Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default A1 or FXia4/6 for Sides

Hey guys, I've been all over the forums doing research for the past week for a side/surround speaker pair.

Right now I am running a7's as my front l/r and will be getting an a6 for a center soon. Also I have a pretty nice definitive tech sub. All of this is running off a pioneer elite vsx70.

My room is small, about 11' by 15'. The couch is right against the back wall and I have end tables on both sides that will be used for the speakers. So whatever speaker i put there will be right in line with the couch, on the back wall, and only about 4-5 feet away from my ears.

So, I was just about to buy a1's yesterday but came across the fxia4 and a6 and now have no idea what to pick.

I listen to music (usually with lots of bass) and watch movies 50/50.

What do you guys think i should do?

Thanks!!!

Seeing as you have a small room, I would probably suggest the FXI A4. Many would argue that the A6's would be a better match, but I think it would be a little much for your room size. I would set them a little low, about 4 1/2 feet, and pretty close to each end of the couch. I believe this would be a better potion than the A1's setting on end tables.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Dredged from the past and from another forum:
    If your room is smallish and/or acoustically dead and/or you have multiple seats, dipoles tend to work better, with an even but compromised listening window.

If you have a larger and/or more live room with less seating, or seating away from the surround speakers, direct-radiating surrounds can be better.

If you are a sad, lonely, pathetic little man who sits in his solitary, cushy theater chair, five identical direct-radiating speakers, equidistant from your ears, can provide an absolutely holographic movie experience, allowing you to momentarily forget that you are lonely and unliked, with no friends.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

thanks for the responses!

hmmm. well I kind need to keep things on the end tables (live in a condo and can't mount to walls) so the speakers will probably be about 2 feet off the ground. Would you still recommend the a4's even if i can't get them 4 1/2 feet off the ground?

Just out of curiosity. I have never used dipoles before for surround. The woofer on the speakers will point away or towards each other.
    AVR-Onkyo709
    AMP- Parasound 2125, Adcom 585
    Mains for HT and some Music- RTi12s
    Main for Music only- Linn Keilidh or Usher V-601 and SDA 1C
    PreAmp for Music: Cary AE-3
    Rear- RTi8s
    Center-CSi5
    Sub-JBL L8400P 12"
    Player- Oppo BDP-103
    TT: Looking for a new one.
    Phono Pre-Amp: BBE FJB-200X

Bedroom rig:
    Pionner Elite VSX-30
    Onkyo CS-5VL SACD Player
    Polk Audio LS70
    Hunting for a sub...

Quote Originally Posted by abb0008 View Post
    thanks for the responses!

hmmm. well I kind need to keep things on the end tables (live in a condo and can't mount to walls) so the speakers will probably be about 2 feet off the ground. Would you still recommend the a4's even if i can't get them 4 1/2 feet off the ground?
    abb, welcome to the forum. I'd recommend A4's all day. The double tweeter IMO will provide the best 360 degree sound field a surround can make, you will be amazed!!!!!!

Don't worry about wall hanging when you can either place them on end tables or as I have done, fastened my own speaker stands. It's incredible what a guy can do with a saw, wood, stain and wood screws and a drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Irrenhaus View Post
    Just out of curiosity. I have never used dipoles before for surround. The woofer on the speakers will point away or towards each other.
    The woofers are angled toward the front, or center channel depending on placement.
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

okay im convinced!!! im going with the a4s.

One more thing, and I know there are sooo many threads about this questions but given my small room and that i'll only be about 7 ft from the tv/center channel...should i get the a4 or the a6, the budget isnt a problem, but the size of the a4 is a pretty big pro (over the a6)...but if the sound of the a6 is going to be much better, I can find a way to make it work

Good plan here, RTiA7's, CSiA6 and FXiA4's. You should be good to go even if you move to a larger space.
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

Thread Information