Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Any experience bi-amping Monitor 10s?

I have a pair of Monitor 10Bs that I bought a few years ago. I replaced the SL-2000 tweeters with the RDO-194s and am quite happy with the Monitor 10s, especially after setting them up with a subwoofer driven by a two-way stereo active crossover and power amp. However, I am never one to leave well enough alone, and I am looking at doing a crossover upgrade by putting some sort of film capacitors in the crossovers. Before doing that, it came to me that I already have an extra stereo power amplifier and a 3-way stereo active crossover that are begging to be used. Instead of upgrading the crossovers in the 10Bs, I could power the tweeters separately from the 6503s, crossing them over at about 3-4 kHz with an 18 dB/octave roll-off rate rather than the 12 dB/octave of the existing crossover. Has anyone on this forum done this before? What kind of problems do folks think I will run into doing this? It would actually be less additional expense for me to go the electronic crossover route than to go buy some nice film caps.

No, but I just rebuilt my XO's and am very pleased with the results. My recommendation would be to NOT bi-amp and rebuild the XO: less trouble in the long run.
    Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
    B&O TX2 Turntable
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
    Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
    LG LST-3410a OTA DVR
    Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
    Optoma HD65 Projector

Replacing the caps and resistors would be more predictable. Looking at the crossover schematic for the 10 models, it looks like there is a filter in the tweeter XO section that provides a mild equalization ramp to correct for the tweeter response. I would have to do something like that with an equalizer if I went the biamp route. Not a big deal, but it would tie up some equipment that I could put to some other project. I will probably decide after I replace the caps in a pair of Monitor 4.6s that I am using in my basement system.

Welcome to the forum! Be very careful with your choice of words. Just the mention of an equalizer on this forum could get you burned at the stake and your ashes thrown into a septic tank.
    SDA 2BTL Sonicaps Mills resistors RDO-198s New gaskets H-nuts Erse inductors Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Adcom GTP-450 preamp
    Adcom GFA-555 amp Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ Hidden away in the closet

If you only knew the kind of project I have in mind for the power amp and active crossover if I don't use them on the Monitor 10s. Probably would get me burned at the stake around here. Pay no attention to the fact that some of the elements in good crossover designs are used in an attempt to correct speaker driver frequency responses.

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Be very careful with your choice of words. Just the mention of an equalizer on this forum could get you burned at the stake and your ashes thrown into a septic tank.
    "Equalizer"

Catch me if you can!
    cristo

NAD C 545BEE cd player, Philips AF877 turntable / Shure V15V-MR with JICO SAS stylus,
    Tascam 122 mkIII cassette deck, Harman Kardon 3480 receiver, Terk FM-50 antenna in the attic,
    Soundcraftsmen SE550 stereo equalizer, Polk Monitor 10a speakers
    (with Sonicraft/Solen/Mills crossover rebuild)

If this "experiment" is at no $, go for it!

if I read your first post correctly, your EXO is 3rd order, passive-2nd order. XO your tweets fractionally below the passive frequency and listen, listen, listen.

If you don't like, buy the film caps & be happy.

Tony

Thread Information