Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Inthefade View Post
    Seller pulled the ad.

I know sometimes people don't tell the truth. I asked him twice it the tweeters were replace and he said no.
    Said he bought new in 88 or 89 in Utah and didn't change a thing.
    Entirely plausible that the original owner did the mod himself, but they are not correct for the speaker. Grab some RDO 194's and sell the SL3000's on eba.

Congrats on the speakers... for 400 bucks, you STOLE those, so ROCK 'em like you swiped 'em!
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

FYI Jesse... my TL's are consecutive SN's

L 6253
    R 6254
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 07-19-2013 at 11:44 PM.
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (13)

my TL's are consecutive SN's
    That's highly unusual.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (0)

This will make it much easier. oh and pictures can't be much bigger than 300K in size to upload here

http://www.gimpod.com/sda-id.html

So the tweeters with the foam are sl3000? And the serial numbers I have indicate the wrong tweeters are in them?

From Gimpod's link.....
    SDAs ceased production in 1991.
    That's not quite right. Mine were made in June 1992. I've never heard of a later date, so I believe June 1992 was the actual end.

BTW, mine are 2 numbers apart.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Congrats!
    $400 is a screaming deal.

Boston A400,VR950, DefTech BP10,, Klipsch Forte,KSP-400,KSF-C5,RF3,RC3.
    JBL L20t,L80t3, EPI 20+,T/E 280, Polk 4,4.5,5A,7C, KEF Coda III, Yamaha NS-690, Genesis 3+.
    SUB:Deftech PF15TL+, DCM TB1010, Velodyne VA08BVX10. Pre: HK AP2500. Amps: BB175, Adcom GFA-535,555II, Rotel RB-990BX.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    That's highly unusual.
    What can I say... that's just how I roll.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    FYI Jesse... my TL's are consecutive SN's

L 6253
    R 6254
    +1 , that is___ highly unusual John And Jesse's were two numbers apart? Maybe towards the end that's how Polk was pairing them out to be sold and shipped???

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[2].JPG
Views:	60
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	87746Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1] (3).JPG
Views:	57
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	87747Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1] (4).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	87748Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1].JPG
Views:	65
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	87749Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1] (2).JPG
Views:	58
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	87750
    “Music has always been a matter of Energy to me, a question of Fuel. Sentimental people call it Inspiration, but what they really mean is Fuel. I have always needed Fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Does it make it official? There not in the best of shape but with $ and time they will be reborn.

You guys want any other pictures?
    “Music has always been a matter of Energy to me, a question of Fuel. Sentimental people call it Inspiration, but what they really mean is Fuel. I have always needed Fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

I would like to know how to clean the drivers. They feel sticky for lack of better words. The bottom of them have some dust and lint I cant just vacuum or wipe off with a dry towel.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Also I think the tweeters are sl2000. The foam I felt wasn't as thick as the pictures on gimpod and the screws are different toward the center of the dome. One out of 8 of them is black instead if silver.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Oh, and sorry for the crappy pictures. Its also a temporary setup. The wife likes the 2B's instead of a speaker taller than her in the family room.

She gave me a month or two upstairs if we cant find a nice spot for them.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

You got a great deal on those speakers. I'm sure you can find a way to convince your wife that taller speakers are somehow better. :)

The drivers are supposed to be "tacky". Clean them with Windex and a microfiber cloth. I used that method and I believe it's the recommended approach by many including F1Nut.

You may want to take a picture of the one tweeter that is different. It's an obvious replacement but without a clear picture folks here wouldn't be able to tell if its an SL3000 or one of the newer RDO 194s. If it's the latter, there's one less tweeter to replace to upgrade your speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by GospelTruth View Post
    You got a great deal on those speakers. I'm sure you can find a way to convince your wife that taller speakers are somehow better. :)

The drivers are supposed to be "tacky". Clean them with Windex and a microfiber cloth. I used that method and I believe it's the recommended approach by many including F1Nut.

You may want to take a picture of the one tweeter that is different. It's an obvious replacement but without a clear picture folks here wouldn't be able to tell if its an SL3000 or one of the newer RDO 194s. If it's the latter, there's one less tweeter to replace to upgrade your speakers.
    Be absolutely CERTAIN that you spray the Windex lightly on the CLOTH and not directly on the drivers!!!!

The 4 musts for rehabbing these beauties...

1 Upgrade the tweeters
    2. Re do the crossovers
    3. Contact Toolfan66 and see if Larry may have a set of rings for you. Install the rings along with new Armacell tape gaskets.
    4. Contact the Parts department @ Magnepan for your speaker cloth and install it when you refinish the woodwork.

All told, the above will run a tad over a grand, but some of that coin will be recovered by selling off the original tweeters. The rest will be repaid with a smile that makes you look like Jack Nicholson's version of the Joker...

For a total investment of 1500.00, you will have a speaker that performs well against anything you can find under ten grand.

Congrats.

Well, I would say you have been truly blessed

Now do not spray anything directly on the drivers.
    These in a smokers home? That would make them sticky.
    Anyway I cleaned mine with a soft terry hand size damp cloth
    with a little windex for a little extra punch, rinsing often then dryed with a soft cloth
    A little 1" brush works good for the corners.
    Now for me, I used Turtle Wax F21 Protectant applied with a 1'' brush and
    another soft cloth to remove the excess.

http://www.turtlewax.com/detail-F21%...oz-43-115.aspx

Does it make it official? There not in the best of shape but with $ and time they will be reborn.

You guys want any other pictures?

Don't use anything else on the drivers but a sparingly small amount of Windex.

Be absolutely CERTAIN that you spray the Windex lightly on the CLOTH and not directly on the drivers!!!!
    Congrats.
    Thanks for clarifying nooshinjohn. I think I should have a rule where I don't respond to either email or a post after 11pm PST. In my head I knew what I was saying, but I should have been more specific on how to actually use the Windex and cloth. It also worked well on cleaning off the white residue on the dust caps, but once again, Windex on the cloth and being very gentle in cleaning.

Worked like a charm though.

Name:  photo[1] (6).JPG
Views: 78
Size:  184.3 KB
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Name:  photo[1] (5).JPG
Views: 79
Size:  99.7 KB
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Name:  photo[2] (2).JPG
Views: 83
Size:  151.8 KB
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Those are SL 3000's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    These in a smokers home? That would make them sticky.
    Not sure if anyone smoked in the home. you can see in the pictures of the tweeters the dust and dirt on the drivers.

With the close ups can someone tell which tweeter these are? There are 7 "silver" dome and 1 "black" dome.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Those are SL 3000's for sure.
    Ha you replied while I was typing. So 30 on the bay for them?
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

sounds good to me... how many of them have you got?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I WOULD NOT use any silicone containing products on these it "could" migrate under the glue on the rubber surrounds and compromise the glue.

Did these come with both types of tweeters?

sounds good to me... how many of them have you got?
    8 total but one isn't making music. When I have a minute I was going to pull it and see if a wire is disconnected.

I have to let my slush fund recuperate before the mods begin.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Remove a set of drivers from them and record the model numbers please. One inside driver and one outside driver from the same cabinet will do.

Not sure if anyone smoked in the home. you can see in the pictures of the tweeters the dust and dirt on the drivers.
    The drivers are suppose to be sticky and the dust and dirt is typical for the age of the speakers. It's got nothing to do with smoking.

With the close ups can someone tell which tweeter these are? There are 7 "silver" dome and 1 "black" dome.
    Your original photo in post #39 shows four SL2000's. Your photo in post #51 shows two SL3000's.

Putting any kind of wax, sealer, polish, etc. on the drivers is an extremely bad idea.

Thread Information