Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default Received my Audio Fidelity "Going For The One" hybrid SACD today......

So, I ordered directly from AF and got a numbered edition of #0311. More expensive than other sites 9with shipping) but I received what I ordered and received it quickly! Thanks AF!

I sat down and listened to the whole SACD layer through my recently modified Denon DVD-5910 player to output DSD directly to my DAC. I will first off state that I suggested to Steve Hoffman at the Hoffman Forum site that he "tame" the high end of this master as IMO, the high end is very over-exaggerated along with the middle and upper midrange being somewhat weak and de-emphisized. I assumed it was due to the recording itself. Steve did not take my suggestion and it sounds to me that it was matered without manipulating the EQ at all. In "normal" circumstances I would say "bravo", but in the case of this master, the high end is way too exaggerated and the midrange is still too weak. On a positive note, the low end on this master seems to be extended more than other masterings I've heard. I have a picture below of the different CD masterings I own. That is: 1) The original West German (non-remastered) CD 2) The original remastering done in Japan in 1992 3) The second remastering in Japan or "Mini-LP" version 4) The Rhino remaster done in the USA in 2004 5) and finally this AF hybrid SACD

The AF SACD is definately the best mastering of them all with the soundstage width and depth standing out as the best in the mastering. Unfortuanately, the (as stated before) the high end is too exaggerated and midrange is lacking in this mastering (as a result of the recording itself). This was recorded in Montreaux, Switzerland at "Mountain Air" studios. That's kind of the way the master sounds; kind of airy and exaggerated in the high end. The best sounding song overall is "Awaken" (which arguably is the best song on the album). I did notice the dynamics are better on this mastering compared to other masterings.

I still wouldlike to compare a direct CD to CD comparison on my Theta Jade to get a true mastering comparison. I will do that in the next few days. Overall, this CD/SACD is mastered well, but the recoding itself is somewhat poor for the reasons I stated above. It doesn't sound as good as "Close To The Edge", but it is the best sounding mastering (at least the SACD layer) of the bunch shown in the picture. I'll report back after I do a direct CD to CD comparison.

Name:  YES- GFTO 265.JPG
Views: 838
Size:  231.8 KB
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (0)

At least ya got a numbered one this time. I'm passing on this one as the album didn't do much for me. I guess you like it alot ( 5 copy's )

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Do you like the album?
    I am curious because, in my waning years of Yes-fanhood, I bought a copy new (when they were provided on a polyvinylchloride-based, 30 cm diameter analog storage medium) and I don't think I've had an urge to listen to it since about 1982.

EDIT - it was, from my perspective, something of a "back to form" album after the narcissistic wanderings of "Tales" and "Relayer"... but it was no "Fragile", much less "The Yes Album".

I am genuinely curious (i.e., not just trolling!) as to whether you folks feel that it's worth the all-stops-out re-release effort in terms of content (original master tapes' quality notwithstanding)?
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 06-19-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I too was not a big fan of the album until I heard it on Lasareath's 1.2 TLs. I've since bought a copy that will probably never make it into regular rotation, but it is a great choice for demonstrating SDA speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by chumlie View Post
    At least ya got a numbered one this time. I'm passing on this one as the album didn't do much for me. I guess you like it alot ( 5 copy's )
    I like it a lot. Just wish it sounded better.

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    Do you like the album?
    I am curious because, in my waning years of Yes-fanhood, I bought a copy new (when they were provided on a polyvinylchloride-based, 30 cm diameter analog storage medium) and I don't think I've had an urge to listen to it since about 1982.

EDIT - it was, from my perspective, something of a "back to form" album after the narcissistic wanderings of "Tales" and "Relayer"... but it was no "Fragile", much less "The Yes Album".

I am genuinely curious (i.e., not just trolling!) as to whether you folks feel that it's worth the all-stops-out re-release effort in terms of content (original master tapes' quality notwithstanding)?
    Firstly, I was never in the camp that agreed with statements about "Tales From Topographic Oceans" being narcissistic, self absorbed or self indulgent. In fact Tales is my favorite album!

As far as GFTO, I think it's a great album! I like it more than "Relayer" overall, but I do like "Relayer". IMO, it get's better and better as it goes along. I just wish it sounded better (as stated above) with the high end not being so harsh, or the midrange lacking. From a content point of view, I believe it's worth the remastering effort without a doubt. ALthough I definately think "Tales" does too. In fact, from a sound quality point of view AND content, I think "Tales" deserves an "all the stops" mastering effort more than GFTO.

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Agree & disagree about " Tales from Topographic Oceans ". I think it's both self absorbed & indulgent which is why i think it's one of their best IMO. Wish AF would have chose that one for SACD. Sorry about the SQ on your purchase.

Perhaps it will sound better after listening to it a while. Seems 200 hours is the standard break-in period. Either that or your ears will be bleeding... which should dampen the highs some. :)
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade)
    Parasound: C/PT-600, HCA-800II; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RM7, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DRA-825R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz PM5004, CD5004

I know many folks like Tales; I don't. De gustibus non est disputandum and all that.
    I prefer pre-Wakeman Yes... although Fragile is good and (side-length 'song' and all) Close to the Edge is quite good - all IMO of course.
    all the best,
    mrh

I'll have to drag my copy on licorice pizza out next time I am in NH and give a spin. I remember it as sounding OK - but that would've been on a Grado F-1+/Philips AF-877 -> Yamaha CA-610II -> Polk Audio Monitor Series Model 7As. I can do a little better for analog playback now (three-plus decades later)...
    all the best,
    mrh

Agree & disagree about " Tales from Topographic Oceans ". I think it's both self absorbed & indulgent which is why i think it's one of their best IMO. Wish AF would have chose that one for SACD. Sorry about the SQ on your purchase.
    LOL! First time I've heard that point of view chumlie! Usually if people find Tales self indulgent they hate it! I suggested to AF that they do Tales next with Hoffman at the mastering console, we'll see......

I do want to emphasize that it's not AF or Steve Hoffman's fault that the SACD doesn't sound goo. It's the recording. It's definately not the worst recording out there, but out of YES's albums it's one of the worst. I think it's been said many times, "you can't polish a turd". GFTO is YESs' "turd". Compared to The YES Album, Fragile, CTTE, and Tales it absolutely sucks. Relayer doesn't sound to great either, but a little better than GFTO.

I'll have to drag my copy on licorice pizza out next time I am in NH and give a spin. I remember it as sounding OK - but that would've been on a Grado F-1+/Philips AF-877 -> Yamaha CA-610II -> Polk Audio Monitor Series Model 7As. I can do a little better for analog playback now (three-plus decades later)...
    I haven't heard the vinyl copy of GFTO in a long long time. A friend of mine has the vinyl and maybe I'll head to his house and have him play it for a comparison. Let us know what you think after you give it a listen.

Heh - well, I was indeed up in NH for some of the weekend... I went upstairs this morning to spin a track or two of Going for the One... and I couldn't find the danged album! :-P The good news: I am pretty sure I know where it is (box in the basement); the bad news: I didn't have bandwidth to dig it out.

... so I spun And You and I instead :-) It sounded great on the Altecs (source was a b&o TX-2 with an MMC-4 cartridge via a JLTI phono preamp).

EDIT: FWIW, I believe that Allen Wright had a hand in the design of the JLTI preamp:
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue28/jlti_phono.htm The one I have must be the "Mark I" version :-)
    Last edited by mhardy6647; 06-23-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Speaking of Going for the One...
    my son (a doctoral student at UVA) sent me this link:
    http://www.thenteloswirelesspavilion.com/yes

Due to overwhelming demand, the iconic and Grammy-winning rock band YES have added two new legs of dates to their triple-header concert tour where they're performing three of their classic albums in their entirety, all in one concert: 1971's THE YES ALBUM, 1972's CLOSE TO THE EDGE, and 1977's GOING FOR THE ONE (track listing for all three albums listed below). The in-progress tour marks the first time since 1973 that YES--bassist CHRIS SQUIRE, guitarist STEVE HOWE, drummer ALAN WHITE, keyboardist GEOFF DOWNES and singer JON DAVISON--have performed an album onstage in its entirety.
    I guess everyone on the planet but me knew this :-P

Without Jon Anderson and Wakeman (or Tony Kaye), is this band better called "Maybe" or "Sort of"?
    all the best,
    mrh

I have a friend who's a YES freak, and he calls the current band the "Fraudulent Yes," because in his mind the band without Jon Anderson is not YES.

In my mind they stopped being yes once Bill Bruford left. Allan White is good, but Bruford had such a distinctive jazz/funk style. The opening of "Heart of The Sunrise" is still one of my favorite drum parts. White's is too straightforward, kind of military marching like.

Though I remember liking Tales (haven't heard it in years!), my favorites were their first 5 albums: "Yes", "Time and A Word", "The Yes Album", "Fragile", and "Close to The Edge". The early stuff has some really cool jazz influences, especially with Tony Kaye on keyboards.

Anyway, JMO
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Bruford was (still is, AFAIK) an excellent, jazzy drummer indeed.
    I liked Tony Kaye, too - much more businesslike than Mr. Wakeman's histrionics IMO :-)

The Yes Album is by far my favorite of theirs - but I've gotta admit that I really do like Close to the Edge (Bruford & Wakeman on board)... although, really, only one song at a time. The title track is right at the borderline of Yes's self-indulgent, Rococo period (IMO, of course). And You and I is just a fine and beautifully constructed song - goofy lyrics notwithstanding. It's a good sounding album, too... I've always liked the "pre-take chatter" and tune-up at the beginning of the song... dang, does it sound dandy from licorice pizza via the Duplexes, too!
    all the best,
    mrh

Bruford was (still is, AFAIK) an excellent, jazzy drummer indeed.
    Sadly Bruford retired from music performance in 2009. I read somewhere where he was described as a Max Roach of rock music. I like that description.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Quote Originally Posted by dromunds View Post
    I have a friend who's a YES freak, and he calls the current band the "Fraudulent Yes," because in his mind the band without Jon Anderson is not YES.
    He's correct

Member Sales Rating: (3)

He's correct
    You speak the truth Tonto. Just not the same without Jon Anderson. 8-(

"Fly From Here" did take a few listenings to get over that Jon Anderson was not included. Once getting over that, it really is a pretty good album, different than with Jon Anderson but still good.

In some ways it is like "Drama" where without the influence of Jon Anderson, they were free to express in new ways.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade)
    Parasound: C/PT-600, HCA-800II; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RM7, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DRA-825R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz PM5004, CD5004

Quote Originally Posted by skrol View Post
    "Fly From Here" did take a few listenings to get over that Jon Anderson was not included. Once getting over that, it really is a pretty good album, different than with Jon Anderson but still good.

In some ways it is like "Drama" where without the influence of Jon Anderson, they were free to express in new ways.
    It is intersting on "Fly From Here" that Benoit David sounds sometimes like Trevor Horn and sometimes like Jon Anderson. Also, I don't know if you knew, but the song "Fly From here" is a Drama outtake (the (at the time) current lineup expanded it a little to make the 20 minute song it is, however).

I love Going for the One! I have the album (vinyl) and think it sounds pretty good. My brain tells me that earlier Yes is certainly better but when I listen to this album especially GFTO and Wonderous Stories I just love it!!

Sound did silence me
    Leaving no trace.
    I beg to leave, to hear your wonderous stories.
    Beg to hear your wonderous stories.
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything

Seen this one yet Greg. SACD box set.
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=WPCR-14663

Seen this one yet Greg. SACD box set.
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=WPCR-14663
    Yeah, I received an e-mail about it. I posted the link in your 'boxed sets" thread. LOL! Sounds like you need to check that thread again. There is debate about whether the entire box set is SACD or only the "bonus disc" is. It seems like the whole thing is to me, but am not 100%. I am buying it if the whole thing is SACD! Might wait for some reviews first though as I don't want to buy some horribly mastered SACD's.

Thread Information