Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DR. Bose dies

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default DR. Bose dies

Dr. Amar Bose passed away today.I don't think anyone is saying anything bad about that.I just went back and reread reviews of the 901s both the originals and late series 6.The guy reviewing the series 6 bought them himself ,Bose refused a test set so as he said $1400 and 6 days later they came w/ the stands.The review in a nutshell was mostly ALL poitive and he even reversed the position to have the backs in front like his friends did but did reverse them. Playing at first w/ a vintage Pioneer receiver he liked them. Then you have the Stereophile magazine review of either the originals or early series by Julian Hirsch which again was positive.I have heard them paired w/a Marantz series 22xx something and in 78' they were the deal.I still think they are way to placement sensitive to bother w/ and much prefered my 601s w/ the switch that if you wanted to bounch the sound off the walls you could or just have them front firing.Mine were very powerful and bass happy,I do not remeber the 901s to be that way.
    Yo Doc R.I.P.

Minor footnote;the reviewer originally used just plain speaker wire 14 gu and simple RCA IC for the equalizer.Later he did switch to higher end both spkr and ICs and said considerable difference for both mids and highs...

For what its worth, this was news last week. It was also posted in the clubhouse I think.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

He died July 12th.
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

May the company follow him.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Lol!!
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    WOW

"May the company follow him."

not a fan I guess.....

Member Sales Rating: (12)

May he rest in peace in a suite in heaven with a WaveRadio and Accoustimas Surround...

The company however can go straight.... well you know.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in WI View Post
    not a fan I guess.....
    How can anyone be a fan of those responsible for introducing millions to bad sound!?!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (17)

My new car has Bose Speakers :(
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

How can anyone be a fan of those responsible for introducing millions to bad sound!?!
    I find it remarkable how so many have purchased a Bose product at the super high prices over the years. (well leave out the 901's as those were special to so many). To me it says:

What sounds good to the average BOSE consumer is different than what sounds good to a critical listener. Bose is not to blame there.

Dr Bose's psychoacoustic philosophy must be more than just marketing hype....because IMO it would take more than marketing to get someone to shell out $2500-$3300 for one of their Lifestyle systems. I think Bose brings a lot of both to the game....and play the game very well.

I would love to have some of that Bose money to spend on other high end audio. If they were publicly traded I would buy some of their stock

As the saying goes....."Don't hate the Player....Hate the Game!"
    Last edited by WLDock; 07-18-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Dr Bose's psychoacoustic philosophy must be more than just marketing hype....because IMO it would take more than marketing to get someone to shell out $2500-$3300 for one of their Lifestyle systems.
    That's where you are wrong, their marketing machine is second to none. Bose is absolutely to blame.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Might as well add Apple to that list....again, marketing second to none trumps good sound.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Just ask Mr N Young
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

So, how about an update. Is Dr. Bose still dead ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigbluelight View Post
    Word has it he is to be cremated with a small amount of his ashes to rest inside a new line of Bose speakers than will make them sound like 100 grand speakers. At a price only for the most affluent. Magic fairy dust from the creator himself, hows that for marketing.

I jest of course, don't mean to make fun of the dead. May his family find strength in his passing.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

This news Blose.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

That's where you are wrong, their marketing machine is second to none. Bose is absolutely to blame.
    Oh, NO Doubt their marketing team kicks MAJOR ass each and every day and takes home names and LARGE bonus checks!!!

But, hear me on this one......have you ever talked to a Bose supporter? I have, and they all think their system is the best sounding thing since ....ever!...even as good as the BIG speaker systems. I've heard this from several....even a bud who is a car audio nut...well, more of an SPL nut...still, I thought he should know better....NOT!

Anyway, as quoted from the Audioholics article, "Dr Bose researched and set out to design a system that sounded the way he thought people wanted" When you talk to a Bose supporter, they will tell you that Bose got it right. Who would have thought?
    I guess there is an "US" (Audiophiles) and "Them"(BOSE, Beats by Dr DRE, OEM IPod, etc) in audio.....Money is changing hands on both sides!
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday???
    OPPO 105 | Cary or Rogue Audio tube Preamp | Parasound HALO A21 amp | DIY Mini Statements towers

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Unconfirmed reports have him in "stable" condition.

Quote Originally Posted by WLDock View Post
    Oh, NO Doubt their marketing team kicks MAJOR ass each and every day and takes home names and LARGE bonus checks!!!

But, hear me on this one......have you ever talked to a Bose supporter? I have, and they all think their system is the best sounding thing since ....ever!...even as good as the BIG speaker systems. I've heard this from several....even a bud who is a car audio nut...well, more of an SPL nut...still, I thought he should know better....NOT!

Anyway, as quoted from the Audioholics article, "Dr Bose researched and set out to design a system that sounded the way he thought people wanted" When you talk to a Bose supporter, they will tell you that Bose got it right. Who would have thought?
    I guess there is an "US" (Audiophiles) and "Them"(BOSE, Beats by Dr DRE, OEM IPod, etc) in audio.....Money is changing hands on both sides!
    Knowing what you know, would you like to be as wrong as those people are? If they are that wrong about audio (fairly simple stuff), it makes you wonder what else they're totally clueless (but "informed") about. What did Bose get right? The advertising paragraphs? If they got the sound part right you might see their products in the same showroom with competitive products. But you don't because it's easier/nicer to make the rules when you're the guy with the gold. Are they the first and only audio company that never advertises in audio trade or consumer magazines? I think so. What could be the reason for that other than knowing full well they're wasting breath and money on the informed.

The totally uninformed with cash to burn buy Bose because they can. Uninformed hopefuls without money save their hard earned cash to purchase this stuff (THAT is sad). Nothing more and nothing less.
    Last edited by George Grand; 07-19-2013 at 02:43 PM.

As a former alarm installer my boss became a Bose distributor. We installed the 3-rm systems amps that looked like car amps and they either hung in a closet or more so a bsmt wall.Used were hi-hat type ceiling speakers and 2-wire vol controls all h/r to the amps.Also he sold either the Lifesyle 50 and 30s for $5000 and $3000. All were proprietry to Bose alone. Not till much later did they come out w/ speakers that were compatible w/ your own gear. People buying new houses in the late 90s and early2000s ate them up.Some even insisted that we wall the cubes and cover w/ generic flush mt grills if you can believe that. Customers got what they thought was audiophile quality gear and we all know it doesn't come close.

A chicken in every pot, a car in every garage, a Bose system in every home. Lofty, but attainable goals for the informed and progressive society.

Bose is successful for the same reason the Camry is the number one selling car in America.
    Fronts - LS-90
    Center - CS-400i
    Sides - FX-1000
    Rears - AB755 (2)
    Sub - SVS 25-31 PC-Plus
    Amp - B&K AVR317

Yes, and so is Franco.

Attachment 87666This comment on utube was funny
    Randy
    HT-SDA1c Yamaha-RXV1-Denon-POA2200-HK DVD25-Cs400i-Monitor4's-Premier Acoustic150
    2ch-SDA2b-ADCOM GFA-555-565-600-555-YaQinCd2-Pioneer PL-630-AKAI GX210d
    Pioneer-SA9800-TXd1000-CTf9191-RT-909-Monitor11-Peerless
    Marantz-2252b-5025b-6300-YaQinCd1-TeacA4010s-Monitor7
    Yamaha-CR2040-Advent2-TeacA4010s-Monitor7

Yamaha-CA810-CT810----- No Speakers Yet
    Marantz SR1000-Pioneer PM120 workbench set up

That high end audio clip always gets me laughing.

Thread Information