Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default New Pass pre-amp

After upgrading the power and interconnect cables in both my two channel and HT, I planned to take it easy for a while and recuperate the spent retirement savings. However, I knew that once I started upgrading my hardware I was going to start first with the pre-amp. Tuesday, I had the opportunity to buy my first piece of "used" gear, which is a 2 week old 'demo' Pass Labs XP-20 for $2K off list. Plus, I got to split the payment over two months with no surcharge. Well, that's all it took to reel me in, so I bought it, and it arrived today.

Time to hook it up, and let it start warming up so I can give it a good listen Friday, and over the weekend.

This has got to be my last purchase this year. Otherwise I need an intervention

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass_front1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	520.7 KB
ID:	86730Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass_back1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	509.8 KB
ID:	86732
    Last edited by BlueFox; 06-27-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    famous last words....

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I have been lusting after one of these for some time now, thanks to DK, and now you. For now, I must live vicariously through your reviews.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

BlueFox, Congratulations! That is a beauty. I cannot wait to hear your review on how it sounds.
    I am sure it is amazing!

Dont make it your last big purchase because I have some wireworld platinum RCA's FS

Wow! That is beautiful! I hope it brings you many hours of aural bliss, but that is a lot to pay for a little "aural"!

Member Sales Rating: (6)

You have been kicking it up SEVERAL notches lately, I'm jealous!

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    You have been kicking it up SEVERAL notches lately, I'm jealous!
    I agree, there has been alot of high quality products being snapped up by this gent lately

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Nice buy BF! Haven't heard a Pass pre before, only a couple of his amps. Let us know what you think after listening. Congratulations!
    Last edited by headrott; 06-27-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Thanks guys. I am putting together my retirement, and final, system. Once I retire I will be eating cat food, so I need to get everything now.

I have it up and running now, and the parts I use (inputs 1/2) work, so now it is time to let El Passo become friends with the other gear, and gorge on clean power. As it becomes acclimated, it should really start improving. Heck, it sounds pretty good out of the box, even with all the neighborhood background noise. Next week is a 4 day weekend, so that is when I will really start evaluating it late at night. The dealer gave me 30 days to make a decision, which was nice.

PFB, I can't buy your Wire World cables. I just added balanced Shunyata Ztron Anacondas to the two channel about 3 weeks ago. Sorry.

I would like to hear a pair of those Shunyata Ztron Anacondas and they are super expensive just looked up the price on music direct. Its a world class system you have there and I bet your grinning ear to ear when the tunes are blasting

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Congrats on the fantastic looking piece of equipment!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Congrats! Always nice to see someone diving down the rabbit hole head first.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I have no doubt it will end up sounding as good as it looks, just like their amps. Congrats on the purchase, it definitely has the potential to be a roadblock for any future upgrades in the pre department.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I just realized this is the first piece of gear I have owned that has a fuse which can be changed without opening the gear. Now I can finally try an audiophile fuse.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Congrats! That dealer's MO seems familiar. I recall being seduced in a similar fashion.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Great looking pre - congrats! Looking forward to your review. Re: after market fuse, I suggest you thoroughly burn it in before trying one so you can discern the difference in SQ. When I swapped one into my linestage, I was shocked () at the improvement that something so seemingly insignificant makes.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

Quote Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post
    Congrats! That dealer's MO seems familiar. I recall being seduced in a similar fashion.
    Hmmmmmm. That wiley wabbit.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

The Pass stuff being talked about on this forum seems quite high-end and looks awesome. Just to give myself a point of reference, if the Pass Labs gear would be considered an A+ on a grading scale of SS gear, would grade would Parasound Halo gear be considered in comparison? Just curious...

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I would say the Halo gear is comparable, but obviously I'm biased

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Very nice addition to your system. I'm sure that itch won't need to be scratched for some time soon. Congrats & enjoy. Nelson's gear is always top notch.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Don't count on anybody here for help with this kind of intervention. We would show up at your house with beer, cd's and lots of equipment to demo with your new preamp at the helm

Quote Originally Posted by Ern Dog View Post
    Don't count on anybody here for help with this kind of intervention. We would show up at your house with beer, cd's and lots of equipment to demo with your new preamp at the helm
    Actually, I blame this place.

If it hadn't been for this place I probably would never have tried better cables. That is what really set me off on trying to get every nuance of music out of a recording.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by kevhed72 View Post
    The Pass stuff being talked about on this forum seems quite high-end and looks awesome. Just to give myself a point of reference, if the Pass Labs gear would be considered an A+ on a grading scale of SS gear, would grade would Parasound Halo gear be considered in comparison? Just curious...
    It's a notch or two above Halo. Not that it's not great gear. The Pass stuff is special
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I would say the Halo gear is comparable, but obviously I'm biased
    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    It's a notch or two above Halo. Not that it's not great gear. The Pass stuff is special

Obviously, you're biased too though, right Brock?*

*Disclaimer: Pass Labs stuff is very fine gear. Parasound is good as well, but Pass, IMO and unbiased is the Pass gear is better.

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Sorry, but it's not bias. Halo gear is excellent, never said it wasn't. The Pass gear is a cut above. Ask DK about this Pass amps vs. his beloved JC1's. Took his system to the next level. Different strokes for different folks. Would I be happy with either one? Absolutely. If I had my choice, it would be the Pass gear w/o even thinking about it.

Not trying the start an argument or take this thread off track. So that is the last you will hear from me about it Someone asked so I commented.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

The Halo JC pre-amp was on my list. I spent probably over a year casually researching pres, along with 5 figure tube pre-amps. The Pass replaced my Cambridge-Audio 840E, and at first I was waiting for Cambridge to come out with their next generation. However, while they were telling me the beginning of 2013, and after that passed, in a few months, I got tired of waiting. It seemed they were either having technical issues, or decided to abandon that market. Which is to bad, because the 840E is a fine piece of gear for what it cost ($1500 new).

Anyway, there was no way I could rationalize a 5 figure pre-amp, and decided $5K was my range. I was down to the Halo, the Ayre K5xeMP, the Classe CP-800, the Bryston BP-26, which is a two unit piece, and the Pass XP-10. I did a lot of online research on this, and there wasn't anything negative about none of them. Since this most likely will be the last pre-amp I purchase, I wanted it to be good. I contacted Pass to find a local dealer, and they said there are none in Nor Cal, so I should check with a dealer in Nevada. They must have BCCed him, since I soon received an email from him. I explained I was just in the info gathering stage at this point, and I am looking for a pre with two balanced inputs, and balanced outputs to step up a notch in my system. While the XP-10 was my target, I asked what the XP-20 was going for. When he said he could give me a demo unit for $2100 off, full warranty, no sales tax, and two payments I said let's do it. It is a bit more than what I wanted to pay, but what I have found indicates the two chassis XP-20 is really better than the XP-10, and by extension, better than the other gear.

Anyway, so far I am loving it as it burns in. At first, it didn't seem any better than my Cambridge pre, but after about 5 hours it started to settle in, and I was starting to hear detail and bass that wasn't apparent before. Whether the Pass is better than the other gear I don't know, but it is working for me, and that is the bottom line.

One final point is that the Pass was able to move into an environment where the foundation is in place. Between the new rack, the power upgrade, and the power and interconnect cable upgrades of the last year, there is no reason for it not to perform at its maximum right from the start.
    Last edited by BlueFox; 06-30-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Sorry, but it's not bias. Halo gear is excellent, never said it wasn't. The Pass gear is a cut above. Ask DK about this Pass amps vs. his beloved JC1's. Took his system to the next level. Different strokes for different folks. Would I be happy with either one? Absolutely. If I had my choice, it would be the Pass gear w/o even thinking about it.

Not trying the start an argument or take this thread off track. So that is the last you will hear from me about it Someone asked so I commented.

H9
    No big whoop Brock. I was kidding (a little). Like I said, from the Pass Labs gear and the Parasound gear I've heard, I would also take Pass gear instantly.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by kevhed72 View Post
    Just to give myself a point of reference, if the Pass Labs gear would be considered an A+ on a grading scale of SS gear, would grade would Parasound Halo gear be considered in comparison? Just curious...
    It's a different class altogether. It took a while, years, for my listening skills to evolve to the point where I could appreciate a much higher level of gear.

Ask DK about this Pass amps vs. his beloved JC1's. Took his system to the next level.
    Yes, and that is why I am up past 4am listening to music.

Anyway, there was no way I could rationalize a 5 figure pre-amp, and decided $5K was my range.
    Why be rational?

Since this most likely will be the last pre-amp I purchase,....

Sure. Whatever you say.

I thought the Pass X-1 would be my last preamp. Then I went to the Pass X0.2....and you see where I ended up. Better gear can make your ears greedy.

Anyway, so far I am loving it as it burns in.
    Don't turn it off (unplug it)...ever. I'm interested in reading your impressions after a month of burn in.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post
    Don't turn it off (unplug it)...ever. I'm interested in reading your impressions after a month of burn in.
    Easier said than done. After I get used to it in a few months, I want to upgrade the fuse. I have never done a fuse upgrade, and want to hear what happens. Now that I have a piece of gear with no power switch, and the manufacturer says it sounds better after being on a week or so, I probably will be hit by power outages every week.

Thread Information