Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Digital Audio

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Digital Audio

Having a brain fart so help me out here.

I am using a Sunfire TGP-II pre-amp and my computer as a source.

I have a onboard coaxial connection and also a Meridian Explorer USB DAC.

My source files are all mostly FLAC CD rips, and a couple downloaded 24 bit 44 kHz files.

If I use coaxial from the computer I am using the TGP-II's DAC, if I use the Meridian Explorer I am using the DAC in it.

On paper is either DAC chip better? Or is it better to let the TGP do the decoding so as to avoid one more analog connection? The computer to TGP via coaxial makes for just one set of analog cables, but I can't send higher Rez files to it without it down converting the signal correct?

Thoughts?

PS would type more but it's hard to do on my iPhone.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

If you use the coax from the computer to the Sunfire you are using the dac in the Sunfire. If you want to use the Meridian I would try the usb from the computer and compare it to the coax into the meridian. Then analog out to the Sunfire. Depending on the usb capabilities the usb input could sound better due to better processing. The coax out of the pc may have more jitter ect. The differences on paper mean almost nothing due to power supply differences that feed the dacs. The only way to know is to listen to all 3 possible connections and decide for your self. I find the I2S connection with no oversampling and no reclocking sounds best in my system. I saw your post earlier but the phone is not the easy way to say what is needed.
    D: SDTrans384 via I2S Teleporter-> Twisted Pear Audio Buffalo III DAC w Legato III I/V via XLR to Relaixed2 Preamp via XLR to Parasound A-21-> SDA-2.3 w/ RDO, Soniccrafts caps, Larry's Rings;
    A: Soundsmith Ruby LC Denon DL-103R-> Nothingham Spacedeck-> Hagerman Bugle2;

C: Flac with Mediamonkey4 via coax SPDIF from Juli@24/192 -> Buffalo III
    V: Vinyl rips-> ESI Juli@24/192-> SPDIF-> Buffalo III

SACD: Sony 333es via RCA

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    The computer to TGP via coaxial makes for just one set of analog cables,
    Thoughts?.
    Hold the phone, are you saying from the 'puter to the TGP is an analog connection ? If so, your not using that dac in the TGP. I think we were under the impression that you were using a digital coax cable, as in one cable.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Hold the phone, are you saying from the 'puter to the TGP is an analog connection ? If so, your not using that dac in the TGP. I think we were under the impression that you were using a digital coax cable, as in one cable.
    Tony, I should have been a bit more clear, Yes I am using a digital coaxial cable from the computer to the TGP.

I just bought the BlackCat digital cable from Phil to replace the one I have right now.

It does make sense that the computer can add jitter if using coaxial. If I use the Meridian Explorer I don't have to worry about jitter.

But besides better processing and possibly less jitter, am I gaining anything? The computer can pass the bitrate I am using the most 16/44.1 as can the Meridian.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
    If you use the coax from the computer to the Sunfire you are using the dac in the Sunfire. If you want to use the Meridian I would try the usb from the computer and compare it to the coax into the meridian. Then analog out to the Sunfire. Depending on the usb capabilities the usb input could sound better due to better processing. The coax out of the pc may have more jitter ect. The differences on paper mean almost nothing due to power supply differences that feed the dacs. The only way to know is to listen to all 3 possible connections and decide for your self. I find the I2S connection with no oversampling and no reclocking sounds best in my system. I saw your post earlier but the phone is not the easy way to say what is needed.
    So your suggesting I try the coaxial from the computer compared to the usb to the meridian and optical out from it into the Sunfire?
    Last edited by EndersShadow; 07-27-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    But besides better processing and possibly less jitter, am I gaining anything? The computer can pass the bitrate I am using the most 16/44.1 as can the Meridian.
    Bump....... Anyone
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (13)

There's no a answer to your question until your try both ways and listen. There are too many factors involved in the process. The ultimate answer will be what sounds best to you.

I like Bikerboy's answer - too much asking which product is better and relying on regurgitated opinion when the answer could be gained from listening. Bottom line is how it sounds not what someone tells you is better.

I can tell you this - when you use USB as your dac interface then the DAC is installing itself into your OS as an external sound card. If you have WASAPI drivers for the driver installed to the DAC then great but the collective knowledge out there kind of points to USB as being an inferior mechanism for transmitting audio to an end device.

I would recommend installing a WASAPI driver for your onboard soundcard/chipset, setting it to SPDIF passthrough (i.e. your soundcard and computer don't touch the audio stream, just pass it out bit for bit) and let an external DAC do it's job. Whether you use digital coax or toslink the bits are the same, it doesn't matter which you choose nor does the cable type matter since they are just transmission mediums for data.

Well the Meridian has been sold for a bit and I have set it up as suggested.

I have to use coax as the optical port on the motherboard is broke. Been nmenjoying it like that for along time.

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

No difference in sq regardless between coax/toslink so no big deal.

Cool,

BTW glad to see you here

Sales Rating
    Gear

Thread Information