Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Pass X600.5 amps

I told myself after upgrading my pre-amp to a Pass XP-20 that I was not doing anymore upgrades this year. I did want to do an amp upgrade, but was happy with my current Cambridge-Audio 840W amps as this time. My amp research had me looking at the Classe CA M600 amps at the high end of what I was willing to spend. Spec wise, the Classe and Pass are rated similar, 600W/ch @ 8 ohm and 1200/ch @ 4 ohm. Both of these amps have excellent press all over. I could find nothing negative about either. Issues in my my mind are the Classe uses a fan for cooling, and I am anal about unwanted noise, while the Pass pair costs $8000 more than the Classe amps.

Anyway, the 4th of July I was looking at used gear where I bought my pre-amp, and saw a pair of X600.5 amps with 31 months left on the transferable warranty for the same price as the Classe amps. After to many beers, I sent off an email saying I was interested, and would decide by Monday. Monday came and I said what the hey, let's do it, but by then they were sold. However, since I had just bought the pre-amp, he gave me an unused demo pair, with 36 month warranty, for the same price.

They arrived today, and are beasts at around 150 pounds each. I walked each one into the living room, and installed them. I really like that my rack has adjustable shelfs and I was able to get a few more verticals inches for cooling. As of now, they are burning in, along with two new Shunyata Ztron Python power cables. Sorry KooKooNut Audio.

They sound great right from the start, and I have been assured after a week or so they will really shine. I have to admit I am a little irritated with myself for going crazy with spending, but to bad. If worse comes to worse I can always sell and recoup a good portion.

The biggest difference so far is that I need to turn the pre up a bit higher to get the same volume as with my previous amps. Later tonight after they have warmed up for a few more hours, and the outside noise has quieted down I can really start doing critical listening. Another excuse to stay up all night and drink beer.

This is just a quick picture. While things look unlevel, I did use a level on each shelf as I moved it. The problem is the DAC is crooked in the picture.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  113.1 KB

WOW...very nice!
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Squeezebox Duet; Oppo BDP-83
    Amps: PS Audio GCPH; PS Audio DLIII(Cullen mods IV); Parasound Halo P3; B & K Reference 200.2
    Speakers: Polk - LSi15's(db sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave (In Progress)
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Mmmmmm.....pretty!
    Last edited by F1nut; 07-13-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Two words Blufox... Cable Management!

Congratulations my friend. Those are damn sexy beasts.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Two words Blufox... Cable Management!
    No sh!t.

That is my biggest gripe with better cables. They are unwieldy. All the power cables coming to the Triton is a pain, and since the rack with no gear weighs almost 400 hundred pounds, there is no getting behind it to tidy up. I just try to get signal cables to cross power cables as close to 90 degrees as I can.

Great Looking Amps and Setup FOX..

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    Great Looking Amps and Setup FOX..
    Watch out. I read your post where you mentioned you had a change of attitude towards power cords. That is what started me on this path.

Very nice set up,congrats.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Way to go Blue Fox! You got some killer kick a$$ amps there!

Those are gorgeous. Enjoy!
    HT: LSI15, LSIC, LSIFX, Emo XPA-3 Onkyo TXNR809, Sony BDP-S500, PannyDMP-BDT320, MIT S1 SC. Mit 73842dlp
    2ch: SDA-SRS 2.3 Fully modded. BAT VK500 w/batpak, BAT VK5I
    TT, cd player, In my near future.

Yes I have to watch myself I am an impulse buyer which is no good for this hobby I think..
    I am willing to try things now before shooting off my yap..
    Which is a Good thing..

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Watch out. I read your post where you mentioned you had a change of attitude towards power cords. That is what started me on this path.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Congrats, BlueFox! Awesome amps! Heard great things about Pass amps. Very nice audio gears you got there. Enjoy. Lov
    Last edited by ecod123; 07-13-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    Yes I have to watch myself I am an impulse buyer which is no good for this hobby I think..
    I am willing to try things now before shooting off my yap..
    Which is a Good thing..
    Growth and an open mind in this hobby go hand in hand. While the debate was fun, it was even more enjoyable to see you take the chance and learn from it.

Mr. Fox, I can only think of a quote from the great Ron Burgundy: "Don't act like your not impressed."
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Very sexy.

Have to ask, can your floor take all that weight?

how do they sound? pretty good?
    Polk RTA 11T ....new Xovers( Gen1 + Mundorf MOX), rewired, damped, Armacell, rings, spikes, RDO-194....
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Peachtree DAC-IT
    Morrow, Huffman cables
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by Drenis View Post
    Very sexy.

Have to ask, can your floor take all that weight?
    I think so. Ground floor of a house sitting on a concrete slab.

Quote Originally Posted by 11tsteve View Post
    how do they sound? pretty good?
    Well, I was told it will take around 5 days for them to reach their potential, especially in regard to bass. So its a bit early to judge. When I first turned them on about 6 hours ago, they sounded good, but appeared a bit harsh. However, now they are sounding pretty good. In fact, I am in awe. I thought my previous pre and amp combination sounded good, and it did, but this is just another level. One nice thing about these amps is they run in class A for about the first 90 watts, and it is a rare moment when I will be using more than that amount of power.

Well, I was told it will take around 5 days for them to reach their potential, especially in regard to bass. So its a bit early to judge. When I first turned them on about 6 hours ago, they sounded good, but appeared a bit harsh. However, now they are sounding pretty good. In fact, I am in awe. I thought my previous pre and amp combination sounded good, and it did, but this is just another level. One nice thing about these amps is they run in class A for about the first 90 watts, and it is a rare moment when I will be using more than that amount of power.
    I am a little jealous.... I am new to this journey, but it is Pass amps I dream of getting my ears on. The best I can hope for right now is maybe picking up an Aleph 30, so I applaud your step up. It's a beautiful set up.
    Polk RTA 11T ....new Xovers( Gen1 + Mundorf MOX), rewired, damped, Armacell, rings, spikes, RDO-194....
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Peachtree DAC-IT
    Morrow, Huffman cables
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

Those are monsters, and the equipment rack is very nice. What kind is it?
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Hi-Five Enjoy. They lokk pretttttttttyyyy!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"

Quote Originally Posted by zane77 View Post
    Those are monsters, and the equipment rack is very nice. What kind is it?
    These amps are huge. I need to take a photo with my old amps next to them. My brain is still used to seeing the old amps where these amp are, and there is a mental disconnect. My one big gripe so far is the lighted meter. While nice, I like having the option of turning lights off when I want. Even subtle, these keep attracting my attention, which is distracting. I need to find an esthetic way to cover them.

The rack is a Mapleshade Samson V.3 in rosewood with one 4" solid maple shelf, and three 2" solid maple shelves with 48" solid steel rods.

My one big gripe so far is the lighted meter. While nice, I like having the option of turning lights off when I want. Even subtle, these keep attracting my attention, which is distracting. I need to find an esthetic way to cover them.
    Okay. While not an aesthetic solution, this works. These amps, for whatever reason, have a faceplate on either side of the meters. This means the meters are mounted on the amps proper, and there is an approximate 1/8" gap between the meters and the faceplate. This area is approximately 9 1/2" wide and 10 1/2" high. So I cut two pieces of cardboard slightly less than that size, and slid it into the slot created by the faceplate. Eureka! Problem solved. This is why I are an engineer paid the big bucks.
    Last edited by BlueFox; 07-14-2013 at 01:37 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Congratualtions on the nice amps BF. Glad you are enjoying them.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Sweeeet Fox, congrats man.

If this is what your considering as your "retirement system", then WTF are you waiting for ? Retire already and enjoy !

Stunning! Bet they sound sweet!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    If this is what your considering as your "retirement system", then WTF are you waiting for ? Retire already and enjoy !
    This just added two more years of working to recover this money. But I can enjoy it now.

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Very, very nice. Who cares about how the cables look....

What speakers are they powering?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (10)

It's always fun to see someone who's done messing around.

I, on the other hand, will be messing around for another decade or two.

Congrats--It looks like it should be sounding great, if that makes any sense whatsoever!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Very, very nice. Who cares about how the cables look....

What speakers are they powering?
    It is nice to have good cable management, but it can quickly deteriorate. Speakers are Aerial Acoustics 7T, which I got a year ago May. They are working at their potential now, and sounding great.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

After this, what's next....the carpet?....
    Congrats!!...did you get a free Corolla with those?

Thread Information