I decided to finally upgrade the crossovers in my HT speakers. I purchased 3 of Trey's (VR3) beautiful aluminum binding post plate kits, but after I got them decided I wanted to do something slightly different. Instead of stacking I wanted a more modular design and decided to mount two panels horizontally on the rods, the top panel would have the tweeter/mid circuits on it and the bottom panel would have the woofer circuits. I wanted to be able to slide each panel onto the rods, so I purchased custom cut unclad FR4 black boards (PCB) to which I attached square hollow aluminum tubing with 3M VHB tape. I needed a slightly longer length than the rods that came with the kit and I wanted to use stainless steel, so new rods were purchased. At the rear end I used one of the Delrin plates that came with the kit. I mounted a Molex type connector block to it and the mating connector to the internal wires. This makes it a breeze to remove the crossovers if needed. Of course, I stuffed the boards with Sonicaps and Mills. All point to point wiring with panels installed to cover the wiring. I used stainless steel socket head bolts and Hurricane nuts to attach the new crossover plates to the cabinet for a complete custom look.
The new RTiA7 crossovers
The original RTiA7 crossovers minus the inductors
The new RTiA6 crossover
View of the other side
They are still burining in, but right away I noticed that the soundstage width increased dramatically, the slightly edgy treble is now much smoother and there is more weight to the mids.