Tried (and bought) my first pair of speakers yesterday off Craigslist after a very long search spanning from Ohms, to PSBs, to BWs. These SDAs are, just, WOW!
Now I've got them home, and... that's it. I'm a complete neophyte and after reading the forums I've got a laundry list of questions. I travel for work M - Th and only have a few hours this weekend to set these up, so your answers will decide whether these go online this weekend or next weekend.
Speakers: Polk SDA2, with the interconnect wire
Receiver: Yamaha CR-220
Turntable: Rotel RP-2300
Other: Eventually, an iPod
Amp: S--t. I need one of those?
Speaker wire: Best Buy generic brand
1. If I screw up setting these up, will I destroy the speakers permanently?
2. Where can I find an SDA2 user manual / owner's manual? Found one post, but I needed to have posted 25 times to read it, so... alternates would be great!
- What's a starter common ground amp that could be found at Best Buy or Target? Or, if there are no good options there, TigerDirect?
- Is there a thread around that covers what to look for if Craigslisting it?
- Budget is hopefully $50 - $100 for new or used. Do amps make such a difference I should try for a good deal on a used one?
- Speaker wire runs from speaker to receiver, positive to positive, negative to negative? (apologies if this is COMPLETELY WRONG)
- Does the type of speaker wire matter?
- Interconnect cable goes from speaker to speaker
- One speaker will have a wall behind it, but no side wall. The other speaker will have half of a wall behind it and side wall 5' away. What effect will this have on the sound?
- Alternate placement: rear wall for both, one will be 3 - 5" from the side wall, the other will be about 1' from the side wall
- Is there a better option between the two?
6. What else would you consider when setting these up?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Threads/Websites I've referenced:
Wiring Schematics: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...Array%28SDA%29
Another New Polk Owner: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...light=polk+sda
Common Ground Amp Info: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...0ground%20test
SDA Alignment: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...-SDA-Alignment
User Manuals: http://www.polkaudio.com/support/manuals