Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sub Wiring

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Sub Wiring

I have two dual 4-ohm subs in separate boxes. Do I want to wire them in parallel or series to get the lowest impedence, and how would I do the wiring since they are in separate boxes. Thanks

Jim

I have no idea

Polk Customer Service

Default Low Loads!!!!!!

If you are trying to achieve a one Ohm mono load, then wire all of the voice coils in parallel and connect all four Positive, and Negative wires to the terminals on the amplifier. But before you do make sure that the amplifier is capable of driving such a low
    load. If the amp is not capable of such a low load then use a series/parallel wiring configuration of wiring. Simply wire each pair of subs in series to achive a 8 Ohm load, then parallel both sets of wires to the amp. The net load presented to the amp will be 4
    Ohms. This will probably sound much better than the 1 Ohm load, plus it will keep the "Damping Factor" high and will have better control of the cone of the woofer. Plus it won't stress the output stage of the amplifier and it will run much cooler. If you need some assistance give us a call at 800-377-7655 between the hours of 9 AM to 6 PM Eastern time and we will be glad to help.

Thanks,
    Kim, Polk Audio

rick

For the lowest impedance you need to wire these in parallel. ( Connect the plus (+) terminal of each cabinet together and each negative (-) together.) Then to your amplifier or head unit. This will result in a nominal impedance of 2 ohms. Make sure your amplifier or headunit is capable of driving a 2 ohm load. (most if not all are).

The amp is the MTX 81000D, I am sure it can handle a two ohm load. Thanks for all the help.

Thread Information