Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default How critical is a power conditioner?

I have all my speakers and a/v hooked up to just a power strip? Do I need power conditioner???

Depends. A power conditioner can provide protection for your gear. Others can really clean up the power and improve both the sound and the picture quality. Of course, if better sound and picture are your goal then good power cords are also necessary. This is just my two cents based on what I have heard and observed after adding a Shunyata Hydra AV conditioner, dedicated 20 amp line, Shunyata Ztron Python power cord to the AV, a Shunyata Venom to the Oppo, a Shunyata Ztron Cobra to both the pre and to the amp, a Shunyata 2 port Talos power conditioner for the TV, a Shunyata Venom HC power cord to the Talos, and a Shunyata Ztron Cobra to the TV. Needless to say, I am in the camp that these things make a positive difference.
    Last edited by BlueFox; 07-04-2013 at 05:48 PM.

I swear Bluefox you must have a lot of Shunyata stock, lol
    To the OP I believe you should have one just for the protection of your gear..if for any other reason..

I wouldn't say you "need" one, a good power strip is all you need for protection. But a conditioner can improve audio and video quality in some cases. It certainly helped my plasma tv I didn't notice much improvement if any in sound quality but every case is different. Some would argue that they can make your sound worse by putting more junk in the way that the power has to pass thru. Thinking the gear is designed to be plugged right in the wall and any extra circuitry does more harm than good. I would say try one if its not worth the cost/improvement send it back. Thats how I approached it but ended up keeping it for the power protection and improved pq.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny mc View Post
    I have all my speakers and a/v hooked up to just a power strip? Do I need power conditioner???
    Check out Brickwall surge protectors. They can take absorb repeated surges without failure, unlike a cheap power strip, and clean up AC line borne noise like a lot of the popular line conditioners do.

http://www.brickwall.com/collections...e-theater-hdtv
    Last edited by Glen B; 07-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz Reference Series SA-11S2 | Classé CP-50, modified | Classé CA-300, modified | Classé DR-10, modified | Classé RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner with surge/spike suppression | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech AC power connectors and receptacles | Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses | Dedicated 20A IG AC line

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    I swear Bluefox you must have a lot of Shunyata stock
    They are a private company. I just have been very impressed with their products. Other than 5 MIT Shotgun S1.3 ICs between the pre and the amp in my HT, every other cable in both my two channel and HT are Shunyata. Other than maybe an upgrade here and there, and that is unlikely, I can't imagine any more cable purchases in the future.

Remember that 'power conditioner' is an undefined term. It could mean almost any combination of the following.

a] Noise filter - a low-pass EMI/RFI filter.
    b] Surge protector - although it's better to have surge protection at the home's service entrance.
    c] UPS - note that many UPS's are not really UPS's!
    d] Line voltage adjustor.
    e] Balanced power transformer.
    f] Isolated power transformer.
    g] DC blockers.
    h] I forget? But I think that there are more.

Yes, you should have one.

http://www.amazon.com/Panamax-M4300-...s=panamax+4300

Panamax 4300 ^

Keeps the power consistant and helps when your AC units or other large utility units kick on. Will also help make your amps whisper quiet.
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Rotel RC-1550
    Rotel RB-1070
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

I use 2 of these Power Pack II's.. They were highly recommended by the great Corey Greenberg back in the day..
    Contact them for a dealer near you..

http://www.audiopower.com/newsite/pp2.html

I agree with the feedback here. The power conditioner will help to certain extent in protecting the gears as well. I did not have one in my HT system. When I hooked up the amp, speakers and the avr together with cable box in the loop as well, there was a bad humming noise I saw coming out. This was due to having the cable box. I then routed the cable box via belkin PF60 and the humming was gone. Also at the same time, I connected all my gears to the belkin PF60 unit. It does great job.

Now, I noticed the hum due to a powerful amp in line. without the amp in connection, I did not see the humming noise (so that is called amplification right!!). I am quite satisfied with the performance of belkin PF60. I would recommend one for anyone who spends fair amount of money in getting such equipment.

Thanks!!!!

anyone have experience or input on the monster hts-1000 as a line conditioner? thanks.
    "The symbol is not the reality"

Thread Information