Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Harmless Work Pranks?

My co-worker was a big prankster until he took it too far a few times and had to back way off. We still do harmless pranks, but nothing to the extent that we/he used to. One of my favorites out of sheer simplicity is seeing an unlocked and unmanned computer, changing the background picture, then completely covering it with any programs still open. Our most recent male hire came back to this as his new desktop:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-09-14-happy-pink-unicornA.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	86444

Are there any pranks you guys pull that could get a laugh and be acceptable in the workplace?
    Attached Images  
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Sure. Walk up to the Men's room when your boss is near and act as if you are reading Braille [and that you actually know how to read it] before you enter. Pull him aside and proceed to tell him/her that the sign is incorrect and that the Men's sign in braille actually says that it is the Woman's room. Then walk away.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Tape off the cube door and fill with foam peanuts.
    Drill a hole in a locked desk drawer, screw in a grease fitting and fill it up.
    Locktite the phone receiver to the phone.
    Pull a wheel off the chair.
    Relocate the page speakers in the ceiling over one cube.
    Make a small dribble hole in the bottom of their coffee cup.
    Grease up the phone handset in various places.
    Stick a big industrial magnet close to their hard drive: note this is really bad- only for hated co-workers.
    Note: running a magnet around the front of old CRT monitors really does some magic as well.
    Change that cubes network port to something odd. half duplex 10 mb fixed should really slow things down.
    Forward exec's phones to a co-workers number.
    When they go home early forward their phone to the exec's office.
    Pull the caps off their dry board markers. Be sure to recap after they are dry.
    Grease on the dry board eraser works well too.
    Loosen lights in and over their cube- a flicker will drive them crazy.
    Pick up small dead roaches and put in a pill bottle. Drop one in co-workers unattended coffee cup randomly.
    Buy out a bait shops supply of crickets. dump out in high wall office and close door.
    Warning: don't do this too close to where you sit unless you enjoy chirping.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Member Sales Rating: (1)

When they're at their computer, go select an icon on their desk top, hit ctrl+A to select all, then hit enter. It opens up all of their programs :)

Pop a couple of keys out of their keyboard and swap them.

Put some tape on the bottom of their laser mouse
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

Skip:

We used to do the same however we varied between cabbage patch kids and david hasslehoff's bare with two puppies (google for that one I cant post it here for fear of getting in trouble ).

Attachment 86454

The other "nice" thing we did were to to minimize all their programs and take a screenshot of their desktop (so it showed all their shortcuts and icons) and then we made that their background. Then once that was done we hid all their icons on their desktop so when they next went back to the desktop and tried to use a shortcut they would be endlessly clicking until they figured out the prank.

Then if we really had time (like they were on lunch) we would re-program their keyboard so when they hit say the A key the computer put O instead. Or we would physically remove the keys and move them to spell things out.....
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

We did the screen shot/hide icon thing...works great.

Another good one is changing their home page on their browsers. There was a good my little pony website that has music when its opened. I would do that one quite a bit. Dont forget to turn their speakers up.

-Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I always enjoy taping up the entrance to someone's cube or office, and switching out the keys on a keyboard ia always fun
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

When i was working inside sales at grainger i told one of the outside guys that a potential customer called and was interested in about 10k in conduit. He called and got a raunchy gay mens sex line.....great guy who thought it was pretty funny.
    "My wife likes my rig......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Marantz CD5001, [/COLOR]

I once worked in a building with multiple tenants, and one day I was leaving I noticed a car parked near mine was the victim of a prank. Somebody, or persons, completely covered the car with various color and size post-it's. It actually looked pretty good. I always wondered if the owner just cleaned the windows, or took them all off before leaving.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

You could also remap the keyboard keys, change the language, install a blue tooth remote mouse
    and help them a little. I knew a guy out on the factory floor who owed someone else some money.
    The guy hoisted his tool roll around up 20' in the air and tack welded it to a beam (fun with fork lifts).
    There's also the guy who got into the plant managers office and dumped on his desk. That didn't go over too well.
    The office/plant mix made for a lot of wacked out stuff. The list is almost endless. It's been 30 years, so I'll
    have to think back a bit.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Some of you know that I run a Restorative Services business. About 6-7 years ago, one of my employees who lived next door thought it would be funny to load the entire bed of my truck with Styrofoam peanuts. Unfortunately for him, I had to leave the next morning for an emergency. He was cleaning peanuts out of the bushes in his front lawn for the next two weeks. Never happened again for some reason.....

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

fold a ketchup packet in half then place it between the toilet seat and bowl with the ends pointed forward. When some one sits down on it will squirt a steam of ketchup on to the back of their pants.
    Last edited by jbooker82; 06-19-2013 at 02:52 AM.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

Member Sales Rating: (12)

When I was at SIA, our group lead go a promotion, so the guys elevated his entire desk on 8 foot tall poles and did the same to his chair, so he needed a ladder just to sit down! I also learned to never 'eff with a Cubs fan by reminding him of how bad they tend to suck.

At the last dealership I worked at, we used to fill 75 gallon trash cans with water and dump them on the lube techs (and whomever else deserved it) from two stories up.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Putting a rubber band on the sprayer on the sink in the break room is good for a few laughs. When someone turns on the water they get wet.
    --Gary--

Sorry to be a killjoy but, think about the consequenses before you do any of this stuff. Will you or someone else be fired or reprimanded or worse yet will someone get hurt.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.

Member Sales Rating: (18)

saranwrap on the ceramic portion of the toilet seats. Never attempted.
    We did swap keys out on keyboards
    HT- HK 335, Rotel 1075, Miova PC, AQ Indigo Speaker Cable, XLO Jumpers, AQ Diamondback ICs, AQ HDMI x2, AQ Component, Signal Cable Analog II ICs, Signal Cable Digcoax, Signal Cable Toslink, Rti8, Csi5, Rti6, Energy s10.2, Panny 42" Plasma, PS3, Harmony 1100 and Harmony PS3 Adapter, LG dvdp(for the kids), Monster 3600MKII all on a dedicated circuit.

When a co-worker went on vacation, they completely tin foiled his cube. I mean EVERYTHING was wrapped or covered in tin foil. Walls, chair, computer, phone, stapler...everything. Pretty funny.

A guy I used to work with made it a point to take my birthday weekend every year for his vacation, whether he had already taken one that year or not, leaving me stuck as I was about 6 months under in seniority. I took the next four days after I took the main breaker to his jib with me. His was an older model and it took about 3 weeks to get breakers. He was put to janitorial duty until the maintenance department could "schedule" him in, which I also set up by a slick $50 to the maintenance head. After his return to normal duty, 3 weeks later, I dropped the original breaker in his lunch box.
    Sda2.3 (Tweets, Spikes)
    Sda1C (Tweets, Sonicaps, Mills, Boards, Spikes, Rings, Dynamat)
    Rta11T (Tweets, Sonicaps, Mills, Spikes, Rings, Dynamat)
    5jr+ (Tweets, Spikes)
    CS350ls (Sonicap, Spikes)
    12" DXi x 2 (Dayton Plate. Slot ported Custom boxes)

Sunfire TGP3, Sunfire SIG 425x5, Oppo BDP-93, Belkin PF60, Sony PS3 Slim 320 gig, Technics SL-1360
    DH Labs Prostudio XLR-Toslink-Hdmi,Peps for the Oppo, amp, pre and subs)

Insane sauce applied around the rim of a Styrofoam cup and put it back in the stack. Someones getting a hot mouth with thier next cup of water or coffee.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Our remote control fart machine at work is always great fun with visitors....hehe

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Piccolo Pete wired to ignition system on someones car is always fun.

Smoke bomb set to go off when the refrigerator door is opened.

(I love fireworks)

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremymarcinko View Post
    Insane sauce applied around the rim of a Styrofoam cup and put it back in the stack.
    Works well on the toilet seat too.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (10)

(I teach HS chemistry) I've rolled a quart of liquid nitrogen under the doors to select co-workers classrooms--Gets quite the reaction!

Nothing like a huge shop (300) full of mostly men to think up strange and weird pranks. Several years ago we had this small guy that was really becoming a pest. Some guys had enough and about 5 of them held him onto a stand up 2 wheeled cart and proceeded to duct tape him (including his mouth) to the cart using 3 rolls of the stuff. Then, the cart was wheeled over to the shop superintendent's office and propped upright in front of the door. Then everyone left. It was pretty funny at the time as I recall.

Go up into the space above the dropped ceiling in the office. Locate the hvac duct going into your victims office. Also locate the "exhaust" fan coming from nearest men's room. Swap them.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Black ink/marker on the ear piece of a black phone.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by decal View Post
    Sorry to be a killjoy but, think about the consequenses before you do any of this stuff. Will you or someone else be fired or reprimanded or worse yet will someone get hurt.
    That's very good advice to be sure, but I've found that those thoughts can be overridden with the simple phrase, "Oh, man, this is gonna be good !" or "Hey ! Watch this !".
    It's my understanding that those are actual effective defenses in any legal proceeding, too.

I once went up to a 4th floor lab where they had a skeleton on one of those roll around metal hanger things. This was at 2 am in the morning. Rolled it over to the elevators, placed it barely inside the elevator (just enough to clear the sensors), and sent it down to the 1st Floor.
    Where security was located after hours.
    And as luck would have it, the security officer (they carry sidearms) on that evening had a reputation of being afraid of ghosts.
    So, as can be imagined, a good time was had by all. Or at least one of us. And even though a gun was drawn, no shots were fired (unlike the time another officer shot out a window playing quick draw).

Some friends got their boss by taping a can of that air horn thing you take to sports games under his chair so that when he sat in it, it pressed the top and went off. And they set up a camera in his office to capture his reaction. FREAKIN' HILARIOUS!

A great variation on the plastic wrap on the toilet is to get Knox clear gelatin, boil it, flush the toilet and turn the water off before it refills, then pour in the gelatin and let it harden. Once hardened, turn the water back on. It's absolutely the WORST to have to clean up, especially after someone drops deuce!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Also, if you work at a job that requires computers, THIS:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ae83/
    You plug it into a USB port in back of their computer... and it randomly moves the mouse... or types gibberish... or turns on Caps Lock... or all three things at random.

There's also the ThinkGeek Annoy-A-Tron. Stick it under their desk, in a ceiling panel, etc... and it occasionally emits a random beep.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8c52/

They also have one that plays random phone ringtones.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f3a5/

And one that does a random doorbell, crickets, beep or high frequency whine.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b278/

And a smaller one that plays creepy whispering, breathing, scratching, creaking and a child laughing:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/c427/

These are all pretty harmless... but will drive people nuts! You're welcome!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

I've been reading this thread off and on since the original post.

Sounds like good fun.

With that said, before applying any of the pranks suggested, a good question to ask is:

"How would I feel if I were the victim of this prank? Would I say, 'No harm, no foul?'"

Hmmmmm!

Thread Information