Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amazon Autorip

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Thumbs up Amazon Autorip

I've gotta say that this is one of the best deals out there right now. Buy a CD or Vinyl from Amazon and *poof* a 256kbps mp3 copy of it shows up in your cloud drive. No DRM, click a checkbox and it'll download the album with full tags and import to itunes. Don't want to download it? Leave it on the cloud drive, doesn't count against your quota and they've got player apps for iphone and android.

Bought an LP from Amazon in 2002? Sure, why not, it's there waiting for you.

Black Keys' Rubber Factory from iTunes? $8. On vinyl from Amazon? $11, plus a $1 credit for another purchase and I'm listening to it at work thirty seconds later. In a day or two I'll get the vinyl.

Perfect combo of getting the high quality copy for intense listening, but the instant gratification of downloading over the internet for car/workout/casual listening.

Hat tip to nspindel who posted this awhile back:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...inyl-purchases

Amazon isn't the best when it comes to shipping your vinyl like the delicate flower that it is, but their return policy guarantees that when you get a beaten up package, it's quick and easy to swap AND in the meantime you can still be listening to it. The only catch is that if you 1)download the mp3's to your local computer and 2)do an outright return (not exchange) of the hard copy, they will charge you for the mp3's.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

That's not a catch. Just makes sense.

Yup, found out about this not to long ago myself and posted a thread about it. Pretty cool feature and makes me MUCH more likely to keep purchasing CD's as I can then rip em to FLAC delete the crappy MP3's I was listening too, but I don't have any downtime between purchase and actual delivery.

This is assuming that CD is available for Auto Rip because its not a guarantee for every purchase. IIRC the CD cover will say "Auto Rip" on top of the image to let you know if that option is there.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by monepolk View Post
    That's not a catch. Just makes sense.
    Oh, I agree, but people will get their panties in a wad over anything (AMAZON FORCED ME TO BUY THE MP3s!!!!!!! CRAPY SERVICE!!111!!).

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

I like it for my phone but thats it.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

The talk here in Seattle is this is Amazon's way of trying to clear out CDs as they obviously don't have the current market that downloads do. A great deal no matter the reason!

Agreed it causes me to check them out first before I purchase elswhere.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

What's funny is that I wanted this service for YEARS and now that I have it I've literally not downloaded one single MP3 from Amazon. I just looked and have 432 albums sitting there and I've never downloaded a single song. I don't have anything against Amazon, and I think the service is great, it just came out a couple years too late for me. I haven't listened to a compressed music file in over two years.

It's a great idea and a great service though, I'd like to see the same thing with the flac files but that'll never happen.

What Amazon has on their hands is a way better option than iTunes though.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (9)

It's a great service, and agree that it's a damn good pairing of convenience and quality. We recently went backpacking; with the albums I'd downloaded to my phone playing through an iSonic we had the weekend covered for music. Good times.
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by unc2701 View Post
    Hat tip to nspindel who posted this awhile back:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...inyl-purchases
    You're welcome!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I buy almost all my CD's from Amazon but 256K MP3's are useless to me. But FLAC? That would be an awesome service.
    System
    ModWright SWL 9.0SE Signature Preamp | Aragon 8008 Mk II Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    Squeezebox Touch |Rega DAC
    | Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-717 Tuner (Joseph Chow Mods)

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    It's a great service, and agree that it's a damn good pairing of convenience and quality. We recently went backpacking; with the albums I'd downloaded to my phone playing through an iSonic we had the weekend covered for music. Good times.
    You must have a super battery in your phone.

I never use the Autorip, but I love when I look at a CD and Amazon tells me I purchased it in 2011, or some other time. I buy so any classical CDs from them I lose track.

Thread Information