Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4ohm stable AVR

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default 4ohm stable AVR

Polks,

I currently running a full LSi 5.1 setup powered with a Adcom GFR-700 AVR for my center and surrounds. The two front towers are powered by an Adcom 5802.
    I'm looking for a newer AVR that is 4ohm stable to power those 3 speakers properly. Someone recommended me to look at the Cambridge Azur 650 AVR. I was hoping someone had experience with this AVR or their line of equipment.

Thanks.

I would say look at Pioneer SC series of receivers. The ice powered avr's do better with 4 ohm speakers. Aside from that, maybe a better solution is looking into a 5 channel amp. No receiver will completely do power hungry 4 ohm speakers justice. Just sayin'.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I'd also consider Rotel, Nad, Anthem, Arcam or the SC series Pioneer. It depends on your budget and features you want.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

I'll second the recommendations on the Rotels and Arcams as I don't have experience with Nad or Anthem. Are you just looking to consolidate? My local dealer (who is a trusted friend) sells the heck out of Arcam AVR360s to customers that don't want separates on their racks.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

If I were looking for a new AVR that is 4-ohm stable, and delivers its continuous rated power into ALL channels driven simultaneously, I would seriously consider the Cambridge Azur 650R. Home Theater Magazine bench test results for the 650R shows this AVR to meet its published output into all channels as specified.
    Last edited by Glen B; 07-04-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Anthems a great avr and it has stunning results with its room correction system but it wont power the LSI unless you add an amp but its well worth a listen

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Cambridge did some updates recently and now have 651R and 751R models out. Cambridge has always tended to lag behind other brands and have quirky DSP features, but their sound quality is excellent. Because Cambridge is using class AB amps and a relatively small power supply, they do not rate them at 4 ohm stable. The back of the 751R only specifies 8 ohm stable. Doesn't mean they can't work with the LSi's, but the manufacturer doesn't stand behind that type of usage in their user manual. Personally, I think the Pioneer SC series is a good match of LSi speakers and all of them, even the cheapest SC-71, is guaranteed 4 ohm stable because of their D3 amp design.

Thread Information