Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Use solid core doors and two dead bolt locks.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose68Bash View Post
    In 1989 my then three-years old daughter loved "to play" with the tone arm on my TT as I listened. Eventually, of course, it became apparent that the TT with LPs was not going to survive. So, I switched to CDs, which were, of course, the coming thing at that time. I've never gone back to vinyl. I'm probably missing a lot, but I've gained a lot more.

I enjoyed my daughter as she grew up before my very eyes. A second daughter followed in 1992. They both loved to listen to my music with me. The sound of my elder one saying "Ravi, Ravi" when I walked toward the CD player still rings in my ears! Translation: "Ravi" was her word for "Pavarotti," whose voice she loved. She is now an accomplished -- albeit amateur -- violinist and loves music. She is getting married on 21 December this year. The years fly by.

My younger one liked The Eagles, especially "Get Over It," which she required me to put on in the car at full volume every morning as I drove her to pre-school on my way to work. She is now a pianist, singer, and dancer, who loves music of all sorts. She graduates from Johns Hopkins in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering next spring. My, how time flies!

The moral of my story is that you have an all too short time to love and enjoy your children. They will grow up and leave you alone with your music in the blink of an eye.

It doesn't matter how you do it, but figure out how to imbue them with your appreciation of great music, and you and they will have it forever. Love them. Love music. And figure out how to do it together with them.

You only get one shot at it!
    Well said Moose! Making adaptations to you life and family situation in the best interests of your family is good advice. Life is short and you only get one chance to raise your children.

Congrats to your daughter! My BS is in Chemical Engineering. One of the most flattering things wa that my daughter wanted to be like her dad. She too got a degree in Chemical Engineering.
    Carl

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Carl,

Thank you, and congratulations to you, too!

Phil

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I make my grand children wear a shock collar, it works great!

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    I make my grand children wear a shock collar, it works great!
    I like it!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    My grand children are the shot callers!
    Is this what you meant
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Squeezebox Duet; Oppo BDP-83
    Amps: PS Audio GCPH; PS Audio DLIII(Cullen mods IV); Parasound Halo P3; B & K Reference 200.2
    Speakers: Polk - LSi15's(db sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave (In Progress)
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

I have a two year old whose curiosity knows no bounds. My gear is well worn though. I just make sure that she doesn't turn the volume up too high.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Don't sweat it. those aren't scratches, they're character marks. Don't be a "somebody scratched my cd player" wussy, k?

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Member Sales Rating: (4)

There's always a headphone rig. Compact and easy to put up.
    I had to go that route for years.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Get your priorities right. What kind of a Polkie/Audio guy are you?????

Get rid of the wife and kids and set yourself up a nice audio room.

I can't believe you guys didn't give this advice earlier.

As someone with a little one on the way and a set of grill-less speakers, I'm absolutely loving some of the posts in this thread. Great advice from some good people on here. Hope you're feeling better, OP!
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Congrats to you Moose, sounds like you did just great in the Dad dept. My best to your daughters graduation & Wedding!
    cfrizz,

Thank you. I am a lucky and a very proud father!

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Personally I'd rather go with a consistent NO MEANS NO approach with consequences for ignoring this simple rule. It worked just fine for me and my brothers, we grew up to be decent hardworking adults who respect ourselves and others and the rules of society.
    I enjoyed very much spending a good part of Polkfest 2012 in the group with you and your brother. I hope you are both well and thriving!

Warm regards,

Phil

Wow, really a lot of good advice. And to the OP, I hope things are getting better. As has been stated, you have some great equipment. As recorded by Argent in 1973, "God gave rock'n'roll to you, gave rock'n'roll to you, Put it in the soul of ev'ryone". Your style may not be rock, but whatever it is, it can be very therapeutic. Of course just like in every aspect of life, there is some real 'junk' music out there, which I've learned to avoid.
    My $.02 on corporal punishment. It is used in our home whenever a child is outright rebellious. We probably used it a total of 10 times when raising 2 daughters. It was never used in anger (sometimes needed a bit of time to cool down). It was always with discussion and love with the intent to instill in them the desire to do the right thing. We always chose to err on the side of leniency vs strictness. We did not feel it appropriate once they got to about age 8 - 10. After that it was a much more of an intellectual approach of communication and removal of privileges until trust was re-established. Our daughters now have families and they, along with their husbands, are our best friends. We have used corporeal punishment once on each of our oldest grandkids (now 11 and 14), but only when we had responsibility for them for several days. There may be a few more spankings in line as we have 4 younger grandkids. But they seem to get from the older kids that they better stay within the boundaries. Our kids, and now our grandkids know the boundaries. And I think everyone, even adults, feel good about knowing that if I stay in the boundaries I can do ‘whatever’ and have a good time and enjoy life.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Finally relocated and put together!Name:  20130823_215605 (1).jpg
Views: 198
Size:  522.1 KB
    (SDA-1c with 194s, sonicaps, mills, cardas bps)
    Focal 30th Anniversary 826W
    Scoutmaster II with Classic 3 tonearm and Lyra Delos
    Manley Chinook
    PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamplifier
    Pass Labs x250
    VPI SDS
    MIT CVT 1 speaker cables
    MIT Shotgun S3.3 ICs

Looking sweet buddy...

End of the great depression
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Wow! That is exactly what I'm talkin bout. That is most beautimus.I'm glad your outa your funk. Now get your funk on!

When my son was around 4 he "accidentally" sheared off the stylus on my Shure V15 Type V cartridge. I was angry, but not at him. I hadn't mounted the TT high enough. We were into CDs by then anyway, around 1992. Try to find a way to keep and use what you have. Mount your gear high enough or in such a way they can't get their little hands on it, and as others have said, put the "fear of God" in the two younger ones. You think it's tough now? Wait till they're in their teens and tell you to go F yourself

edit, I see you did it, excellent.
    Last edited by westmassguy; 08-25-2013 at 05:55 AM.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350
    Other:
    SDA-CRS+
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals, Custom Rebuilt Equalizer
    www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Kids love to touch tweeters. Good luck.
    2CH Setup.
    CM9
    Rotel RC-1550
    Rotel RB-1070
    MIT AVT2 Interconnects

Beautiful rig!

Enjoy it in good health -- that is, keep the volume low enough not to damage your hearing!
    Family Room
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player, King Cobra XLRs
    Perreaux SM6P MKII Preamp, AQ Sky XLRs
    Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps, Morrow SP7 Cables
    SDA SRS 1.2as (RD0194s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: Xovers & Binding Post Cups, SDA Inductors & Interconnect Cables)

Exercise Room
    Wadia 171i, Supernova 6 Glass Toslink
    CA Azur 840C, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Perreaux SM6P Preamp & PMF3150 Amp, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

Quote Originally Posted by RamZet View Post
    I think we all like to touch tweeters, don't we??

TSWisla, that setup looks incredible. I would love to hear your system sometime.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Squeezebox Duet; Oppo BDP-83
    Amps: PS Audio GCPH; PS Audio DLIII(Cullen mods IV); Parasound Halo P3; B & K Reference 200.2
    Speakers: Polk - LSi15's(db sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave (In Progress)
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I see your only source is a TT so this doesn't apply directly to you but with one of these keyed electrical lockouts installed on the back panel of a preamp or AVR on the power line a person could eliminate the possibility of anyone even turning a system on. Of course this doesn't help with physical damage other than overpowering the speakers.
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...FY3m7AodAVQAoQ

edit: I guess the above might not be true for everyone, I would have opened up the cover and bypassed it after about the age of 8.
    Last edited by madmax; 08-25-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Thank you everyone. hochpt21, when you are in NE IL, give me a call.
    (SDA-1c with 194s, sonicaps, mills, cardas bps)
    Focal 30th Anniversary 826W
    Scoutmaster II with Classic 3 tonearm and Lyra Delos
    Manley Chinook
    PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamplifier
    Pass Labs x250
    VPI SDS
    MIT CVT 1 speaker cables
    MIT Shotgun S3.3 ICs

Quote Originally Posted by RamZet View Post
    As long as you leave the metal grills on your tweeters, you should be okay. My little nephew went straight for my speakers (716v) and tried to push the tweeter in. Thankfully, those grills are fairly tough, and not that easy to take off.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

The only problem I had with my kids, I have two, one in H.S. one a few years out of college and working in an office near tonyb (he moved from Boston to Chicago over the summer)? Was that the boy dropped a toy soldier into the HiFi VCR years ago. I took it to a friend to repair he opened it up removed the toy soldier and asked me if I had "kids". lol

My daughter, who is only 15 never touched "anything", nothing. Wasn't even interested in the stuff. I used to have a pair of L/R speakers that were about 30" x 16" x 10/11" that I would use to tell how much she was growing. I watched her go from a few inches shorter to being able to see over the speakers before I replaced them.

Instilling fear? Well that goes without saying. But I don't remember saying much to my daughter?

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    The issue is not if, but when. My kids are 3,5,9,12 years old. The 12 and 9 year olds would never consider touching my equipment, but as far as the 5 and especially the 3 year old go, curiosity would certainly get the better of them. But hey, I guess it is better to put me down than to offer some advice. Thank you.
    EASY SOLVE "doggie shock collars" let them get within 3 feet and let them have it! (just a few zaps) trust me they will never go neer it again!! You keep your system they get a life lesson everyone's the better for it. Just dont tell the wife! Mine got very pissed!!!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a
    McIntosh MC 2120 bi-amped
    Into JBL L123 drivers
    Rane external crossover.
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    ADCOM GDA 700 DAC ( MODDED)
    YAMMY CDC-665
    Marantz 6100 tt w/pickering XV-15/625E cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    POLK RTA-12C'S W/ RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills risistors (full mod)
    MIT exps2 speaker cable

My grandkids, since they were old enough to understand the human language, knew Papa's saying, "Keep your peanut butter and jelly fingers off the TV and stereo". I don't allow them near any of it, not even to change a dvd, period. So far so good, I still keep a watchful eye whenever they watch TV though. After all, kids will be kids.

Quote Originally Posted by soundfreak1 View Post
    EASY SOLVE "doggie shock collars" let them get within 3 feet and let them have it! (just a few zaps) trust me they will never go neer it again!! You keep your system they get a life lesson everyone's the better for it. Just dont tell the wife! Mine got very pissed!!!
    Reminds me of the episode on Cheers in which Cliff wore the shock collar and Norm got ahold of the zapper. Can't remember what habit Cliff was trying to break himself of, but it was hilarious. Payback time for Norm!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

I think the statement that: "NO MEANS NO" is all about being consistent on that statement.
    I don't know your children, However; I do see parents having debates over a "NO" statement with thier children that are ages 3 and up. It blows me away how parents (No all parents and perhaps not you) Debate the "NO" statement while shopping or at home and at other functions. The parent is in charge, not the child and there should be NO debate to that period.

I realize rasing kids is tough, I had my times of strife, but! my wife and I did not remove one item from side tables or lock-up my audio equipment because the kids might get into or damage one of these items. I think that was due to the fact; that "NO Ment NO"

I wish you all the best.
    Keep God in your actions.
    Regards: Don scheer

Amen bro, never had to do that either with any of my kids or grandkids. When I tell them not to touch something, they know I'm serious and breaking those requests comes with consequences.....which they won't like. Believe me, a few times of that and they think twice before even approaching not honoring my requests.

Thread Information