I only suggested this speaker because of the music/dialogue/director comment.

I'm running a 5.1 set-up using a Yamaha RX-V571, RTI A5's, CSI A4, and RTI A1's. For the price, about $250, it's a very capable reciever. I don't think I would run a 7.1 on it, but then again that doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. An entry level reciever will probably be fairly close to the 2 channel driven specs, if your just going to stay with a 3.1 configuration. Maybe within 15% of the rating.

With the high end AVR's going to 11.x configuration, a 5.1 can be found fairly cheap.

How old are the Advents, I do hear that if the speakers aren't sheilded then they will interfer w/ your new tv. Just something else to consider when it's all sorted out.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by naturallight View Post
    Now i'm not an HT nut, not sure if i really care about it that much at all. BUT, the movies and stuff, the volume on the dialog is to low the music is to loud, a major pain in the butt. I have to sit with the volume control in my hand, going up and down on it. So there must be a better solution to this.
    This is the issue, not a center channel or surround bar. Look, movies are all not created equal. What you describe is the differences in the way movies are recorded. Most modern receivers have some aspect of a night mode which compresses the sound a tad so as not to get those big swings in voices and music. Still that may not do it for you on every movie. A center channel speaker once hooked up to a HT receiver is able to have it's own volume raised or lowered. You could do that on the fly too with most AVR's.

The other problem is matching the center to the Advents. The sound needs to be in the same family as your front left and right or it will sound funky, localized. Maybe another advent speaker from the same model line ? You could most likely pick one up off of craigslist on the cheap. Which leaves a HT receiver. Get the most you can afford with pre-outs. The HT receiver is your control hub for everything.

Of course your other option is to sell everything and start from scratch. Those 12's your not using will bring in some coin.

Thats right, throw gas on an already out of control fire...LOL The Advents are the newer anniversary models, probably built in the early 90's (maybe) I can find no info on these pertaining to being shielded or not. I was under the "assumption" shielding does not effect a plasma TV only a CRT.

But I could be 100% wrong on this.

You at least owe yourself a demo of that Zvox 580 you would be surprised just bring your favorite blu ray concert along, and a good movie to demo it with, the 580 is bigger than you think

Non-shielded speakers will affect a CRT, but not plasma, LED, or LCD. You should be fine running the Advents.

Thanks rpf, at least that solves 1 problem. The issue with timber matching..i just don't know. Maybe some baby Advent, but they don't use anything like the tweeter that's in the large ones. It's pretty much a crap shoot. I could just call Polk and ask them if they have a clue about what model center may be close to the Advent. Can't hurt to ask. The only other thing would be to look around on AV forums, see if anybody else is running the Advents for mains and what center they use.

Good idea and I'm glad you're considering timbre more. Its like adding a big upgrade to your 2ch: you don't know what you're missing until its there.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Now, now. Now now now now now. Now? Now now. Now!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Thread Information