Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sansui Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Sansui Speakers

I see the Sansui receivers are praised but not too much is said about their speakers. Does anyone have Sansui speakers in their systems? Which models? opinions in general?

For me Sansui speakers serve as my reference point on how bad sounding a speaker can be and are to be avoided. Their only redeeming qualities are the cabinets are well made. Their electronics though are a different story. I have a couple of their vintage pieces (au9500+au11000) which sound excellent and I'll never part with.
    main set up; modded polk 1.2tl's, recapped mcintosh mc2500, restored yamaha c4, clearaudio emotion, nano +beta woodbody, restored sansui tu9900, sony dvp 9000es, def tech pf18 sub, dedicated listening building

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

That period was pretty much the AR, KLH, Advent, etc. era of speakers. Most Japanese receivers were usually paired with American made speakers of that time. Sansui speakers? I have some Realistic Novas that would be a better pairing with my 5000A or AU-517.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Sansui, like most of the Japanese massmarket hifi brands of the 1960s and 1970s, was "inspired" for the US market, by JBL for all of the wrong reasons. Sansui generally put too big of a woofer in too small of a box and augmented it with admixtures of numerous poorly integrated horn and cone midwoofers, midranges, subtweeters, tweeters and supertweeters. The term "boom box" has a very specific meaning in speaker design parlance; many of the Sansui speakers were designed using in essence a boom box alignment.

The term "Kabuki Speaker" has evolved to describe this form trumps function class of loudspeaker design.

Having said that... interestingly, even the massmarket hifi brands understood good loudspeaker design and most of them, over the years, made some extremely good loudspeakers. They just didn't bother to export them to the US. There were probably several reasons for this - not the least of which was the expense of shipping a large, heavy box that, when it's all said and done, is mostly empty space! Indeed, as energy costs soared, many if not most of the big Japanese names began building their loudspeakers in the US - the Pioneer "Project Series", for example.

If you want to see the best - and worst - of Sansui loudspeakers of that era, peruse http://www.audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/speaker/index.html

Here are some great awful examples of US-marketed Sansui speakers courtesy of the Wayback Machine from the late, great www.classic-sansui.net site.

Name:  PAMPHL5.JPG
Views: 3696
Size:  235.6 KB
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 06-13-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Except one or two exception, all Sansui speakers are crap.
    However, they may be better than Fisher STV series.

Boston A400,VR950, DefTech BP10,, Klipsch Forte,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,5A,7C, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690, Genesis 3+.
    SUB:Deftech PF15TL+, DCM TB1010, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-535,555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

The incredibly modest little Sansui SP-30 two-way is a very respectable-sounding speaker. Honest. Would I kid youse guyses?

http://www.audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/speaker/sp-30.html

These US-made Pioneer Project 100A speakers, despite their goofy configuration (cone tweeter and dome MR) are almost surprisingly respectable.

Last edited by mhardy6647; 06-13-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

I bought some SP 3000's out of a thrift shop a few years back. They stayed in my house for less than a month. I really did not care for them at all.

One of my fondest memories is my friend's trailer home where he had a Sansui x00 watt receiver and a pair of Sansui big-A** woofer speakers. We were watching Total Recall on laser disk while enjoying a few beers. When the dome blew the entire trailer shook then the lights went out until we fumbled to find the breaker box.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade)
    Parasound: C/PT-600, HCA-800II; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RM7, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DRA-825R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz PM5004, CD5004

A buddy of mine had a pair of Sansui speakers when we were in college. Beautiful cabinets, interesting wood lattice grills, but sound wise completely uninteresting. They were totally outclassed by first my large Advents, and later ADS L-700's.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

This makes me think of when I first started getting into vintage audio gear. I had a combination of marantz and other gear as a teenager that i had got from local pawn shops. I had just gotten most of my original gear back from my sister after many many years and it got me to looking at other vintage gear on the net. I fell in love with the looks of the Pioneer Sa-706 with it's matching tuner. i have always been a sucker for VU meters. this got me to looking at some of their early speakers. i found a pair of CS-77. They were beautiful and simple enough to sound good (so i thought as they did not have 10+ drivers per cabinet) I drove 2 hours round trip to get them and so very excitedly carried them in and hooked them up. man was i disappointed. Even compared to the Advent 2's I had been using. They definitely sounded nothing like my HPM 700's i had as a teenager. beautiful cabinets but the design was still the same many driver/ pretty cabinet mentality and sonically they suffered greatly. One of my biggest audio disappointments.

Quote Originally Posted by skrol View Post
    One of my fondest memories is my friend's trailer home where he had a Sansui x00 watt receiver and a pair of Sansui big-A** woofer speakers. We were watching Total Recall on laser disk while enjoying a few beers. When the dome blew the entire trailer shook then the lights went out until we fumbled to find the breaker box.
    that there is funny :)

Member Sales Rating: (55)

A complete horror story. There is a tin-eared following for those Sansui and Pioneer lattice-cabinet speakers. I had a brand-new looking pair of Sansui SP2000 just a couple years back, in the brand new looking Sansui boxes they came in. I couldn't sell those clunkers for $50/pair, and tried for at least a year or two. I finally gave them away just to get rid of them.

Good job.
    LSI 15
    LSI C
    LSI FX
    Velodyne SPL-10
    Integra 9.9
    Sunfire TGA-5200
    XA2-HDDVD
    Sony 550 Blu-Ray

Default Not worth the recone?

I have a pair of Sansui S-47's. My guess is that they are from the 80's since they are kind of styled that way. White woofers and the visers on the tweeter. What's up with that? They sound ok but the woofers need a refoam. Probably not worth the 25 bucks? I have no pics of them but found an image of another similar pair from the same era. Do you think they improved at all by this time or do they still use Boom box proportions?

Name:  Sansui speakers.jpg
Views: 3557
Size:  348.3 KB

The plastic "vanes" over the oh-so-generic cone tweeters are meant to evoke some of the fine JBL (and other) compression drivers that used horns equipped with such vanes to enhance dispersion. That's all they do, in the Sansui's case (i.e., they imitate precision loudspeaker design).

No, they're not really worth any effort, as you surmise.
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by Brusco View Post
    Probably not worth the 25 bucks?
    Try generic foam for less than $10 in the bay.
    Probably worth that much for place like garage for background music.

JBL L20t,L80t3, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,5A,7C, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690, Genesis 3+.
    SUB:Deftech PF15TL+, DCM TB1010, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-535,555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

Well... I guess it depends on how much one values one's time. I actually had a pair of dump-find Sansuis similar to that. Pitched the drivers quickly as they were truly awful and used the cabinets for some full-range driver experiments with the Radio Shack 40-1197 (Fostex FE-103) 4" drivers (and some plywood baffles to fill in the unused holes)...

Are you sure the surrounds are foam and not treated cloth? On the ones that passed through here, the woofer surrounds were not foam. Just sayin'...
    all the best,
    mrh

They are definitely foam and showing a lot of deterioration. My speakers have the white aged woofers. I think I will refoam them. $25 is worth it. Here they are.
    Name:  SansuiS47.jpg
Views: 2485
Size:  281.2 KB

Default Refoamed and glad I did

I bought a refoam kit from Simply Speakers and refoamed them. I hooked them up to a Pioneer SX-525 receiver and now I have decent sounding setup in my basement. I think they sound much better with the tweeter visors off. Easily worth the $25 and some extra work to refoam.

If you are happy with the sound, that's all it matters.
    Glad you saved a pair.

Thread Information