Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by sucks2beme View Post
    Buying cars off CL? It's the pitts. It's almost impossible here in Dallas.
    Good shape means it runs. Title? Better learn the terms real well and ask up
    front. Amazing the number of people out there selling cars with no title,
    salvage title, or mechanic's lien titles. And not all mechanics liens are
    valid. And there are thousands of middle eastern or Indian guys reselling
    auction cars. And don't get me started about all the people selling fake Beats
    headphones CL is so jammed with these scammers selling their wares
    you can't find anything.
    My oldest daughter was looking at used jeeps. She found a 2005 in Bangor for 4000.00. He said 1 come 1serve. She wanted it bad..we drove in a snow blizzard. 1.5 & meet him. He said follow me. We went another 25 miles to a garage where the jeep was. It was up on jacks. Bald tires. POS. and to top it off he didnt have keys. I told her to pass before we left. But she insisted. Needless to say she got one for more money closer..SCAM ARTIST
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630-AKAI GX210d
    Pioneer-SA9800-SG9800-CTF650-TXD1000-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

Yamaha-CA810-CT810----- No Speakers Yet
    Marantz SR1000-Pioneer PM120 workbench set up

Just have to know what to look for. My last 4 cars have all been $400 or less with the exception of my current which I only paid $1000 for. The downside is those 4 cars have been over a 5 years period...

Oh how I wish I could afford something new! Just have to find the gems that are hiding.

Man you guys get lucky on some nice stuff.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I used to get cheap cars up North all the time. Upstate N.Y. was full of ugly running cars,
    If you could deal with some rust and DIY you were all set. I know what to look for.
    The problem is 90% of the cars on CL listed as for sale by owner aren't. Add to it
    the demand for cheap cars by the "future voters" from South of the border, it's next
    to impossible. It's the same reason you can't find anything audio at a garage sale or
    thrift shop. They swarm garage sales like locusts. 10 minutes after 8:00 am on Saturday
    anything worth buying at a garage sale is GONE.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sucks2beme View Post
    I used to get cheap cars up North all the time. Upstate N.Y. was full of ugly running cars,
    If you could deal with some rust and DIY you were all set. I know what to look for.
    The problem is 90% of the cars on CL listed as for sale by owner aren't. Add to it
    the demand for cheap cars by the "future voters" from South of the border, it's next
    to impossible. It's the same reason you can't find anything audio at a garage sale or
    thrift shop. They swarm garage sales like locusts. 10 minutes after 8:00 am on Saturday
    anything worth buying at a garage sale is GONE.
    100% correct. That why i say home. We in Maine have rust being close to salt water too. If you dont rustproof it correctly & stay on it. It will rust quick too
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150

I think it will depend in the area. In my area for example, the Central Valley CA, craiglist kind of suck. People put their stuff on sale, and they spec almost 100% of whatever they paid for their devices. Furthermore, it is difficult to find any good deal on technology devices, or surround sound.

However, there are times where people can get lucky, and you will find some good deals, but this doesn't happen too often.
    AVR: PIONEER SC-1522-K
    FRONT L/R: MONITOR 70 II
    CENTER: MONITOR 25C
    SURROUND L/R: JAMO S426
    SURROUND BACK L/R: ENERGRY EF-500
    SUBWOOFER: DUAL KLIPSCH RW-12D

SERVER: UNRAID 15TB
    MEDIA PLAYERS: DUNE SMART SERIES D1
    HDTV: SAMSUNG PN50A650

I got all my gear off Craigslist or thrifting. Very few of my items other than the video devices come from retail.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Quote Originally Posted by GFOviedo View Post
    I think it will depend in the area. In my area for example, the Central Valley CA, craiglist kind of suck. People put their stuff on sale, and they spec almost 100% of whatever they paid for their devices. Furthermore, it is difficult to find any good deal on technology devices, or surround sound.

However, there are times where people can get lucky, and you will find some good deals, but this doesn't happen too often.
    hopefully it will happen & when it does youll score big :) it seems to happen when least expected.
    Randy

Attachment 88039Sundays Curb Alert 20min drive free Carver :)
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by boston1450 View Post
    Attachment 88039Sundays Curb Alert 20min drive free Carver :)
    Looks like your drawer has a smiley face on it also. Congrats.
    Modest HT - Pioneer VSX 821K, RT800i, CS400 center, RT25i surrounds, Velodyne CHT-10 sub, Belkin PF30.
    Bedroom - Yamaha RX-V373, Monitor 7C, CS175i center

Boston 1450, I forgot to mention when I picked my Bose 601s not through C/L/ but at a moving sale there was also was a Sanusi receiver that really looks the same as the one that this guy also had.As the Bose and amp were relagagated to the hot steamy attic for years I told the guy I would have to try to power it up before putting a price on it. He says ok,I plug it in it warms for like 3 seconds and started to blow out real flames.I quickly unplugged and left it on the curb and told the guy obviously this is a major fire hazard and toss it. There must of been 20 years of dust build up that went ablaze...

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Craigslist is great. Some people who conduct business on Craigslist may certainly suck, but that's no different than any other marketplace. Classified ads are great too, but some people conducting business in classified ads suck.

I've bought and sold on Craigslist transactions many times, and have never had a problem. But you need to be careful. Cash is king, and the transaction must always be in person, and in a public place as often as possible. Scams are everywhere.

Here is the big scam when you sell something on Craigslist. You put up a listing to sell something, and you specify that it's local pickup only. Then you get an email that says "I've been looking all over for your camera, and haven't been able to find one. I know you don't want to ship, but I'll pay you an extra $200 if you'd ship the camera to me. Give me your paypal address and I will pay you immediately." Then you think, hmmmmm.... $200? Sure! You send the guy your paypal address, and you get paid. The money, including the extra $200, shows up in your paypal account. You transfer the money to your bank account, and figure you're all set, and you send your camera off to some p.o. box or ups store address the guy gives you. How's that a scam? Here's how - three weeks later you get a notice from paypal that they've clawed the money back from your bank account because the payment you received was made with a stolen credit card. Read the paypal customer agreement, if that happens, you're on the hook for it. So now you have no money and no camera.

When I list something for sale on Craigslist, I no longer publish my email address. When you list your email address, you get bombarded with scams. The scammer doesn't actually know your email address because Craigslist makes it anonymous, but Craigslist doesn't filter out any of these scam emails. Now, I put my cell phone number in the listing and tell people to call or text, but that I don't use email any more because of all the scams. Never had a problem since. Scammers don't want to call and talk to you, they want to hide in cyberspace.

I just sold a camera lens this week on Craigslist. Put the listing up on Saturday, and then got a text from someone on Monday. We met in a parking lot, I showed him the lens, showed him it was working fine, he gave me the cash, I gave him the lens, and we both drove away happy. Can't beat Craigslist for stuff like that.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    Craigslist is great. Some people who conduct business on Craigslist may certainly suck, but that's no different than any other marketplace. Classified ads are great too, but some people conducting business in classified ads suck.

I've bought and sold on Craigslist transactions many times, and have never had a problem. But you need to be careful. Cash is king, and the transaction must always be in person, and in a public place as often as possible. Scams are everywhere.

Here is the big scam when you sell something on Craigslist. You put up a listing to sell something, and you specify that it's local pickup only. Then you get an email that says "I've been looking all over for your camera, and haven't been able to find one. I know you don't want to ship, but I'll pay you an extra $200 if you'd ship the camera to me. Give me your paypal address and I will pay you immediately." Then you think, hmmmmm.... $200? Sure! You send the guy your paypal address, and you get paid. The money, including the extra $200, shows up in your paypal account. You transfer the money to your bank account, and figure you're all set, and you send your camera off to some p.o. box or ups store address the guy gives you. How's that a scam? Here's how - three weeks later you get a notice from paypal that they've clawed the money back from your bank account because the payment you received was made with a stolen credit card. Read the paypal customer agreement, if that happens, you're on the hook for it. So now you have no money and no camera.

When I list something for sale on Craigslist, I no longer publish my email address. When you list your email address, you get bombarded with scams. The scammer doesn't actually know your email address because Craigslist makes it anonymous, but Craigslist doesn't filter out any of these scam emails. Now, I put my cell phone number in the listing and tell people to call or text, but that I don't use email any more because of all the scams. Never had a problem since. Scammers don't want to call and talk to you, they want to hide in cyberspace.

I just sold a camera lens this week on Craigslist. Put the listing up on Saturday, and then got a text from someone on Monday. We met in a parking lot, I showed him the lens, showed him it was working fine, he gave me the cash, I gave him the lens, and we both drove away happy. Can't beat Craigslist for stuff like that.
    Those are the normal scams. 90% are in Nigeria. I can spot them a mile away from just the first text/email. If it's a text I bait them. Most are bots using Google voice. When a message comes in that the script doesn't recognize a real person comes on the line and starts texting you. At that point I go haywire on them for giggles. It's like they have no sense of what an insult is.

My friend and I made a blog (textsfromcraigslist.blogspot.com) that makes fun of these exchanges. They get better and better as time goes on. We do hundreds if not thousands of transactions a year so we're bound to get the best and worst of Craigslist all together.

Without it though, I would not have gotten 80% of my gear.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Amazing how many people don't understand the paypal scam, and figure that they're good to go once they've been paid.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    Boston 1450, I forgot to mention when I picked my Bose 601s not through C/L/ but at a moving sale there was also was a Sanusi receiver that really looks the same as the one that this guy also had.As the Bose and amp were relagagated to the hot steamy attic for years I told the guy I would have to try to power it up before putting a price on it. He says ok,I plug it in it warms for like 3 seconds and started to blow out real flames.I quickly unplugged and left it on the curb and told the guy obviously this is a major fire hazard and toss it. There must of been 20 years of dust build up that went ablaze...
    i would of like to been there to see the flames. Lol. Too bad tho :( but you should of brought hot dogs n marshmallows
    Randy

I picked up a near mint Adcom GFA-1 on CL for $50.00 yesterday. Should be able to get it up and running this weekend. Sure is a funky looking design but it has good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by rmaiers View Post
    I picked up a near mint Adcom GFA-1 on CL for $50.00 yesterday. Should be able to get it up and running this weekend. Sure is a funky looking design but it has good reviews.
    thats a great price. Rackable if im right. Nice Adcom you can get other pieces for that at reasonable prices from what i remember seeing when i was looking at that very Amp. Nice score
    Randy

Thanks. I will be on the look out for a nice vintage Adcom preamp now. I'll be interested in seeing how the Adcom compares to my Hafler rigs. I have a DH-500 driving some SDA-2Bs and a DH-200 driving some RTA-12Bs.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Be interesting to see what you think. I find Haflers to have a warmer signature than Adcoms which are more neutral and a bit more "energetic" on the high end.

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I picked up a set of monitor 10s that need a little tlc for $35

Quote Originally Posted by brwnd83 View Post
    I picked up a set of monitor 10s that need a little tlc for $35
    did you try to talk them down. Lol. Heck of a deal

Well I hooked up the Adcom through my Nikko NR-1019 preamp. I must say it brought the Monitor 10s to life and I am impressed by the sound. I think I do still prefer the sound of my Hafler DH-200 driving the RTA-12Bs. I have both systems set up in the same room so it's pretty easy to compare..

Hate to bring this thread up again, but saw this on my local CL and had to post it. Kinda goes over what most go threw listing stuff on craigslist, especially in the FREE section.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/zip/4030080227.html

^^^^That didn't last long

Flagged for removal
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Attachment 89371not sure if this is a phony or not. We see alot up here. Too strange ?
    Randy

I love craigslist, i have picked up so many free things, sold items, and bought great gear!

Only thing more amazing than your finds, is how someone could keep somthing that long and it still look so great.

I have found my best finds in the backgrounds of photos of unassuming ads.

5 marantz ma500s for 100 bucks, lying on the floor with a bunch of junk, someone had bought the harmon kardon receiver from an earlier pic, but never even asked about the long skinny metal things.

Another was a Marantzsr8000 in perfect shape for 40 bucks, only catch was you had to haul off his big old projector with blown bulbs, line doubler and laser disc player.

you will look through a lot of crap ads, but then............
    humpty dumpty was pushed

^ I need to head north and look! lol RARELY does anything worth having show up on my local CL. But....I've got my eye on a pair of "Pold Audio" bookies right now that can be had for a song. :rollseyes:
    --Gary--

Quote Originally Posted by scottyboy76 View Post
    Only thing more amazing than your finds, is how someone could keep somthing that long and it still look so great.

I have found my best finds in the backgrounds of photos of unassuming ads.

5 marantz ma500s for 100 bucks, lying on the floor with a bunch of junk, someone had bought the harmon kardon receiver from an earlier pic, but never even asked about the long skinny metal things.

Another was a Marantzsr8000 in perfect shape for 40 bucks, only catch was you had to haul off his big old projector with blown bulbs, line doubler and laser disc player.

you will look through a lot of crap ads, but then............
    i was looking for a bedframe for sale for someone & in the background was a Yamaha cr1020 i ended up talking them into selling it to me :)
    Randy

Last weekends C list find Pioneer pl35d with wired remote control- plan on having new upgrade on cart even though the one on it is fine & new one in pkg but i think it will be worth the upgrade to a better one
    Last edited by boston1450; 09-30-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    Randy

Thread Information