Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default I Ruined both my SL2000 Tweeters!!

I am in the process of salvaging my old RTA11t drivers to make a DIY enclosure for a friend, and while carrying the 2 tweeters, from my work area in my garage into my house, I tripped and ended up literally throwing both of them several feet and they both hit the ground very hard. I see no actual damage, but as soon as I tried them out, both are making a rubbing/buzzing sound on midrange sounds such as Piano, voices etc.

Is there any possible way of fixing them at all, or are they toast?

They still make sound, and treble, but there is a fairly noticeable buzzing on many sounds.

I am assuming the dome is good as it looks perfect, so not sure what did happen exactly.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Sounds like they are cooked.

If they hit the ground that hard they may be bent causing the voicecoil to rub. I'd say they're toast, especially seeing as upgraded replacements are only $48 a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by ambiophonics View Post
    If they hit the ground that hard they may be bent causing the voicecoil to rub. I'd say they're toast, especially seeing as upgraded replacements are only $48 a pop.
    Yes, looks like both actually hit dome side down, and somehow shifted the dome and maybe stretched it a tiny bit. So now the voice coil is rubbing somewhat.

I used a tiny screwdriver (since it appears ruined anyways) and tried pushing on a few points and even lifted up the dome, around the edges, surprisingly it was barely glued down at all! I got the sound to change to normal, but I doubt I would be able to reglue it exactly where it needs to be with any real precision.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by kevintomb View Post
    but I doubt I would be able to reglue it exactly where it needs to be with any real precision.
    I would agree. There are upgrade replacements as mentioned above, or you can find exact replacements on Ebay.

I have the 2 SL2000 from my 5 JRs if you want originals. PM me if you want.
    Polk 5jr+
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Keces DA-131
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, AQ King Cobra
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

You did yourself a favor. Replace them with RD0-194's and let your ears rejoice!
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

If you're going to drop a pair of Polk tweeters, can't think of a better pair to put out of their misery. Get the 194s, or the 198s if you can "TL" your project.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ished...Almost
    Center: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, H-Nuts, BH5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Sadly, I have owned these since about 1989! I know the old SL2000 is far from perfect, but it has some sentimental value to me.

I was used to using them in my old RTA11t Speakers for years, and kinda grew used to that sound, and was able to tame it mostly.

I was looking at *gasp* aftermarket replacements also. Not sure what I will do, as this was being built for my friend and did not even tell him yet...LOL>

Sadly, I have owned these since about 1989! I know the old SL2000 is far from perfect, but it has some sentimental value to me.

I was used to using them in my old RTA11t Speakers for years, and kinda grew used to that sound, and was able to tame it mostly.

I was looking at *gasp* aftermarket replacements also. Not sure what I will do, as this was being built for my friend and did not even tell him yet...LOL>
    Polk makes *better* tweeters to replace those now. They are RDO-194's and can be purchased directly from them at a discounted rate if you mention you are a Club Polk member. I *think* you also get free shipping but dont quote me on that. I believe the total cost for them is about 100 bucks all said and done.

They are drop in replacements so they fit in the stock holes with no additional modifications needed to the cabinet or crossovers.

Or you can scour the web for SL2000's. Also might want to place a "Wanted" ad in the Flea Market here in case someone has a pair they wouldn't mind selling. I havent upgraded my RTA 11tl's yet and when I do I will prob keep the SL3000's in mine as backups.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Polk makes *better* tweeters to replace those now. They are RDO-194's and can be purchased directly from them at a discounted rate if you mention you are a Club Polk member. I *think* you also get free shipping but dont quote me on that. I believe the total cost for them is about 100 bucks all said and done.

They are drop in replacements so they fit in the stock holes with no additional modifications needed to the cabinet or crossovers.

Or you can scour the web for SL2000's. Also might want to place a "Wanted" ad in the Flea Market here in case someone has a pair they wouldn't mind selling. I havent upgraded my RTA 11tl's yet and when I do I will prob keep the SL3000's in mine as backups.

OOH more information, I am not using a stock polk speaker cabinet, but a salvaged group of drivers, from my old RTA 11t's. They were stored for a while and had water get into the particle board and swell it a lot and make the boxes not usable really.

I took out the drivers, and am trying to make a new smaller speaker for a friend out of the remains.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

OOH more information, I am not using a stock polk speaker cabinet, but a salvaged group of drivers, from my old RTA 11t's. They were stored for a while and had water get into the particle board and swell it a lot and make the boxes not usable really.

I took out the drivers, and am trying to make a new smaller speaker for a friend out of the remains.
    You a Steelers Fan by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by brgman View Post
    You a Steelers Fan by chance?

Of course! You literally have to be if you live near pittsburgh!

I have a pair of SL2000s from my 1Cs or SRS1.2s (I'm not sure which because I replaced the tweeters in both pairs of speakers with RDO-194s).

I'll sell them, if you're interested. Just let me know.
    Family Room
    PS Audio PW MKII DAC, PW Transport; AQ Vodka IC
    Perreaux SM6P MKII Preamp, AQ Sky XLRs
    Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps, Morrow SP7 Cables
    SDA SRS 1.2as (RD0194s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: Xovers & Binding Post Cups, SDA Inductors & Interconnect Cables)

Exercise Room
    Wadia 171i, Supernova 6 Glass Toslink
    CA Azur 840C, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Perreaux SM6P Preamp & PMF3150 Amp, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

Pics? I gotta see...
    |Fronts - Peerless RTA-12B | Center(s) - Peerless Monitor 5 | Rears - Peerless Monitor 4 |
    |Amp for fronts - Yamaha CA-1010 | Preamp (and amp for center/rears) - RX-V667 |
    |TV - Philips 46" Smart LED | Gaming - Xbox One - Xbox 360 | Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1 |

Sentimental value? They're just tweeters and not that good over time to begin with. I completely understand wanting to keep certain sets of speakers but you said you were gutting these to make new cabinets for a friend so the rap of sentimentality is out the window. If you want the new boxes to perform then get the RDO 194s or get in touch w/ MosseMan or Steve and get the originals. I had what I thought were pristine 2Bs and was proven wrong and they did need upgrading which I did. Your accident could be a blessing in diguise.
    2chl- Adcom 555- NAD 1020a pre- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson - 9 outlet- Niles - 6 zone spkr selector- DCM TF 350s- ADC 303ax- KLH 331- Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs w/ ic cable (Dynamat extreme, black hole-5- Mills 0.5 resistor, liquid nails, RDO- 194 tweeters, Larry's rings, Armaflex gaskets, stained walnut tops )

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #500HD Speaker set- Sony ce 375 5 disc carosel cdp-

Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL J2060

Well, an update to my Frankenpolk build. I ended up having an offer to buy another brand tweeter to replace the old SL2000's. A guy I know on another forum, sold me some mildly used VIFA tweeters for quite a bargain. Ended up hooking them up, and changing the crossover a bit. Removed both resistors on the high pass network, and them used them in series with the positive leads of the new tweeter to pad it down a decent bit.

Sounds a lot better than the old SL2000's, and my friend and I did not want to spend much on these after thinking long and hard about it. We ended up getting the VIFA tweeters for only 15 bucks, both shipped. Too good to pass up.

They do sound very good, in fact far better than the old SL2000s for sure. Hated to go non polk, but now after hearing them, quite happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    Sentimental value? They're just tweeters and not that good over time to begin with. I completely understand wanting to keep certain sets of speakers but you said you were gutting these to make new cabinets for a friend so the rap of sentimentality is out the window. If you want the new boxes to perform then get the RDO 194s or get in touch w/ MosseMan or Steve and get the originals. I had what I thought were pristine 2Bs and was proven wrong and they did need upgrading which I did. Your accident could be a blessing in diguise.
    Well fixed things up, but kept the old polk tweeters in a storage drawer..., one is very fuzzy sounding, the other just very mildly fuzzy!

Not sure they have any value at all, even as parts, but they look fine, but just buzz some on certain sounds.

Trash or try to find someone needing parts?

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    You did yourself a favor. Replace them with RD0-194's and let your ears rejoice!
    You got that right!!!

Thread Information