Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan View Post
    I thought this thread was about comparing the (large) SDA/SRS speakers to speakers that can be purchased new for less than $3000. As a 2B owner, I'm quite happy to know that you would consider them worthy of comparison to $3000 speakers... even if they don't come out on top. That tells me that you consider the 2Bs pretty darn good speakers.
    :/ yeah, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    That is interesting. I also had a pair of SDA 2 (the ones with the cloth sides) and upgraded to PSB Synchrony One towers. While the PSBs were certainly better I just assumed it was because the SDAs were 20 years old. You got lucky finding a used pair of PSBs for $2500. Currently on Audio Advisor they are $2700 each.
    $2,500 was a LOT of coin for me back then. It still hurt but I knew I came out on top when I bought them. But then again the seller was a millionaire and just needed them out of the house while they were remodeling.

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Put in a remastered copy of "Friday Night In San Francisco" with Dimeola, McLaughlin and DeLucia and it proves my point about SDA's doing live and acoustic music very, very well. Or Clarke, Carlton, Cobham "Live at the Greek".

H9
    I agree that Friday Night In San Francisco sounds great on the 2b's and the CRS+'s and mine are still stock can't wait to hear that recording on a tl'ed pair awesome recording.

Let me see if i can put this in a better context. Now i have had SDA speakers for over 30 years.

That alone could be a major problem as i'm far to used to there sound. One thing i will tell you is SDA 1C's are very , very VERY room dependent. as to what you will get out of them. I've had them in different houses and different rooms. In some cases they just work ok, in others not so well. In the case of the 1C's room size counts, ALOT. The room, that there in right now, They sit against a 13' wall. There is NOTHING on either side of the speakers, only the rack sits between them. They fire into an almost 30' long room. They LOVE this room.

The major obstacle any other speaker has, being put up against the 1C's is pretty much the overall music presentation. The 1C's ( and i will state this is in MY room) the presentation is open, airy, to say it's wide would be an understatement, but there is something more. You feel it's more of a "live" presentation. The SDA "boxes" just disappear....the music just flows, in a natural way. Not sure how else to describe it.

The towers i tried were in the $1500 range. Could not come close at all. In some cases i did not like the way they were EQ'd... too much mid range for my taste. Now to throw 3K at speakers..MAYBE there is a fighting chance. But it would seem your still dealing with a tower design. Unless there is alot of smoke and mirror stuff going on, i just don't see it working. Bottom line AGAIN, is SDA's just do alot of things right. The 1C's will just dig deeper and hit harder then ANY stock tower, unless there is some kind of sub deal going on. What the 1C's may be lacking, is just made up for in the over all musical presentation..at least to me. So pretty much thats what any NEW 3K speaker is up against...LOL

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I agree they are room and set-up dependent if you want the absolute best performance. They do a really good job even if not set up quite properly. Many of the other brands are much more picky about placement and set up. Certainly the right size SDA and proper set-up is a top priority. But don't fool yourself, many of the other floor standers are as picky and many times more so.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

H9, i agree with you 100%. Now setting up the 1C's at this point is a no brainier for me..and is really not that hard in the first place. They sit 1 foot of the back wall, the rack goes between them, they sit 6-7 feet apart, MAX..a few feet off the side wall, and your good to go.

But the room itself can be the kicker. In a small size room, the 1C's just run out of air (sort of speak)

Now if you play them at low volumes...there passable. But of course i don't..LOL So in that case, i'm almost willing to say, buy a tower..works better in that size room. To be blunt the large SRS may work better..they will just overpower the room, just by shear height and number of drivers..not that the SDA "effect" would work to well..LOL

When i say room size...i really do mean it. If you give the 1c's the width and a long enough room to fire into. Then things change and they can just kick your butt. Now i also sit almost 14 feet back in this room. Now granted alot of people can't do this. BUT if you can, the 1C's are hard to beat, with almost any speaker. OR let me say, any speaker i have tried so far.

Let me put things this way. The new towers were up against 30 year old SDA's un modified, and with 1 bad driver. They lost.

Then the drivers i just bought, if they correct the 1 bad driver, and i throw $700 at them for new tweeters and cross-over upgrades and such..

Then even bothering to look at 3K speakers is a joke. To get something better then these would cost in the 6-10K range, and there not going to be towers...

Now this is just MY opinion on speakers..so don't go off on me...LOL

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Not true at all. How could you make such crazy assumptions and only heard one pair of speakers. Many have found SDA replacements in the 3k range. It just sounds like you're trying to convince yourself you have the best speakers available.

This is a Polk forum so of course people are going to put the Polks on a pedestal just like Emotiva and Klipsch etc. Go on a neutral site and see what people are using and ask the same question you asked here.
    Last edited by leroyjr1; 06-30-2013 at 01:50 PM.

No..your wrong..i have tried 3 sets of tower speakers against the 1C's..they just don't work.

I'm not in the habit of trashing other peoples speakers, so i tend to NOT say what they were.

What i think about speakers is not what other people think..so i really don't like to say bad things about them. If you want to push the deal..the Axiom largest tower they made at $1500 bucks does not come close, now i'm not saying there bad..but does not float my boat.

The biggest towers Polk has ever made, which would be the RTi 12's..don't cut it either. Sorry...just don't work.. The overall presentation of the sound stage and what you feel is just lacking in these speakers..period. One would think that the 3 7" drivers would give you bass out your butt..which in fact...they can can do bass. But the sad bottom line is they can't dig as deep as the 1C's and can't hit you as hard.

You can for sure say i'm wrong..and if you your dealing with large dollar speakers..may be true. but so far i don't by it.

Thread Information