Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default School me on CDs/SACDs and players

So the Sony CD player I have now is junk and I am looking to upgrade to something that can play SACDs. I don't know anything about them so any advice on what direction to go would be great.

I am finding that I am loosing clarity or gaining static/crap noise from certain audio tracks and I am pretty sure it is the mp3/mp4 files. Because I am hearing the same junk at the same time when I play it in my car.

Are SACDs the best format of CDs? Will there be a noticeable difference with a better CD player? Is there a way to burn SACDs?

Thanks in advance,
    Ian

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Are SACDs the best format of CDs?
    Generally speaking, yes.

Will there be a noticeable difference with a better CD player?
    Always.

Is there a way to burn SACDs?
    Not really.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

There.are some very nice sonys that also play sacd. If your system is mid fi, you might want to consider a sony sacd and see if you like the format. Sony has been doing it a long time
    "My wife likes my rig......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Marantz CD5001, [/COLOR]

HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's VR3 LSi 9's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS4 Directv Genie HD DVR Samsung 64" Plasma

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's SDA SRS 2.3's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Before you stick a knife into the cdp, you say your digital files sound like crap in the car. This obviously means you are downloading the cd's into your computer, yes ? Maybe look at that first, the program and settings your using to do that conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Before you stick a knife into the cdp, you say your digital files sound like crap in the car. This obviously means you are downloading the cd's into your computer, yes ? Maybe look at that first, the program and settings your using to do that conversion.
    Right now any CDs I burn are done through iTunes, some songs were imported from CDs, some from iTunes and various sources.

Do you have the error correction on ? Are you downloading into apple lossless or a MP3 format ?

Quote Originally Posted by ipsullivan View Post
    Right now any CDs I burn are done through iTunes, some songs were imported from CDs, some from iTunes and various sources.
    itunes only sells lossy MP3 files. You cannot buy lossless files from iTunes. Buy a real CD from Amazon, or other places.

I'm still at a loss here as to why the cdp is at fault when the complaint stems from digital files.

If your dead set on a new cdp, on a budget look for an older Pioneer AVI 59 or 79. They are universal players but are darn good as cdp's and SACD players too. Can be had under 150 bucks also if you look hard .

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I'm still at a loss here as to why the cdp is at fault when the complaint stems from digital files.

If your dead set on a new cdp, on a budget look for an older Pioneer AVI 59 or 79. They are universal players but are darn good as cdp's and SACD players too. Can be had under 150 bucks also if you look hard .
    Maybe it is not the player, it was a dvd/cd player that came with a 5.1 system back in 2007 or 2008. I guess I just figured it was lacking due to cheap price point.

I think it would be worth while getting a player that can do SACDs also.

It may be lacking....not questioning that. Hence my suggestion for a player, but also look at how your converting files, what kind of files/programs used, etc. Could be your player in the car is screwed up too or of not great quality.

The two top Sony Blu-ray players 5100 and the 790 will play SACD and a lot of other things.

Default Harmon Kardon EQ ?

Hey guys...have a cd player that is HDCD compatible.....is this the same format as SACD? HK makes it..seems to be good equipment.....thanks!!

No.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_De...atible_Digital

Quote Originally Posted by Msabot1 View Post
    Hey guys...have a cd player that is HDCD compatible.....is this the same format as SACD? HK makes it..seems to be good equipment.....thanks!!

So the Sony CD player I have now is junk and I am looking to upgrade to something that can play SACDs. I don't know anything about them so any advice on what direction to go would be great.

I am finding that I am loosing clarity or gaining static/crap noise from certain audio tracks and I am pretty sure it is the mp3/mp4 files. Because I am hearing the same junk at the same time when I play it in my car.

Are SACDs the best format of CDs? Will there be a noticeable difference with a better CD player? Is there a way to burn SACDs?

Thanks in advance,
    Ian
    There is a pretty good thread about cd/sacd in the learning center on Audiogon that might be worth your time to check out.
    Main
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A21
    CA music streamer
    Yaquin tube buffer (PearsAll)
    marantz 6005
    Morrow Sp3
    Morrow Xlr
    Lsi15 w/Fortress mod.

Bedroom
    adcom Gfp750
    Adcom 555
    Rotel 1072
    CA tuner
    LsiM703
    Clear day dbl shotgun

Lately I've been listening to an SACD in 5.1 on my S790. I am aware of the fact that an Oppo or the like would provide a more enriching experience, but for now I have no qualms about this player playing the one SACD that I own.
    Denon AVR 3312CI
    Monitor 70s 30s CS2
    PSW110

A better CDP is a catch-22. A better cdp will make a well recorded cd sound better, while making a badly recorded cd sound worse.
    And don't be fooled by the term "Re-mastered". I've plenty of those cd's sitting on the shelf, that weren't even worthy of ripping as a .wav file
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Quote Originally Posted by ratster View Post
    There is a pretty good thread about cd/sacd in the learning center on Audiogon that might be worth your time to check out.
    Can't seem to find it, any chance you could post the link?

Thanks.

There is nothing wrong with a 790 in fact Sony over Hdmi is pretty good IMHO. IF you want to play only SACD
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1427207/be...st-sacd-player

Quote Originally Posted by sponger View Post
    Lately I've been listening to an SACD in 5.1 on my S790. I am aware of the fact that an Oppo or the like would provide a more enriching experience, but for now I have no qualms about this player playing the one SACD that I own.

Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a 790 in fact Sony over Hdmi is pretty good IMHO. IF you want to play only SACD
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1427207/be...st-sacd-player
    Agreed. I have an Oppo 103 and love it, but the Sony 790 is a great machine for SACD/BD play at half the price of the Oppo.

Like the song goes..."My fellow Polkies all have Oppos. I must make amends."

I do appreciate the positive feedback on the S790. It's the blu ray player that could. I do wish it had glowing buttons, but other than that I have no complaints. Nice to know that I'm not missing out.
    Denon AVR 3312CI
    Monitor 70s 30s CS2
    PSW110

I have the opportunity to buy a Sony DVP S9000ES for $150. I did some research and its seems to be a great player. Any thoughts on it? Anyone have or used one before?

Member Sales Rating: (28)

I have the opportunity to buy a Sony DVP S9000ES for $150. I did some research and its seems to be a great player. Any thoughts on it? Anyone have or used one before?
    The S9000ES has a good reputation for sound and build quality, but the optical pickups go bad and are expensive to replace, and (worst of all), they are known to have difficulty playing CD-R/RW. I'd stay away from it if you like to burn music.

Some of the older CD/SACD only (not DVD) Sonys are very good sounding and have no issues playing CD-R/RW. I have a SCD-C333ES that I've had for about 7 years and it has never had an issue with a CD-R. Very nice sound as well. If you want to stick to single disc players, you may also consider some of the Pioneer Elite DVD/CD/SACD and/or the Denon equivalents. I've had the Denon 2900 and the 3930CI in my systems at one point. Both were nice units. In fact, the 3930 is right up there with some of the best players. It runs hot though and I was having over-heating problems due to lack of cabinet clearance. Eventually I settled on my Pioneer PD-D9. I LOVE it.

However, reading the entire thread, I do believe your problem lies with source material, and not your player. Itunes is not a good source for audiophile reference material. If you stick with downloading, take the effort to find FLAC files of well mastered material (ie Steve Hoffman/DCC, MFSL, etc.) You have to be resourceful though since many of the best recordings are out of print. You can often find original (ie: CDs) of them on Ebay, but be prepared to pay dearly for those.
    Last edited by billbillw; 07-30-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Thread Information